Computer is currently half assembled, in dire need of advice

Jack0f5pades

I don't know where would be the correct subforum to put this under. I assumed it would be this one instead of troubleshooting but if it's in the wrong place I apologize.

Allow me to explain the situation: I purchased a new case for my main system today. I got halfway through assembling it to realize that I wrongly assumed this case would have 140mm spaced holes on the rear exhaust fan position. So now I don't have a rear exhaust fan because my 140 won't fit. Then there's the fact that each of my other fans have a collective 6 feet per fan of cabling attached to it, which takes up so much room that there is physically not enough space to get the rear panel on. So currently, the build is functional, but doesn't have either side panel on, is missing a rear exhaust, and all of the fan cables are just spewing out of the side. 

I have no clue what to do in this situation, but it seems like my only option is to buy new fans, which I don't have the money for at the moment, but likely will in about four weeks. So I suppose I could leave my computer in this state for a month while I save up for new fans, but as I said, this is my main system and I don't know if I can just leave it like this for a month. Any suggestions as to what I should do would be greatly appreciated.

2 minutes ago, ET_Explorer said:

Make and Model # of case?

The new case is a Corsair 5000D Airflow

5 minutes ago, Jack0f5pades said:

The new case is a Corsair 5000D Airflow

That’s a pretty decent case…. And it very clearly shows the rear is only a 120. 

But, it comes with 120’s, and you have a 140? So just take one of the included front 120’s off, put a 140 in its place, and put the 120 in the rear. Or don’t run a deer fan at all and only top exhaust. 

The wires are not that long, you can very easily get them to look good behind the mobo tray and close the side. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

3 minutes ago, ET_Explorer said:

You could try this adapter that converts 140 mm to 120 mm or 120 mm to 140 mm case fan.

https://www.amazon.com/Bgears-Cooling-Fan-Adapter-140mm-Black/dp/B0043GMY1U

It may not physically fit, and it really isn’t worth doing that. OP can make it work fine as is. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

2 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

That’s a pretty decent case…. And it very clearly shows the rear is only a 120. 

But, it comes with 120’s, and you have a 140? So just take one of the included front 120’s off, put a 140 in its place, and put the 120 in the rear. Or don’t run a deer fan at all and only top exhaust. 

The wires are not that long, you can very easily get them to look good behind the mobo tray and close the side. 

Apologies, I forgot to mention, the case itself is actually used. I said I bought a new case, but what I meant is that It's MY new case, but the case itself is actually not new. Thus, all of the fans, screws, and cable ties were missing. The fans I have come with two thick cables on each fan, and both cables are 3 feet long each. Thermaltake Pure ARGB fans

3 minutes ago, Jack0f5pades said:

Apologies, I forgot to mention, the case itself is actually used. I said I bought a new case, but what I meant is that It's MY new case, but the case itself is actually not new. Thus, all of the fans, screws, and cable ties were missing. The fans I have come with two thick cables on each fan, and both cables are 3 feet long each. Thermaltake Pure ARGB fans

Are they really 3 feet long... thats, uh, excessive.

But, you can get them in there im sure. 

Corsairs come with a few 120s, but more robust builds would need more, perhaps. My 4000X can fit 140s up top, if that would help in swapping around. OP has to be doing something wrong... My 4000X has six 120s and a Scythe Mugen 5 stuffed into it, and my panels fit just fine.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Just now, LIGISTX said:

Are they really 3 feet long... thats, uh, excessive.

But, you can get them in there im sure. 

Yup. Don't know why they made them so long (see attached image). I guess I can try and fit them, but that still leaves me without an exhaust. At least if I can get them hooked up, I'll have a usable system until I can save up the money for the new fans. I also just realized this case won't actually fit on my desk, it hangs off the edges by like two inches. I really like this case but I'm a complete idiot and really should have done more research before I got it haha. I'll do my best to make it work, though.  PXL_20220814_042709023.MP.jpg

There should be enough space under the PSU shroud to hide fan cables. Run the cables down into that area, and then back up. Use twist ties to bundle excess cable.

The system should be fine without a rear exhaust fan. Just mount the fan as exhaust in the top or intake in the front.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Does the fan fit but there are just no holes?  If so just take everything out and drill some.  Use a mechanical pencil to mark your spots and chose a bit wide enough for your screws.  Start with a smaller bit and work in a wider one if need be.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.