CPU frequency goes down to 0.79 Ghz/0.61 Ghz after waking up

Hello, so, some days ago I started having this problem where if I close and open my laptop (I mean, bringing the screen close to the keyboard) CPU clock goes down to the frequencies stated in the title, same if I clck "suspend" and then I wake it up, if you guys have any idea what could be happening and how could I solve it I would appreciate if you could tell me, thank you in advance.

My laptop is the dell precision m6600 and I'm using windows 10, any info you would need to try to help me you can tell me and I'll try to provide it.

Is there a reason why you want your laptop to have higher clock speeds when you either close it or shut it off? Imo seems normal to me since I don't see much of a reason for a laptop to keep up its clock speeds if it's not actively being used/ save battery life when sleeping

24 minutes ago, DanWhite said:

Hello, so, some days ago I started having this problem where if I close and open my laptop (I mean, bringing the screen close to the keyboard) CPU clock goes down to the frequencies stated in the title, same if I clck "suspend" and then I wake it up, if you guys have any idea what could be happening and how could I solve it I would appreciate if you could tell me, thank you in advance.

My laptop is the dell precision m6600 and I'm using windows 10, any info you would need to try to help me you can tell me and I'll try to provide it.

I've seen this a number of times over years now. I think it's something to do with the sleep state or S levels. Sometimes a firmware update will fix it, sometimes a Windows update. CMOS clear can help, or adjusting the S level in the BIOS, however the last suggestion can often mean a Windows reinstall is needed.

3 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

Is there a reason why you want your laptop to have higher clock speeds when you either close it or shut it off? Imo seems normal to me since I don't see much of a reason for a laptop to keep up its clock speeds if it's not actively being used/ save battery life when sleeping

I think they are talking about remaining slow post wake.

2 hours ago, DanWhite said:

dell precision m6600

Use ThrottleStop and disable BD PROCHOT on the main screen. 

These laptops have some known throttling issues. Post lots of ThrottleStop screenshots while throttling if you need help.

3 hours ago, Ryuikko said:

How would I even see what clock speed the laptop has when its closed or shut off? what kind of reasoning is that? come on

1 hour ago, unclewebb said:

Use ThrottleStop and disable BD PROCHOT on the main screen. 

These laptops have some known throttling issues. Post lots of ThrottleStop screenshots while throttling if you need help.

Its not therrmal throttling tho

3 hours ago, Cafuddled said:

I've seen this a number of times over years now. I think it's something to do with the sleep state or S levels. Sometimes a firmware update will fix it, sometimes a Windows update. CMOS clear can help, or adjusting the S level in the BIOS, however the last suggestion can often mean a Windows reinstall is needed.

I think they are talking about remaining slow post wake.

Yes I'm talking about remaining slow post wake. Also what do you recommend me to do? I would prefer not to do something risky or like windows reinstall

Its not therrmal throttling tho

BD PROCHOT has nothing to do with thermal throttling. This can lock a CPU to its minimum speed at any temperature. Post ThrottleStop screenshots if you want to solve this problem. 

17 hours ago, unclewebb said:

BD PROCHOT has nothing to do with thermal throttling. This can lock a CPU to its minimum speed at any temperature. Post ThrottleStop screenshots if you want to solve this problem. 

This is how it looks when I close and open the laptop or put it to sleep and wake it up. Btw I turned BD PROCHOT off and it didn't do anything so I just leaved it like thatimage.png.8b0e76aada9851911067e9d19a2273f2.png

28 minutes ago, DanWhite said:

how it looks

Check the Set Multiplier box and press the Turn On button. I would leave BD PROCHOT disabled while troubleshooting. 

Post pics of the TPL and TRL windows.

On 8/20/2022 at 5:31 PM, unclewebb said:

Check the Set Multiplier box and press the Turn On button. I would leave BD PROCHOT disabled while troubleshooting. 

Post pics of the TPL and TRL windows.

