My motherboard have 3 pcie x16 slots, 1 for GPU, but what are the remaining 2 for?

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

One thing is those aren't x16 slots electrically. There x4 and x1 slots, just with a bigger physical connector.

But you can put any card you want in. GPUs, network cards, storage, sound cards, accelerators, and more.

Most all gaming pcs will just have it empty, motherboards have almost all you need built in now.

Motherboard: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 Wifi.

So, I'm rather new to mid-end builds, my previous motherboard was the H series ones, which lack features. Now with a mid-end motherboard, I'm rather confused about what the other 2 pcie x16 slots are for? Obviously crossfiire and SLI are not viable, so what for?

I'm wondering, whether this could be a future upgrade for me, I've been googling pcie x16 slot devices or parts, could not find a straight answer. 

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

One thing is those aren't x16 slots electrically. There x4 and x1 slots, just with a bigger physical connector.

But you can put any card you want in. GPUs, network cards, storage, sound cards, accelerators, and more.

Most all gaming pcs will just have it empty, motherboards have almost all you need built in now.

9 minutes ago, Dukesilver27- said:

so what for?

Anything you can find. SSDs, capture cards, network cards, RAID cards, GPUs (assuming they don't need more than 4 PCIe lanes for good performance, those slots may be x16 in length but they're only wired for x4 and x1, it'll work no matter what it just might not be up to the performance you'd expect), whatever you can think of. That's the brilliance of PCIe, it can be adapted to basically everything.

For just a normal gaming system, none of those really matter, for 95% of gamers a motherboard could have a single x16 slot and an M.2 slot and be perfectly adequate, they're just there if in the future you think "man, I could really use an couple USB ports" or something along those lines.

Basically they're there to give you access to more of the PCIe lanes your chip can provide or to allow people to mount the GPU in a different spot. Most people won't use them, but they can be used for things like extra NVMe drives, high speed networking, or more GPUs (for compute purposes, since SLI and crossfire are dead). Often they also aren't wired for the full x16 the physical connectors are capable of, but the plastic slots are relatively cheap and they physically secure GPUs better than the smaller versions of PCIe slots.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

To an extent the large number of PCIe slots on a standard ATX form factor motherboard is a holdover from the days when damn near "everything" was a card (although they didn't go in PCIe slots, we are talking before PCIe existed). Watch a retro build video on a channel like Lazy Game Reviews and gaze in awe at the stack of 5-6 cards in the machine. (Of course they all look pretty puny and unimpressive compared to a modern GPU, but it does make it easier to see why these things were called "cards" in the first place.)

But many of the functions you used to need a card for have now been absorbed into the motherboard itself. Audio is a good example. Sound cards used to be (talking the 90's into the 2000's here) essential, now the audio hardware built in to the board is good enough for the overwhelming majority and of the audiophile minority, most don't choose a sound card as a solution... there's only a couple of companies I can think of even still making sound cards and they're the same models they've been making for years. 

These days other PCIe devices to put in those slots like the ones @RONOTHAN## mentioned do exist and you might find some of them useful at some point (my wife's system has a PCIe wifi card in it, I've used cards to add additional internal USB headers in the recent past) but 90% of people will never put any PCIe devices in their builds except a single GPU.

This means that most people could get by with the lower number of PCIe slots offered by mATX and m-ITX form factors and never feel a lack. However, mATX has basically been pigeon-holed as a barebones budget option and m-ITX has other practicality and price drawbacks. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

My desktop is using all the slots to the point I'm probably going to upgrade to Cascade Lake-X when that comes out next quarter:

GPU (obvious)

Sound Card (need SPDIF out)

P5800X SSD (obvious, it's limited by running at PCIe 3.0 though instead of 4.0)

10GB network (there's only a handful of mobos that have this built in, also being limited to x1 I think because Z690 doesn't have enough lanes)

My server is using most of the slots:

GPU

RAID card

10GB network

I'm actively annoyed at the number of motherboards that basically only have 2 slots nowadays but will have like 5 M.2 slots.  No one is  putting that many SSD's in their desktop.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

I had to use one of mine to add a Type E (front USB C) header . Good old TUF gaming plus didn't come with a header, and I am not about to lose out on my USB C port

On 7/27/2022 at 6:45 AM, Dukesilver27- said:

Motherboard: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 Wifi.

So, I'm rather new to mid-end builds, my previous motherboard was the H series ones, which lack features. Now with a mid-end motherboard, I'm rather confused about what the other 2 pcie x16 slots are for? Obviously crossfiire and SLI are not viable, so what for?

I'm wondering, whether this could be a future upgrade for me, I've been googling pcie x16 slot devices or parts, could not find a straight answer. 

You can use them for any other devices which use a pcie interface, also they arent 16x slots, they are pci x4 and x1 slots, you can connect network cards, sound cards, more ports, etc.