What is the difference between .2GHZ on a cpu?

I'm planning a $1000 build for my pc, I choose out the parts, but I realized that I wouldn't have enough for a good gpu. I tried to look through all other options and I found that I can change my AMD Ryzen 5 3600x from 4.4ghz to 4.2ghz for 100 dollars, I want to change it but I'm afraid that will change something that I shouldn't for the system... should I keep the 4.4ghz or go for the cheaper 4.2?

What different cpu would you be swapping it out for? Whats the whole build?

Id probably skip on a 3600x on a new build, either get a 5xxx or 12th gen chip unless your getting a great deal.

But .2ghz will make almost no performance difference.

200 Mhz means diddly in the grand scheme of things. The question is, how many less cores and threads does it have? THAT will make all the difference. If you're stepping down from 8 cores to six cores and 16 threads to 12 threads, THAT will make a huge difference in performance depending on what you use it for.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

7 minutes ago, XY_ said:

I can change my AMD Ryzen 5 3600x from 4.4ghz to 4.2ghz for 100 dollars

Well, no, you can't. They don't sell the 3600X in "4.4ghz" and "4.2ghz" varieties. 

Most likely what you're looking at is is the Ryzen 5 3600 vs the Ryzen 5 3600X. The only difference between them is the 3600X is theoretically a higher binned chip and therefore has a slightly higher max boost clock.

The difference is certainly not worth $100.

As @Electronics Wizardy said, there is little reason to do a new build with a Ryzen 3000 series CPU now anyway.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

its gonna be the same type just going down from 4.4 to 4.2 ghz. The gpu will be dependent on the cpu change, im using a asus rog strix b450f motherboard, 2x8gb corsair LPX for ram, samsung 970 500gb for ssd with 2 tb 5400rpm hard drive, 500w power supply

3 minutes ago, XY_ said:

its gonna be the same type just going down from 4.4 to 4.2 ghz. The gpu will be dependent on the cpu change, im using a asus rog strix b450f motherboard, 2x8gb corsair LPX for ram, samsung 970 500gb for ssd with 2 tb 5400rpm hard drive, 500w power supply

The 3600x is only sold with one listed clock speed, so if you were to get a different speed, then you would have a different model of cpu.

Whast the full specs? Do you have a pcpp link?

If your trying to save money, Id go for a cheaper board and ssd to get the better gpu.

7 minutes ago, XY_ said:

its gonna be the same type just going down from 4.4 to 4.2 ghz. 

Again, most likely you are looking at a 3600 vs a 3600X, or one site you are looking at has an error in the specifications. 

There is no meaningful difference between the two that would cause you to pick a certain GPU for one but not the other.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

9 minutes ago, XY_ said:

im using a asus rog strix b450f motherboard,

Consider the MSI b450 tomahawk, it's typically cheaper for much the same

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, XY_ said:

I'm planning a $1000 build for my pc, I choose out the parts, but I realized that I wouldn't have enough for a good gpu. I tried to look through all other options and I found that I can change my AMD Ryzen 5 3600x from 4.4ghz to 4.2ghz for 100 dollars, I want to change it but I'm afraid that will change something that I shouldn't for the system... should I keep the 4.4ghz or go for the cheaper 4.2?

See if you can afford the 5600G for this build. It's a bit faster than the 3600X and will have onboard graphics in case something happens to your video card, you have a backup plan. 

Just an idea. 

Good Luck with the build!