Only boots windows 10 instead of Linux despite boot order

So I have an external ssd and wanted to switch to linux I used belena etcher like ltt suggested and figured its like a huge usb what could go wrong before I used the ssd for some stupid reason I used an old hard drive I salvaged from a windows vista computer with 1tb and now I can't ust it at all and it doesnt even show up in the boot order, the ssd does I set it as first save and exit with all the other stuff ltt said to do and it boots windows I restart my computer set it as first again and repeat 4 more times this time I do all the same stuff but before it boots I go into bios again and now its not there in the boot order at all It's a samsung ssd if that makes any diffrence and it's very frustrating being stuck with only 500gb on my computer since I have a bad habit of just accumulating tons of stuff within a week my 1b hdd had 600 gb left thats beyond the point sorry for the mini rant but please help me I do not like windows

34 minutes ago, Your Local Festive Furry said:

So I have an external ssd and wanted to switch to linux I used belena etcher like ltt suggested and figured its like a huge usb what could go wrong before I used the ssd for some stupid reason I used an old hard drive I salvaged from a windows vista computer with 1tb and now I can't ust it at all and it doesnt even show up in the boot order, the ssd does I set it as first save and exit with all the other stuff ltt said to do and it boots windows I restart my computer set it as first again and repeat 4 more times this time I do all the same stuff but before it boots I go into bios again and now its not there in the boot order at all It's a samsung ssd if that makes any diffrence and it's very frustrating being stuck with only 500gb on my computer since I have a bad habit of just accumulating tons of stuff within a week my 1b hdd had 600 gb left thats beyond the point sorry for the mini rant but please help me I do not like windows

There’s possibly something up with your Linux disk or your UEFI.  

Factoid:

One of the complications of Linux is that windows will use only ntfs, fat, or exfat.  It doesn’t even recognize other partition methods as being partitions.  Linux can already do fat and exfat but they’re not very good and have problems.  NTFS is okay, but Microsoft patented it.  You can get a thing that will allow Linux to use ntfs (but it is never freeware afaik) but it won’t natively do it.  It will do a lot of other partition schemes that are arguably better in a given situation than ntfs though such as zfs, so ntfs is rarely used with Linux.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

58 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There’s possibly something up with your Linux disk or your UEFI.  

Factoid:

One of the complications of Linux is that windows will use only ntfs, fat, or exfat.  It doesn’t even recognize other partition methods as being partitions.  Linux can already do fat and exfat but they’re not very good and have problems.  NTFS is okay, but Microsoft patented it.  You can get a thing that will allow Linux to use ntfs (but it is never freeware afaik) but it won’t natively do it.  It will do a lot of other partition schemes that are arguably better in a given situation than ntfs though such as zfs, so ntfs is rarely used with Linux.  

Could you just explain it to me like I'm stupid cus I am stupid

Let’s go with some software then.  that stuff is designed for “I don’t care how it works I just want to get my stuff done”

I suggest looking at a few links, here’s one:

https://www.howtogeek.com/175641/how-to-boot-and-install-linux-on-a-uefi-pc-with-secure-boot/

if it would help to know what is going on try:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/602697/whats-a-boot-loader-for-uefi

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 8/5/2022 at 1:21 PM, Your Local Festive Furry said:

Quick update I got a usb with pop I've cleaned all my drives and removed my internal SSD losing the screw in the process so it's safe to say windows is gone forever now, I keep getting to the try or install pop screen and after that it flashes various texts a few green OKs then tells me the input is not supported 

• 1 month later...