GPU clock speed crashing (pictures included)

JuicyMullet

Hey everyone. 

In the past few months, I purchased a case called The Beast from MonsterLabo. It's a case to where you don't use any fans (so that's why the pic attached has 0 for fan speed). I underclocked my 1080 TI after I installed it, but in the past few months after I game for a while, it starts to get horrible stutter. After trying to mess around with MSI Afterburner, the lowest undervolt I can do without a crash is 1923 MHz @ 921 mV, but now it's stuttering even at that. I'm guessing it has to do with the GPU temps, which hover around 78 degrees. 

Does anyone know what's going on or if there's a guaranteed way to lower the temps? 

Thanks for any help.

GPU stutter.png

36 minutes ago, JuicyMullet said:

Does anyone know.... if there's a guaranteed way to lower the temps?

Yes, it's called a fan 😉

Just now, Blue4130 said:

Yes, it's called a fan 😉

Well, I actually can install fans in the case, but I was more so hoping for a recommendation for how to guarantee reduced temps by undervolting. 

Well without a fan on the GPU the ony real way is to lower the power limit using afterburner, but this will limit performance. 78c while on the slightly hotter side isn't anything to really worry about. The stutter/instability is probably a result of undervolting the card. Try a lower clock speed maybe? Does the stuuter go away at stock settings?

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x3D |  GPU - RTX 3080 TUF OC | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570 | RAM - Patriot Viper Blackout 32GB 3200MHz | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Corsair MP600 PCIe 4.0  Storage - 2 x 1TB SSD's & 1 500GB SSD | PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold 1000w | Display - ASUS TUF VG27WQ Curved 1440P 165Hz | Cooling - ASUS TUF LC240 AIO + 5 aRGB Fans

53 minutes ago, Gazereths said:

Well without a fan on the GPU the ony real way is to lower the power limit using afterburner, but this will limit performance. 78c while on the slightly hotter side isn't anything to really worry about. The stutter/instability is probably a result of undervolting the card. Try a lower clock speed maybe? Does the stuuter go away at stock settings?

No. I hit the 78 degree mark and the stutter starts. I was thinking the same that the temp, while kind of up there, wasn't that high. At least not high enough to cause stutter. 

I really wonder if my GPU isn't on its last legs.

3 hours ago, JuicyMullet said:

Well it's possible, but I've got much older GPU's that are still kicking!

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x3D |  GPU - RTX 3080 TUF OC | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570 | RAM - Patriot Viper Blackout 32GB 3200MHz | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Corsair MP600 PCIe 4.0  Storage - 2 x 1TB SSD's & 1 500GB SSD | PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold 1000w | Display - ASUS TUF VG27WQ Curved 1440P 165Hz | Cooling - ASUS TUF LC240 AIO + 5 aRGB Fans

3 hours ago, JuicyMullet said:

No. I hit the 78 degree mark and the stutter starts. I was thinking the same that the temp, while kind of up there, wasn't that high. At least not high enough to cause stutter. 

1923 MHz is a pretty big OC, what happens when you run it at a more reasonable clock like 1800Mhz?

21 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

1923 MHz is a pretty big OC, what happens when you run it at a more reasonable clock like 1800Mhz?

So I'll be completely honest, I really know nothing about Mhz. It's a factory overclocked GPU, so that's just what it's always run at. I was overclocking along in Afterburner today, and then was monitoring everything in NZXT Cam and found their Overclocking section. I just adjusted my temp limit there and bam, problem solved. 

So now I'm running two pieces of software to handle my GPU's thermals. I really wish I could take a lesson or watch a super in depth video about understanding overclocking and undervolting instead of just how to do it, but I don't even know where to start. 

@JuicyMulletglad you got it sorted. FYI you can increase or decrease the temp limit in afterburner, it's linked to power limit by default but you can unlink them to adjust individually. No need for CAM as well, but whatever works for you is fine. 

18 minutes ago, Gazereths said:

@JuicyMulletglad you got it sorted. FYI you can increase or decrease the temp limit in afterburner, it's linked to power limit by default but you can unlink them to adjust individually. No need for CAM as well, but whatever works for you is fine. 

Thanks! That's good to know. I do like the clean GUI of CAM, but I've heard Afterburner is a better tool all around. 

I did have to decrease the Mhz to around 1800, but my games still appear to be running smoothly.

Hopefully I'll have some more knowledge soon as I'm planning on going from my 1080 TI to a 4070 or 4080, and I know I'm going to have to undervolt either one of those. 

@JuicyMulletIt's an interesting case you have, will you have to buy a new heat spreader/plate for a new GPU or will the current one work? 

19 hours ago, Gazereths said:

@JuicyMulletIt's an interesting case you have, will you have to buy a new heat spreader/plate for a new GPU or will the current one work? 

It definitely is interesting, but for what it does, it's fantastic. LTT did a video on it and when they added a fan, they got it to cool 320 W from a 3090, so I'm hoping the 4070 or 4080 will be able to be cooled if I add two fans. 

And that's a GREAT question. I know I'll have to get a new spreader, but I have no idea which one. They don't exactly have an order process on their website for when you get a new graphics card for a new spreader, and most of the spreaders are custom made by EK Waterblocks for the cards. 

I'm honestly not even sure who to ask, but I figured when the official 4000 series announcement was made, I would just reach out to both of them and see what they said. 

@JuicyMulletI've not seen the video might check it out.  Hopefully the biggest issue will be getting the new spreader,  and not getting hold of an actual card lol (took me 2 years to finally get the 3080 I wanted for MSRP)

I'm sure EK and the case manufacturer will have something available, maybe just for the reference PCB's though.  A quick look at the website shows support for the 30 series stuff.  

43 minutes ago, Gazereths said:

@JuicyMulletI've not seen the video might check it out.  Hopefully the biggest issue will be getting the new spreader,  and not getting hold of an actual card lol (took me 2 years to finally get the 3080 I wanted for MSRP)

I'm sure EK and the case manufacturer will have something available, maybe just for the reference PCB's though.  A quick look at the website shows support for the 30 series stuff.  

I hope your right. I followed the past two years very closely. Sorry you had to wait that long. 

If it's a reference, that's fine. You need to strip the case off anyways, and I'm most likely going to have to tone it down a bit (although hopefully not too much) in Afterburner. 

I don't come to this forum often, only when I KNOW I need a solution because I can't figure it out after multiple days of troubleshooting. You've been one of the nicest people I've encountered on any forum. Thank you for that. 

Oh, and here's the video: 

45 minutes ago, JuicyMullet said:

I don't come to this forum often, only when I KNOW I need a solution because I can't figure it out after multiple days of troubleshooting. You've been one of the nicest people I've encountered on any forum. Thank you for that. 

Oh, and here's the video

Thanks,  for the compliment and the video link. Good luck with the future upgrades 👍👍