Best Bang for the buck?

Joeychgo

Budget (including currency):  $2k usd - ish

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Adobe Premiere

Other details I'm looking at doing a new build primarily for video editing with adobe premiere. (planning to start a youtube channel)   I'm open to suggestions.  It's been awhile since I've done a build but I'm not unfamiliar. 

One thing I'm wondering is if I should wait for new AMD CPU that is DDR5 compatible, or if I should go DDR5 now with something like the Intel Core i5 i5-12600K

Like most, I want to hit that sweet spot and build a rig that will do what I want at the best bang for my buck price.

Thoughts?

Let me get this straight... Your engine is 1.9 liters and my Pepsi is 2?

If you have $2K, which is definitely enough for the next ryzen, just wait. More cpu power and memory bandwidth definitely benefit premiere.

I think the 8 cores 7700x is the best bang for your buck.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Do you *need* a computer right now? Build a computer right now.

Other than that, used generally gives you the best bang for your buck if you know what you're doing, and I wouldn't blow 2k on a machine to try something out. Try making videos with what you have first, see if you actually want to and then build an editing rig if it's something you're passionate about.

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

It's impossible to say currently if next gen will be "better bang for the price", but usually it isn't at first because of the new stuff premium

It's more powerful sure, but more expensive to a larger extent

So if you need a rig get it, if you don't wait a bit and buy current gen hi tier stuff when next gen will appear, that's the best "bang for the buck" 🙂

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

8 hours ago, Joeychgo said:

or if I should go DDR5 now with something like the Intel Core i5 i5-12600K

don’t. Just go DDR4 with a 12th gen Intel CPU or DDR5 with an AM5 build in a couple months (prices will be high for AM5 at first, partially due to the most expensive chipsets- x670e, x670- often releasing first and then the b650 chipset a bit later)

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($342.98 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler  ($64.98 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI PRO B660-A DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: TEAMGROUP MP33 PRO 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($147.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti LHR 8 GB VENTUS 3X OC Video Card  ($479.49 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($94.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Phanteks AMP 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1425.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-19 22:12 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

3 hours ago, brob said:

Motherboard: MSI PRO B660-A DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 

I'm thinking DDR5 is a better way to go --

3 hours ago, brob said:

I'm curious, why not an AIO water cooler?   I've had a corsair setup for years and it's been nothing but great.

45 minutes ago, Joeychgo said:

I'm thinking DDR5 is a better way to go

ddr5 is useless garbage atm, dont bother till 7000+ kits start arriving and imcs + boards start not sucking ass and only doing slow 66/6800

Stick with ddr4 for now ram just dont matter much and its either buying 3200/3600 for stock or tuning for performance

45 minutes ago, Joeychgo said:

I'm curious, why not an AIO water cooler?   I've had a corsair setup for years and it's been nothing but great

Theyre just more expensive and they wont last a lifetime (air coolers are literally just metal so all you need to do is swap the fans every 10 years unless you have a passive cooler which is literally no maintenence)

8 hours ago, Joeychgo said:

DDR4 is better currently. Lower latency by far for good speeds. DDR5 is very gimmicky rn.

10 hours ago, Joeychgo said:

It is a more expensive option for not much more performance.

Interestingly, B660 and H670 DDR5 motherboards are more expensive than several good z690 models. Which leads to going with an unlocked CPU.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($377.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z690-P ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($209.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory  ($189.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: TEAMGROUP MP33 PRO 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($147.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti LHR 8 GB VENTUS 3X OC Video Card  ($479.49 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($94.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Phanteks AMP 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($105.81 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1671.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-20 12:00 EDT-0400

SO what I'm getting is that Intel is more appropriate then AMD for my usage?

1 hour ago, Joeychgo said:

Interesting, seems the the 12900k + DDR5 is the best way to go

It likely is except if one is going to need more than 2x32GB of memory. At the moment running 4 sticks of DDR5 is problematic on most motherboards.

Just now, brob said:

It likely is except if one is going to need more than 2x32GB of memory. At the moment running 4 sticks of DDR5 is problematic on most motherboards.

It is?

20 hours ago, brob said:

2x32 is okay though right?   I was planning on 2.32 to start so I can expand from 64 to 128 when/if needed

2 minutes ago, Joeychgo said:

2x32 is okay though right?

That would be fine, I'd just go with ddr4 personally since ddr5 is a pita with alderlake

Just now, Ryuikko said:

That would be fine, I'd just go with ddr4 personally since ddr5 is a pita with alderlake

Thing is - I dont want to be replacing the system in a year or two --- 

Right now I'm thinking the 12900k processor with 2x32 ddr5

Looking at MB's

15 minutes ago, Joeychgo said:

Unless you want to be on the bleeding edge in tech all the time, there won't  be much of a reason to replace the ram within 1 to 2 years, unless I'm missing something here

36 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

Unless you want to be on the bleeding edge in tech all the time, there won't  be much of a reason to replace the ram within 1 to 2 years, unless I'm missing something here

My CPU, MB and Ram are all about 10 years old right now.    I'm rocking a i7-2600k.  I prefer going heavier than I need so things last.  I dont need the latest and greatest all the time.  

2 hours ago, Joeychgo said:

don’t go DDR5, it’s ass right now- DDR4 will last just as long in this build, you just might need DDR5 next time you have to build. 

3 hours ago, Joeychgo said:

Looking at MB's

With 12th gen Intel there is such minimal difference in RAM speed over 3200mhz anyway. DDR5 offers no tangible upgrade, especially since support for it on motherboards is currently not there. So if you want sustained reliability, DDR4 has been exactly that, and may remain that way through another generation of CPUs even.

45 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

With 12th gen Intel there is such minimal difference in RAM speed over 3200mhz anyway. DDR5 offers no tangible upgrade, especially since support for it on motherboards is currently not there. So if you want sustained reliability, DDR4 has been exactly that, and may remain that way through another generation of CPUs even.

Use case matters. https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/12th-Gen-Intel-Core-CPU-Review-Roundup-2248/#AdobePremierePro