Motherboard issue? 2nd monitor screen flicker and wireless mouse lagging. unrelated?

alistairmowbray

hi guys 

First of all, my build is

Ryzen 5600x 

B550M PRO-VDH WIFI - MSI (refurbished, potential cause) 

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB (handed down)

a cheap power supply 550W (potential cause) 

One problem I have is the 2nd monitor screen which is a 4k tv connected via HDMI tends to flicker under load. I have learnt to live with it because it doesn't really affect function but it shouldn't happen in the first place. 

for example, definitely more prone to happen when I am fullscreening a youtube video or media player, the 2nd screen will flicker then I can hear the fan in the case kick in a little, like it's trying to ramp up. Also, never happens with the 1st screen. Both output from the graphics card. I have had this issue for a while but I can't exactly pin point where it's coming from.  

1) It could be the graphics card which was gifted to me from a friend. outdated and I do not know if this problem existed before it was put in my pc. 

2) It could be the power supply because I can hear the fan ramp up after it flickers. maybe it's not rated what it's supposed to be. but I am really not drawing that much power from 1060 and 5600x. 

3) it could be the motherboard. I did buy it refurbished because it was the cheapest b550 i could get. but I figured the circuit just needs to make a connection but can motherboard malfunction under load? 

ruled out cable issue, driver issue. I will be purchasing a new graphics card in the next couple of months so hopefully this fixes the issue. 

Also, having trouble with wireless mouse lagging pretty badly. It works fine most of the time but then it will just lag and skip for a few seconds, to an extent I have now switched to wired only. 

This might be unrelated to the screen flicker issue but if these two were, then I am guessing it could be the motherboard? 

I have ruled out bad battery, bad receiver, bad mouse because I have tried other wireless mouse with different receivers. It can't be the usb port because wired mouse works perfectly. 

Could it be just RFI interference between the receiver and the mouse? I have checked the drivers and they are up to date. 

Also, maybe another small detail to mention is that, 

when I connect a gaming controller through bluetooth, it does not away maintain a stable connection. 

so it could be that the RFI issue with the wireless connection.

Anyways, just ranting at this point. I do like to troubleshoot and repair on my own. 

but I can not just start replacing parts until I know where it's coming from. 

So if any of you guys experienced something similar or have a suggestion on what I could do,

it would be very much appreciated.