how do i move windows os from hdd to ssd?

storm05

i want to know how i only move my os from my hdd to the ssd that i have orderd. i have looked at youtube but they all show me how to move all the stuf on hdd to ssd not only the os

I'd do a fresh install off a USB Stick.  You'll have a better install if you do. 

Fresh install is recommended. Make a backup or put stuff outside the windows folder so you can find them easily from the other Windows install.

Look for Windows media creation tool,  download it from microsoft site, it creates a USB drive that you can use to install windows in other PCs

When asked chose the same version of windows you have, and copy the key if you have it somewhere.

Then basically let windows install and get all your programs again.

10 minutes ago, Jorgemeister said:

Fresh install is recommended. Make a backup or put stuff outside the windows folder so you can find them easily from the other Windows install.

Look for Windows media creation tool,  download it from microsoft site, it creates a USB drive that you can use to install windows in other PCs

When asked chose the same version of windows you have, and copy the key if you have it somewhere.

Then basically let windows install and get all your programs again.

do i need to remove my hdd after instaling it?

3 minutes ago, storm05 said:

No, you can format it and use it as mass storage.  Just make sure you have the ssd set as the boot drive in the bios.

Desktop: Intel i7-13700K / Asus ROG Strix  z690-e / Nvidia 4080 FE / 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator / 2TB  WD SN850x  / 48" Lg C2 & 27" Asus ProArt

Plex Server: Dell OptiPlex 7010 /  i7-13700 /  32GB DDR5 / 1TB Samsung  990 Pro / Ubuntu

Laptop: M2 Macbook Air / 8G ram / 8core CPU / 10core GPU / 512GB SSD

NAS: Synology 1821+ , 2x Synology RS819 = 200TB 

3 minutes ago, storm05 said:

You don't need to as long as your BIOS know what the media boot order is.

Spoiler

CPU Ryzen 5900X - Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X570-E - RAM 16GB of G.SKILL NEON 3600 -
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 - Case Mastercase H500p mesh - PSU Seasonic Focus Gx-850 -
Corsair MP600 NVME 1 Tb, Samsung 960 PRO 500 Gb & 2 Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 2TB in stripe -
Display two VG27AQ 2K monitor - Cooling Corsair H150 Pro - 

Keyboard G-910 W/ Romer G tactile - Mouse G 502 Hero (wired) -
Sound Logitech X-530 and Razer Tiamat headphones

Operating System Windows 10

You can clone it with Minitool Drivecopy and keep all your programs and settings.