Transplant Parts From A Small Pre-Built To Case With Top Mounted PSU And Plentiful HDD Mounting?

nick name

Hello all. I'd like to move my Plex server into a different case that will allow for more HDDs to be installed into.  My current little Lenovo server is in one of those smaller, standard sized pre-built cases where the PSU is installed at the top of the case and has short-ish cables.  And I think that is what will be the limiting factor in finding a new case to use as I want to keep all of the same hardware (with its shorter cabling).  

Does anyone know of a case where the PSU is installed at the top with lots of HDD storage (6+)?  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

4 minutes ago, nick name said:

Hello all. I'd like to move my Plex server into a different case that will allow for more HDDs to be installed into.  My current little Lenovo server is in one of those smaller, standard sized pre-built cases where the PSU is installed at the top of the case and has short-ish cables.  And I think that is what will be the limiting factor in finding a new case to use as I want to keep all of the same hardware (with its shorter cabling).  

Does anyone know of a case where the PSU is installed at the top with lots of HDD storage (6+)?  

you can buy psu cable extensions. 6+hdd case are hard to find and can be expensive. i recommend a diy solution but that imo

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

17 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

you can buy psu cable extensions. 6+hdd case are hard to find and can be expensive. i recommend a diy solution but that imo

It's not the standard 24-pin, but I haven't looked for an extension for the PSU's pin-out so maybe I should.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

2 minutes ago, nick name said:

It's not the standard 24-pin, but I haven't looked for an extension for the PSU's pin-out so maybe I should.  

oh then i wound bother moving it then unless you want to cut and extend the wires your self. just buy a better pc...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

Prebuilts are often proprietary in some way. It's far better to do a budget DIY build.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

I am kinda confused, reading through this topic.

I have had a few (old and cheap, sometimes free) cases with >6 HDD bays and a top mounted PSU, so finding one shouldn't be too difficult. You can use an adapter like this if you want to connect drives that are further away, but

a) I have had one of those that wasn't making a great connection and

b) you should make sure that you have enough SATA ports on your board (and/or HBA) too.

This type of adapter and splitter exists too. Make sure that the cables aren't overheating if you use this type for a lot of HDDs, the ones coming from the PSU are possibly too thin if extended. They might be if they are getting noticeably warm to the touch (I'm talking unpleasantly warm, but I am not an expert and/or liable for anything you do) and they're certainly too thin if they combust 😉

I would recommend building your own server though, at least long-term.

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

20 hours ago, Bismut said:

I am kinda confused, reading through this topic.

I have had a few (old and cheap, sometimes free) cases with >6 HDD bays and a top mounted PSU, so finding one shouldn't be too difficult. You can use an adapter like this if you want to connect drives that are further away, but

a) I have had one of those that wasn't making a great connection and

b) you should make sure that you have enough SATA ports on your board (and/or HBA) too.

This type of adapter and splitter exists too. Make sure that the cables aren't overheating if you use this type for a lot of HDDs, the ones coming from the PSU are possibly too thin if extended. They might be if they are getting noticeably warm to the touch (I'm talking unpleasantly warm, but I am not an expert and/or liable for anything you do) and they're certainly too thin if they combust 😉

I would recommend building your own server though, at least long-term.

ya they made them years ago but dont anymore so can only find them used.

cant extends the cables if there proprietary they would have to cut and solder on longer wires.  witch is doable but dont no if op want to do that. i mean yopu dont even need to solder you can buy solder less connectors now days...

that being said cases with 6 hdd are even rare and can be costly. i no of a few cases that have top mout psus but there not cheap. one can have more hdd but no idea were you buy the hdd cadys for it... and it still cost like $200-$300 the other case i dont think has any hdd mounts.

for that price you can buy a new pc...

Edited by thrasher_565