Discord using a bit too much data?

Go to solution Solved by tikker,

Doesn't sound impossible to me. I don't know what bitrate discord streams at, but if the stream was 5 Mbps then that would amount to 5 Mbps * 5 h * 3600 s/h = 90 Gb or about ~11 GB. Also note that b vs B matters here: 1 byte (B) is 8 bits (b).

Hey y'all,

So I have a shit laptop that doesn't run games older than 2015, So instead my friend that has a good pc streams the games on discord and i just watch him play instead, but for 5 hours of 480p 30fps stream with audio discord used about 13gbs of internet, is that normal? I have a 200gb monthly plan so that was a big L. Is there some secret setting I'm supposed to turn on or something?

Doesn't sound impossible to me. I don't know what bitrate discord streams at, but if the stream was 5 Mbps then that would amount to 5 Mbps * 5 h * 3600 s/h = 90 Gb or about ~11 GB. Also note that b vs B matters here: 1 byte (B) is 8 bits (b).

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

5 minutes ago, tikker said:

Oh fair, I just seemed a bit odd considering it was a low quality stream and i usually watch YouTube and twitch streams and they don't use as much so i was curious, thanks 

19 hours ago, Georgeskal said:

Oh fair, I just seemed a bit odd considering it was a low quality stream and i usually watch YouTube and twitch streams and they don't use as much so i was curious, thanks 

It unlikely to be 5Mbps for just 480p stream. More likely its 1500-2000kbps. But is that only Discord data usage or your whole connection? If its whole connection, consider that there are also other software on your laptop using download. And even more if you have more devices using it.

It would be odd from Discord to use as much bitrate for SD quality stream as what Twitch uses for HD streams.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 8/7/2022 at 2:21 PM, LogicalDrm said:

It unlikely to be 5Mbps for just 480p stream. More likely its 1500-2000kbps. But is that only Discord data usage or your whole connection? If its whole connection, consider that there are also other software on your laptop using download. And even more if you have more devices using it.

It would be odd from Discord to use as much bitrate for SD quality stream as what Twitch uses for HD streams.

I have a data usage tracker and it was only from discord and nothing else... I'm just kinda dealing with it and only watching 2hrs of stream per day idk what else to do