Bios Settings Following Harddrive

Silverwolf_7

I have a Dell xps 9510 that has had 4 different motherboards installed. 2 for power rail problems. These seem to be resolved now. However now Bluetooth is disabled within the bios. There is no way to enable it as the option is greyed out. I am aware this is selected when the service tag is programmed by the tech. Did they just screw up programming twice or is it possible that once Bluetooth was disabled once now this setting is following the harddrive? Windows was not reinstalled and everything else seems to work fine.

2 minutes ago, Silverwolf_7 said:

I have a Dell xps 9510 that has had 4 different motherboards installed. 2 for power rail problems. These seem to be resolved now. However now Bluetooth is disabled within the bios. There is no way to enable it as the option is greyed out. I am aware this is selected when the service tag is programmed by the tech. Did they just screw up programming twice or is it possible that once Bluetooth was disabled once now this setting is following the harddrive? Windows was not reinstalled and everything else seems to work fine.

No, BIOS settings don't leave the BIOS.

If you want to check, unplug the harddrive, reset BIOS, and nothing will be any different.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

11 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

No, BIOS settings don't leave the BIOS.

If you want to check, unplug the harddrive, reset BIOS, and nothing will be any different.

On HP laptops, a backup BIOS image is saved on the boot drive, which is great if the board supports BIOS flashback, but the instance where I needed BIOS flashback, the board did not support it.

1 minute ago, BiotechBen said:

On HP laptops, a backup BIOS image is saved on the boot drive, which is great if the board supports BIOS flashback, but the instance where I needed BIOS flashback, the board did not support it.

That’s entirely possible, but unless you actually go out and try and load that bios save, it won’t arbitrarily decide to load it. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

23 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

That’s entirely possible, but unless you actually go out and try and load that bios save, it won’t arbitrarily decide to load it. 

If it detects a corrupted BIOS, during BIOS repair on startup, it will attempt to call upon that save.

2 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

If it detects a corrupted BIOS, during BIOS repair on startup, it will attempt to call upon that save.

Hmm. Well, that is interesting. I am surprised it would have a subroutine to check for corrupted BIOS seeing how rare this is. 

But, regardless, for the OP, if they disconnect the harddrive it would make this impossible for the system to do and would prove one way or the other if BIOS is someone being pulled from the harddrive (I really doubt it is). 

Just now, LIGISTX said:

Hmm. Well, that is interesting. I am surprised it would have a subroutine to check for corrupted BIOS seeing how rare this is. 

But, regardless, for the OP, if they disconnect the harddrive it would make this impossible for the system to do and would prove one way or the other if BIOS is someone being pulled from the harddrive (I really doubt it is). 

I mean, seems like a pretty simple if-then.

If          BIOS check = fail

Then   load BIOS recovery image.

9 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

I mean, seems like a pretty simple if-then.

If          BIOS check = fail

Then   load BIOS recovery image.

Sure, but this is such a niche thing. I have built and maintained well over 50 PC’s, never once have I seen BIOS get corrupted. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Again, OP can very easily test for this.