My PSU exploded

I was running game on Rtx 2060 super and suddenly the PSU exploded. I have been using this GPU for at least 7 months but no issue was so far. But today the PSU exploded. My concern is if my GPU is gone too? I can't test it as I don't have an extra PSU... So please let me know if there is any possibility of my GPU to be damaged like if anyone have any idea on such kind of scenario.

Depends on what happened.

You'll need a new PSU anyhow, so all there is to do really is try with a new one.

2 minutes ago, Rajarshi Samadder said:

o please let me know if there is any possibility of my GPU to be damaged like if anyone have any idea on such kind of scenario.

Yeah, a PSU explosion can take any part connected to it with it, so a CPU, GPU, SSD, motherboard, etc. 

Whether it did or not will depend on how it exploded and how lucky you are, and the only real way to tell is to replace the PSU and see if it POSTs. 

Good luck. 

Thanks for the replies. What really happened is I rushed to the nearest pc shop and explained but they didn't have stored a powerful PSU. So they set a basic one of 450 watts. Now the PC is running fine with my old GPU 1050 ti and then again I couldn't test the RTX. Guess I have to wait anyway.

16 minutes ago, Rajarshi Samadder said:

Thanks for the replies. What really happened is I rushed to the nearest pc shop and explained but they didn't have stored a powerful PSU. So they set a basic one of 450 watts. Now the PC is running fine with my old GPU 1050 ti and then again I couldn't test the RTX. Guess I have to wait anyway.

Seems your PSU only shutdown (OC protection), not "exploded", then it'll work fine

What's your rig ? I mean a 2060S and it's 175W shouldn't trigger a shutdown on a 450W PSU, unless it's real crap

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

9 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Seems your PSU only shutdown (OC protection), not "exploded", then it'll work fine

What's your rig ? I mean a 2060S and it's 175W shouldn't trigger a shutdown on a 450W PSU, unless it's real crap

No, the PSU didn't shut down it's capacitors popped (i guess) and smoke came out. The retailer tasted the damaged PSU and that was of 800 watts and told its dead. so the 450 w one is new.

13 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

And my setup is i5 10400f, 32 gigs of ddr4 ram 3200 mhz, and the rtx 2060

What model PSU was it?

The GPU breaking is a possibility. Testing using a 450w PSU should be fine for the system. If it just boots, it's most likely fine.

Anything connected to your PSU could be damaged. This is something I got very lucky on years ago when I had a power supply fail and spray a shower of sparks out the back when it did. Turned out it did not take anything with it but as I said I got lucky. Since then I have been very picky about my PSU's and never cheap out on them.

Always get a good PSU because a bad one can take the rest of the system with it.

What model PSU was it? A good 450W can absolutely power your system, but a shit 750W might not.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, Rajarshi Samadder said:

Gigabyte psu... gigabyte p 750 gm 

Those are known to explode. It shouldn't have damaged the rest of the PC though.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450