V-sync and FreeSync on removes the FPS cap enforced by v-sync

MythicalSnake

Enabling v-sync while having FreeSync on, removes the FPS cap enforced by v-sync. My monitors HZ jumps from 80-144 whenever the FPS is above 144. Disabling FreeSync makes v-sync run at its expected behavior - it locks the FPS to my monitors refresh rate. Why would this be? I've searched online about this issue, but it seems like I'm the only one experiencing it. If not - does anybody know how to solve it?

Affected titles include:

- Doom Eternal

- Going Under

- The Walking Dead: Definitive Edition

Sunset Overdrive

- Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair

PC: 

- Ryzen 9 5900X

- RX 6800 XT

- 32GB RAM

- 1440p 144HZ monitor

Example: 

Why do you want to have FreeSync and Vsync on at the same time?

Vs is basically a crude, inferior solution to the same problem Fs solves.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Just now, Middcore said:

Why do you want to have FreeSync and Vsync on at the same time?

Vs is basically a crude, inferior solution to the same problem Fs solves.

When the FPS goes above my monitors refresh rate, I'll get screen-tearing. One solution is locking the FPS through AMD Chill / RTSS. That doesn't work however, as I would have to go as low as 130 to not see screen-tearing anymore with v-sync off. Another issue with that is that my monitor won't lock to 130HZ, but it will jump around between 100-144. 

I don't mind the additional input lag, and so, v-sync and FreeSync together give the best and smoothest result for me. For what it's worth, it's also what AMD recommends.

2 minutes ago, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

Can you confirm FreeSync is enabled?

Yes - as seen in the video at 0:36 and I've also monitored its behavior, as I noticed it jumping around whenever the FPS went over 144. 

I've been gaming with GSync for years now and I simply cap my framerate on games that routinely would go above my displays refresh rate. Enabling VSync along with GSync is often recommended but I can't handle the sluggish feeling. 

If capping frames 2-3FPS below your displays refresh rate doesn't work and you see tearing, it sounds like Freesync isn't actually working.

1 hour ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I've been gaming with GSync for years now and I simply cap my framerate on games that routinely would go above my displays refresh rate. Enabling VSync along with GSync is often recommended but I can't handle the sluggish feeling. 

If capping frames 2-3FPS below your displays refresh rate doesn't work and you see tearing, it sounds like Freesync isn't actually working.

It's working, but FreeSync is a bit more (or can be a bit more) fuzzy than Gsync displays (with the module and all) with locking FPS. I saw that in a Battle(non)sense video from a couple years ago if I recall correctly. Thanks for the help though! 🙂