my cpu won't stop running at 100% (task manager,i5-2400)

@bababoue21

Does the Task Manager Details tab also report 100%? Utilization data that the Task Manager reports is not the same as CPU usage. It can be a little buggy in older CPUs.

If the Task Manager Details tab shows less than 100% CPU usage then it might be a Windows problem with your CPU not entering the C states correctly. 

8 hours ago, bababoue21 said:

How much should I put it to?

5% to 10% is good.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

13 hours ago, unclewebb said:

@bababoue21

Does the Task Manager Details tab also report 100%? Utilization data that the Task Manager reports is not the same as CPU usage. It can be a little buggy in older CPUs.

If the Task Manager Details tab shows less than 100% CPU usage then it might be a Windows problem with your CPU not entering the C states correctly. 

In the details tab it shows that System Idle Process is taking up 98% while other apps are at 0-1%

I've also had an issue with downloading a Windows Update and I've been stuck on an old Windows 10 release 

Any thoughts on why that's happening and is it related to my CPU?

3 hours ago, bababoue21 said:

System Idle Process is taking up 98%

The first two tabs of the Task Manager do not show CPU usage. CPU Utilization is not the same as CPU Usage. Those graphs that show CPU Utilization fool a lot of people. Your CPU is as idle as it should be. Nothing excessive is running on your computer. Only use the Details tab of the Task Manager.

The problem you are having is usually caused by the C states being disabled. Make sure you are running the latest BIOS version. Check the BIOS for any C state related options and make sure they are enabled. 

One setting that is hidden in your Windows power plan can disable the C states and cause this problem you are having. Try running ThrottleStop, open the C states window when your computer is idle and see if any of the C states are being used. My computer shows the cores spending 99% of their time in the low power C7 state. This is normal. Your computer will likely show 0.0% for all of the C states.

image.png.f3214db76fc43951fa7f14be5bd9669d.png

If all of your C states are at 0.0%, click on the > > button to open up the full C states window,

At the bottom check C States - AC and select the Off radio button and then press Apply.

Do this again but this time check C States - AC and select the On radio button and press Apply.

image.png.79b71940244ed02f0cf9733c148dd2d1.png

This makes a change to your Windows power plan. It corrects two of the most common problems people have when the C states are not working correctly. Do you see any C state activity in the C state monitoring panel on the left side? If you do, the Task Manager Processes and Performance tabs will not be quite so screwed up. They are still not accurate and do not represent CPU Usage like everyone assumes so those first two tabs should be avoided. 

If you are still having problems, open Power Options and press the Restore plan defaults button. The C states are a Windows issue. Hopefully one of these tricks fixes things for you. 

image.png.859f5f0fe07e06bb581f45a5b78f49e5.png

19 hours ago, unclewebb said:

The first two tabs of the Task Manager do not show CPU usage. CPU Utilization is not the same as CPU Usage. Those graphs that show CPU Utilization fool a lot of people. Your CPU is as idle as it should be. Nothing excessive is running on your computer. Only use the Details tab of the Task Manager.

The problem you are having is usually caused by the C states being disabled. Make sure you are running the latest BIOS version. Check the BIOS for any C state related options and make sure they are enabled. 

One setting that is hidden in your Windows power plan can disable the C states and cause this problem you are having. Try running ThrottleStop, open the C states window when your computer is idle and see if any of the C states are being used. My computer shows the cores spending 99% of their time in the low power C7 state. This is normal. Your computer will likely show 0.0% for all of the C states.

image.png.f3214db76fc43951fa7f14be5bd9669d.png

If all of your C states are at 0.0%, click on the > > button to open up the full C states window,

At the bottom check C States - AC and select the Off radio button and then press Apply.

Do this again but this time check C States - AC and select the On radio button and press Apply.

image.png.79b71940244ed02f0cf9733c148dd2d1.png

This makes a change to your Windows power plan. It corrects two of the most common problems people have when the C states are not working correctly. Do you see any C state activity in the C state monitoring panel on the left side? If you do, the Task Manager Processes and Performance tabs will not be quite so screwed up. They are still not accurate and do not represent CPU Usage like everyone assumes so those first two tabs should be avoided. 

If you are still having problems, open Power Options and press the Restore plan defaults button. The C states are a Windows issue. Hopefully one of these tricks fixes things for you. 

image.png.859f5f0fe07e06bb581f45a5b78f49e5.png

This is what I see I don't know if I should touch anything since it's not on 0% as you said.

Any help?

14 minutes ago, bababoue21 said:

This is what I see I don't know if I should touch anything since it's not on 0% as you said.

Any help?

image.thumb.png.8dac33de902631bf5d0b378e476eff79.png

@bababoue21

Your C states are working correctly so there is no need to touch anything. 

Is the Task Manager still showing 100% on the Processes and Performance tabs when your computer is idle? Your problem seems to be a Task Manager bug. This is not unusual on 11 year old CPUs. Developers have no time and no access to old hardware like this so a few bugs are inevitable.  

As long as the Task Manager Details tab shows a low CPU usage number when idle and ThrottleStop shows a low C0% when idle then your computer is running fine.

It would be nice if the low power C7 C states were being used and it would be nice if the low power package C states were enabled but lots of manufacturers disabled these power saving technologies. Saving a couple of watts is not that important on a desktop CPU. 

30 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

@bababoue21

Your C states are working correctly so there is no need to touch anything. 

Is the Task Manager still showing 100% on the Processes and Performance tabs when your computer is idle? Your problem seems to be a Task Manager bug. This is not unusual on 11 year old CPUs. Developers have no time and no access to old hardware like this so a few bugs are inevitable.  

As long as the Task Manager Details tab shows a low CPU usage number when idle and ThrottleStop shows a low C0% when idle then your computer is running fine.

It would be nice if the low power C7 C states were being used and it would be nice if the low power package C states were enabled but lots of manufacturers disabled these power saving technologies. Saving a couple of watts is not that important on a desktop CPU. 

You have any idea why I can't download a Windows update, that's also been a problem for a long time

@bababoue21

I always prefer to wipe the hard drive, download a Windows ISO and do a clean install. I always have excellent results doing this.

When you have an 11 year old computer, anything can go wrong. Microsoft does not bother properly testing everything that could possibly go wrong when trying to update an 11 year old computer.