How To Fix Black Screen While Upgrading Your Linux Distro...? 🤔

Well, I only had ONE person reply to this post I made & that's it! I clearly had stated in other posts on that community that I'm a Linux-newb & don't daily drive it! Oh well, let's just hope someone here can be of more help... 🙄

For anyone who wants the full story/details, be sure to check out the post which I made just this morning: https://forum.zorin.com/t/stuck-on-black-screen-during-upgrade-from-ubuntu-20-04-to-22-04-how-do-i-fix-this/20132/3 If anyone needs any extras or if you have any other questions you wish to ask me about this, be sure to do so & I'll answer back!

Here's hoping someone can help me out with this. 🤞 🙏 Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

26 minutes ago, Kjennings92 said:

Well, I only had ONE person reply to this post I made & that's it! I clearly had stated in other posts on that community that I'm a Linux-newb & don't daily drive it! Oh well, let's just hope someone here can be of more help... 🙄

It appears you only asked an hour ago and of so what do you expect?

My answer would be to install Linux Mint Cinnamon 21 and not have problems. It is based on Ubuntu but it is stable and works. There is also a good discussion forum for it.

Here we've been running earlier versions for a decade or more, my partner since 2018. We are both using 20.3 at present. An organisation I belong to has only Linux Mint and for near a decade.

10 minutes ago, RollyShed said:

It appears you only asked an hour ago and of so what do you expect?

My answer would be to install Linux Mint Cinnamon 21 and not have problems. It is based on Ubuntu but it is stable and works. There is also a good discussion forum for it.

Here we've been running earlier versions for a decade or more, my partner since 2018. We are both using 20.3 at present. An organisation I belong to has only Linux Mint and for near a decade.

I appreciate the suggestion/advice you provided, but I'd prefer to get this fixed & have her pc back up & running so she can use it. If you don't REALLY know how to fix this sort of issue or if you haven't had any experience with Zorin OS whatsoever, you could have just straight up told me so! 🤷‍♂️ Still, I'm not trying judge you or make you feel bad. 🙂 Any helpful replies are what really matters here! 

3 minutes ago, Kjennings92 said:

I'd prefer to get this fixed & have her pc back up & running so she can use it.

As you are likely to have to reinstall Zorin, as you haven't had any answers and if you do they might take some time, the suggestion is a way of getting round the problem and not have it again.

Simply quicker all round.

2 minutes ago, RollyShed said:

As you are likely to have to reinstall Zorin, as you haven't had any answers and if you do they might take some time, the suggestion is a way of getting round the problem and not have it again.

Simply quicker all round.

OK, that's fair enough. I see your point. Thank you for being a good human & helping me out! 🙂 I might just go with a different distro this time & see how that goes...

Zorin looks very similar to Mint but there appear to have been some GNOME issues and I think this is why Mint went away from it. This might or might not be the problem.

Good luck and I hope you can sort it out.

The nVidea Unix driver needs to be reinstalled with each distro install.

Yours is a GTX1650 graphics card.

You need to put the correct driver on a USB stick and save it.

The correct driver listed atr nVidea site is 515.65.01

Once a person gets it down installing the driver is easy.  PCLOS dfoes it automatically

48 minutes ago, TorC said:

The nVidea Unix driver needs to be reinstalled with each distro install.

Yours is a GTX1650 graphics card.

You need to put the correct driver on a USB stick and save it.

The correct driver listed atr nVidea site is 515.65.01

Once a person gets it down installing the driver is easy.  PCLOS dfoes it automatically

I actually meant to say in the Zorin OS forum post that she doesn't have a graphics card in her system at all; she's only relying on the integrated graphics built into her Intel CPU.

If I remember correctly, nVidea graphics IS integrated in the mobo, or so I meant to say! 

That is the source of the black screen, NOT the distro!

So, my post still stands as the most valid response.  (Modest, aren't I?  LOL)

Try PCLinuxOS, as a recommendation (NOT BigDaddy).  Come back, if you do because the fanbois here most likely do not know the distro.  It will recognize the graphics and install driver automatically  --  unlike Mint or any 'buntu!

I think I had this!
After upgrade Debian Buster->Bullseye, the screen went black. I pulled my backup, did it again, black again.
Now what I did to fix this, is let it boot into the black screen and go for ctrl+alt+f2 which should open a usable console.
From there you can try and fix the problem. If it's what I think, a simple "startx" should suffice to boot into the DE again.
For me, it was an issue with lightdm if I remember correctly, but I don't remember the exact fix.
Hope that helps!