B550

hi i have a  AMD Ryzen 7 3700X will that cpu work on a b550 Whitout bios flash/update?

what board is it?  I'll look it up for you and show you how to do it yourself in the future

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Yes, the B550 chipset itself was released after the 3700X, so it will support it. 

That said, what happened to your old board and why do you need an upgrade? Upgrading the motherboard almost never makes sense, especially for a dead socket like AM4. Or if you bought that chip now, why did you get that instead of the 5600/5600X? Those Ryzen 5000 series chips are almost always cheaper and they perform better in pretty much everything. 

On 7/31/2022 at 11:51 AM, RONOTHAN## said:

Yes, the B550 chipset itself was released after the 3700X, so it will support it. 

That said, what happened to your old board and why do you need an upgrade? Upgrading the motherboard almost never makes sense, especially for a dead socket like AM4. Or if you bought that chip now, why did you get that instead of the 5600/5600X? Those Ryzen 5000 series chips are almost always cheaper and they perform better in pretty much everything. 

I have a 3070 whitch is in a pci gen 3 slot (if the 3000 series even supports that and yea maybe i will upgrade the cpu whit it)

2 hours ago, Rickjuhh said:

I have a 3070 whitch is in a pci gen 3 slot (if the 3000 series even supports that and yea maybe i will upgrade the cpu whit it)

The 3070 for just gaming doesn't really benefit from PCIe Gen 4. This isn't worth the upgrade. 

10 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The 3070 for just gaming doesn't really benefit from PCIe Gen 4. This isn't worth the upgrade. 

A okay what should i upgrade specs

3 rgb fans 

Case 465x

Commander pro

Rgb hub

2tb hdd

500 gb m.2

Cpu amd ryzen 7 3700x

Gpu 3070 ventux x2

Psu 650 80 plus bronze

Motherboard msi m2 pro or someting like that

1 minute ago, Rickjuhh said:

3 rgb fans 

Case 465x

Commander pro

Rgb hub

2tb hdd

500 gb m.2

Cpu amd ryzen 7 3700x

Gpu 3070 ventux x2

Psu 650 80 plus bronze

Motherboard msi m2 pro or someting like that

I don't really see anything that's worth upgrading. That board isn't amazing or anything, but it should be fine enough. The $150 for the price of a new motherboard realistically should just be saved for a bigger upgrade in the future, whether that be AM5, RTX 40 series, RX 7000 series, 13th gen Intel, etc., or maybe just more games. You won't get any more performance out of a motherboard upgrade unless you're power throttling (not impossible on a board like that, but not super likely either in anything but prime95, and that can be fixed by just slapping a fan on the VRM), and unless there is a feature that you really want a board upgrade just makes no sense. 

Is there something in particular that your system isn't able to do for you, or do you more or less just wanna upgrade something for the fun of it? If it's for the fun of it, wait a month or two more for next gen CPUs and motherboards to launch, if it's for something that your system just isn't doing it would be helpful to know exactly what that is.

13 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I don't really see anything that's worth upgrading. That board isn't amazing or anything, but it should be fine enough. The $150 for the price of a new motherboard realistically should just be saved for a bigger upgrade in the future, whether that be AM5, RTX 40 series, RX 7000 series, 13th gen Intel, etc., or maybe just more games. You won't get any more performance out of a motherboard upgrade unless you're power throttling (not impossible on a board like that, but not super likely either in anything but prime95, and that can be fixed by just slapping a fan on the VRM), and unless there is a feature that you really want a board upgrade just makes no sense. 

Is there something in particular that your system isn't able to do for you, or do you more or less just wanna upgrade something for the fun of it? If it's for the fun of it, wait a month or two more for next gen CPUs and motherboards to launch, if it's for something that your system just isn't doing it would be helpful to know exactly what that is.

If i replace my stock cooler of the 3700x whit a 240mm aio whit my psu ? For a later upgrade to a amd  7 5800x or 5 5600x

5 hours ago, Rickjuhh said:

If i replace my stock cooler of the 3700x whit a 240mm aio whit my psu ? For a later upgrade to a amd  7 5800x or 5 5600x

I mean, you could do that, but it's really not necessary. A 5600 would be a decent upgrade, but only if you get it for a good price or need a bit more single thread performance. I still stand by what I said though, if you just want to upgrade because your computer isn't doing what you need it to, and if it is doing what you want and you just want to modify it, wait a month or two for next gen stuff to show up and upgrade to that instead. 

8 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I mean, you could do that, but it's really not necessary. A 5600 would be a decent upgrade, but only if you get it for a good price or need a bit more single thread performance. I still stand by what I said though, if you just want to upgrade because your computer isn't doing what you need it to, and if it is doing what you want and you just want to modify it, wait a month or two for next gen stuff to show up and upgrade to that instead. 

