Help with Libre Office Problem

I used the libre office writer to right something in greek and then saved it as a txt file. When I reopened it it is unlegible. Its all like asian characters or weird symbols. Is there any way to fix it??

Saved as a txt file as in a .txt file? For future reference, don't do that with formatted documents. Unless you've turned it off, LibreOffice warns you to use an actual document format like .odt when saving, if you don't then this happens. txt isn't made for anything other than storing characters, so if you had anything other than just text, like formatting, tables, or images, that's all gone forever.

Regarding what you do have, if it's opening by default in Notepad, try opening it in Writer by using Writer's "Open" option (File > Open or Ctrl + O). If it doesn't work in Writer, it might be opening with the wrong encoding. The easiest way I know to open a document with multiple encodings is to use Notepad++. Install it from here: https://notepad-plus-plus.org/, open your file with it, and in the bottom bar you can right click on the second box from the right to test the file with different encodings. It will probably say UTF-8 by default.

image.png.e5e823fdacfc1a2deca3f0c6f17ff7ca.png

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

If you open that text file in LibreOffice Write it will appear as text.

I've just done it, saved a short document as txt and the original, before saving, had underlined, crossed out, italic and bold words in the document.

Opening the saved document in LibreOffice Write simply shows raw text.

So if you are going to write the right way you have to do your writing right.

After writing save as odt or  doc or docx.

1 hour ago, RollyShed said:

If you open that text file in LibreOffice Write it will appear as text.

I've just done it, saved a short document as txt and the original, before saving, had underlined, crossed out, italic and bold words in the document.

Opening the saved document in LibreOffice Write simply shows raw text.

So if you are going to write the right way you have to do your writing right.

After writing save as odt or  doc or docx.

The thing is the writing is in Greek so it so there might have been a problem with the characters and the formatting because they all show up as "chinese" or symbols

On 7/29/2022 at 2:27 PM, ManosMax13 said:

The thing is the writing is in Greek so it so there might have been a problem with the characters and the formatting because they all show up as "chinese" or symbols

Logically, though I've not dug into it, if saved as a document, doc or odt, it will have instructions to go and use the fonts that you have available with your version of the office suite. If you didn't have those fonts, as opened by another user's computer, they would get rubbish too.

However, saving as text tells it to save a minimum of information about the text i.e. do not define the font used. When you opened the txt saved document, the code for each letter is not recognised and you get garbage shown.

So, if you want the document reader to show what you want, it has to have the information. If it had been exported as a PDF then that is different again and it should show the Greek font on any computer.