There, also if you would tell me what set multiplier does exactly i would turn it on

image.png

image.png

5 hours ago, DanWhite said:

what set multiplier does

It tells the CPU to run at the Intel rated speed. This setting should help with your CPU getting stuck at 798 MHz.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/53476/intel-core-i72860qm-processor-8m-cache-up-to-3-60-ghz.html

Your screenshot shows that Intel Turbo Boost is not being used at all. It is likely the Set Multiplier setting that is causing this. 

4 hours ago, unclewebb said:

It tells the CPU to run at the Intel rated speed. This setting should help with your CPU getting stuck at 798 MHz.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/53476/intel-core-i72860qm-processor-8m-cache-up-to-3-60-ghz.html

Your screenshot shows that Intel Turbo Boost is not being used at all. It is likely the Set Multiplier setting that is causing this. 

Yeah bc at the moment with turbo boost the temps sky rocket like crazy when the cpu starts having load and I dont have a way to fix it right now, so i keep it turned off so the temps stay chill, i had turbo boost turned off for a bunch of time and it didnt give this problem

4 hours ago, DanWhite said:

with turbo boost the temps sky rocket

Use ThrottleStop - Disable Turbo. You still need to check the Set Multiplier box to avoid 800 MHz when you resume. 

How did you disable turbo boost? If you made a change to the Windows power plan, this might be part of your problem. Press Restore plan defaults to reset your Windows power plan to default values. Use ThrottleStop to manage turbo boost. 

image.png.593d4515a01965b89805087669ea2e70.png

Intel rates their CPUs to be able to run reliably up to a peak core temperature of 100°C. Intel thermal management works fantastic. Most people worry too much about their CPU temperature when there is no reason to.. Use the Task Manager Details tab to eliminate useless background tasks and make sure the C states are enabled in the bios. The C states allow Intel CPUs to run cool when they are lightly loaded.

You should also clean out your laptop and replace the thermal paste when you get the chance. 

Use ThrottleStop 9.5

18 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Use ThrottleStop - Disable Turbo. You still need to check the Set Multiplier box to avoid 800 MHz when you resume. 

How did you disable turbo boost? If you made a change to the Windows power plan, this might be part of your problem. Press Restore plan defaults to reset your Windows power plan to default values. Use ThrottleStop to manage turbo boost. 

image.png.593d4515a01965b89805087669ea2e70.png

Intel rates their CPUs to be able to run reliably up to a peak core temperature of 100°C. Intel thermal management works fantastic. Most people worry too much about their CPU temperature when there is no reason to.. Use the Task Manager Details tab to eliminate useless background tasks and make sure the C states are enabled in the bios. The C states allow Intel CPUs to run cool when they are lightly loaded.

You should also clean out your laptop and replace the thermal paste when you get the chance. 

Use ThrottleStop 9.5

I disabled turbo boost using 2 methods, first setting maximum processor state to 99% and second and the one I'm using now, disabling it on the BIOS

@DanWhite

Did you solve your 800 MHz throttling problem yet? No need to use multiple methods to disable Turbo Boost. I would use ThrottleStop so you can easily toggle turbo boost on and off whenever you need to. 

How hot does your CPU get when turbo boost is enabled?

21 hours ago, unclewebb said:

@DanWhite

Did you solve your 800 MHz throttling problem yet? No need to use multiple methods to disable Turbo Boost. I would use ThrottleStop so you can easily toggle turbo boost on and off whenever you need to. 

How hot does your CPU get when turbo boost is enabled?

The temps keep rising forever so I just turn it off, it rises and rises, 70 degrees, 81, then it keeps going

On 8/24/2022 at 11:42 AM, unclewebb said:

Btw checking set multiplier has no effect

checking set multiplier has no effect

Post a screenshot. Did you press the Turn On button? Are you using the Windows High Performance power plan?

15 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Post a screenshot. Did you press the Turn On button? Are you using the Windows High Performance power plan?

Yeah, check means press turn on, also yes im using high performance and i dont know what posting a screenshot would do as i said it has no effect at all on anything

38 minutes ago, DanWhite said:

i dont know what posting a screenshot would do

It would allow me to see if you have ThrottleStop setup correctly.

Dell Precision laptops use a variety of throttling methods. It is impossible to recommend a solution without seeing an example of the problem you are having.