Would my stock coolet be enoug for a 7 5800x or the mext gen

30 minutes ago, Rickjuhh said:

Would my stock coolet be enoug for a 7 5800x or the mext gen

For a 5800X, not really, and we don't know the thermal characteristics of next gen to know whether you need to upgrade the cooler. 

Still, wait upgrade the cooler at the same time you upgrade the CPU so you know how much cooler you need.

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

For a 5800X, not really, and we don't know the thermal characteristics of next gen to know whether you need to upgrade the cooler. 

Still, wait upgrade the cooler at the same time you upgrade the CPU so you know how much cooler you need.

True i wanted to go for a corsair aio

6 minutes ago, Rickjuhh said:

True i wanted to go for a corsair aio

OK, then upgrade the AIO at the same time you upgrade the CPU and motherboard. Ryzen 7000 is looking like it will be very nice according to the rumors (though we will need to wait 2-3 months to know for sure), and waiting for that to come out is not a bad idea, especially if you already have a computer that is holding you over. Upgrading the cooler at the same time will just help ensure you get enough cooling capacity for that particular chip when you go to get it, and you might as well just wait and do all the upgrades at the same time.

2 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

OK, then upgrade the AIO at the same time you upgrade the CPU and motherboard. Ryzen 7000 is looking like it will be very nice according to the rumors (though we will need to wait 2-3 months to know for sure), and waiting for that to come out is not a bad idea, especially if you already have a computer that is holding you over. Upgrading the cooler at the same time will just help ensure you get enough cooling capacity for that particular chip when you go to get it, and you might as well just wait and do all the upgrades at the same time.

thats okay thx for the help

but is my Psu enoug 650 bronze 80 plus>?

2 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

But the ryzen 7000 wont support ddr 4 but the new intel will support maybe switch to intel then>? 

thats okay thx for the help

but is my Psu enoug 650 bronze 80 plus>?

It depends on the exact PSU model. 650W is plenty for the system you've currently got and a CPU upgrade. 80+ Bronze says nothing about the PSU quality, only it's a certain amount efficient. If it's a good one then yeah it'll be fine, but if it's one that's bordering on fire hazard I'd want to upgrade it before upgrading anything. 

But the ryzen 7000 wont support ddr 4 but the new intel will support maybe switch to intel then>? 

Intel is not bad. 12th gen right now is really fast, I've built a couple systems with it for friends. I am waiting to see what 13th gen an AM5 bring to the table, I have been primarily AMD for most of my life so I am a little more biased towards them for my main rig. If you want to carry forward your RAM though 13th gen would also be a really good option. 

On 8/2/2022 at 7:28 AM, Rickjuhh said:

Why do you want to upgrade? All your stuff is pretty recent and still more than decent

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It depends on the exact PSU model. 650W is plenty for the system you've currently got and a CPU upgrade. 80+ Bronze says nothing about the PSU quality, only it's a certain amount efficient. If it's a good one then yeah it'll be fine, but if it's one that's bordering on fire hazard I'd want to upgrade it before upgrading anything. 

Intel is not bad. 12th gen right now is really fast, I've built a couple systems with it for friends. I am waiting to see what 13th gen an AM5 bring to the table, I have been primarily AMD for most of my life so I am a little more biased towards them for my main rig. If you want to carry forward your RAM though 13th gen would also be a really good option. 

my psu is this one https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/Power-Supply-Units-General-Purpose/CV-Series/p/CP-9020211-NA

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Why do you want to upgrade? All your stuff is pretty recent and still more than decent

actlly my pc freezes in games sometimes and i see my freinds having a 7 5800x for example not having it 🙂 and i want to always be on it whit upgrades and i did not upgrade my pc for 2 year or someting like that and around the 2 years i will upgrade and its my birthday soon 🙂

8 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

OK, that one isn't great. It might be fine with a CPU upgrade, but I'd probably save up and upgrade it at the same time as your next major upgrade. 

then ill go first for a PSU upgrade to be safe 

and then the new cpu's will be out and look furter

2 minutes ago, Rickjuhh said:

then ill go first for a PSU upgrade to be safe 

and then the new cpu's will be out and look furter

OK, if you want to upgrade something now I guess that's as good an option as any. Personally I'd go for an A-tier 750W and up if you're going to upgrade.

https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

16 minutes ago, Rickjuhh said:

actlly my pc freezes in games sometimes and i see my freinds having a 7 5800x for example not having it 🙂

Do you store your games on your hard disk? That's probably the issue here, not the CPU.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

13 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

OK, if you want to upgrade something now I guess that's as good an option as any. Personally I'd go for an A-tier 750W and up if you're going to upgrade.

https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

I was thinking a 850rm 2021 review corsair and  whats better a AIO OR BIG tower cooler?

13 hours ago, Sauron said:

Do you store your games on your hard disk? That's probably the issue here, not the CPU.

Yeah is on a hard drive but its only whit 1 or 2 games f1 and an other