Wifi Band Issues.

Lordofcheez
Go to solution Solved by Falcon1986,
2 hours ago, Lordofcheez said:

I have a cox home router. I believe it is the CommScope TG4482. I have a internal wifi adapter which is the PCE-AC56 2x2 802.11ac Wifi AC1300 PCIe Adapter. When I connect to the 5ghz wifi it only connects at 2.4ghz. It will connect at 5ghz if I spam turn my wifi card on and off. I was wondering if there was a better way to force the connection at 5ghz. If something doesnt makes sense feel free to ask for clarification. Thank you if you can shed some light on this infuriating problem!

If the 5GHz signal is weak and the 2.4GHz signal is stronger, your WiFi adapter will tend to prefer the stronger signal to ensure a reliable connection.

5GHz has a shorter range than 2.4GHz. It's also significantly more subject to attenuation from physical objects than 2.4GHz.

You can force a particular band on the NIC itself by going to its properties...

spacer.png

But again, you might get less performance because of the previously-mentioned reasons.

I have a cox home router. I believe it is the CommScope TG4482. I have a internal wifi adapter which is the PCE-AC56 2x2 802.11ac Wifi AC1300 PCIe Adapter. When I connect to the 5ghz wifi it only connects at 2.4ghz. It will connect at 5ghz if I spam turn my wifi card on and off. I was wondering if there was a better way to force the connection at 5ghz. If something doesnt makes sense feel free to ask for clarification. Thank you if you can shed some light on this infuriating problem!

Both 2.4G and 5G are using the same SSID (name of the wireless network) right?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

37 minutes ago, Levent said:

Both 2.4G and 5G are using the same SSID (name of the wireless network) right?

Yes and I couldn't change it in the routers settings panel cuz I guess cox doesn't allow that. It shows up and the SSID but 2 

how far is the pc from the router? It's possible that windows has just decided that the 2.4 is a better, faster connection

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

18 minutes ago, Lordofcheez said:

Yes and I couldn't change it in the routers settings panel cuz I guess cox doesn't allow that. It shows up and the SSID but 2 

Yeah sounds like issue is with band steering. It never works great so I just run 2.4g and 5g under different SSIDs.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 hours ago, Lordofcheez said:

If the 5GHz signal is weak and the 2.4GHz signal is stronger, your WiFi adapter will tend to prefer the stronger signal to ensure a reliable connection.

5GHz has a shorter range than 2.4GHz. It's also significantly more subject to attenuation from physical objects than 2.4GHz.

You can force a particular band on the NIC itself by going to its properties...

spacer.png

But again, you might get less performance because of the previously-mentioned reasons.

9 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

spacer.png

Yah that's probably the issue. For what ever reason though my wifi card doesnt have this option I'm wondering if I need to up date something on it but finding drivers online for this exact card proved tricky.