New GPU recommends 850w PSU

Kevin_Walter

I just ordered a PowerColor Red Devil 6800 XT because they're only $20 over reference MSRP on Amazon right now, and it recommends an 850w PSU. 

I currently have an EVGA SuperNova G2 750w PSU that has served me extremely well for the however many years I've had it (I bought it not too long after the i5 6600k launched, if that dates it easily enough), and was wondering if an upgrade is actually warranted. 

I don't usually OC my GPUs. I've always had stability issues every time I tried and just don't really feel like fiddling with it. 

I was loking at NZXT's C850. Any thoughts on those?

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

What's the rest of your PC?

Yeah, that would probably be helpful, wouldn't it?

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite

Ryzen 7 3800X paired with an NZXT Kraken X63

G.skill TridentZ RGB 16GB 3200MHz

And the usual litany of peripherals. Keyboard, keypad, mouse, 120mm exhaust fan, that 1TB ADATA NVMe ssd that was really popular a year or two ago, a 2TB WD Black, headset... whatever random amount of power all that stuff draws.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

does your PSU have the necessary 8-pin connectors for the 6800XT? they tend to go a bit overboard on the PSU requirements, because some people run an fx9590 (is that joke dated yet?) a threadripper 64-core.

i've got an R7 5800X, and a (painfully dated) GTX970, and i dont go past 400 watts at benchmark load on both sides. assuming that your 6800XT doesnt abuse it's 8-pins more than my GTX970 abuses it's single 8-pin, i wouldnt expect you going past the 600 watt mark too far.

1 hour ago, Kevin_Walter said:

Yeah, that would probably be helpful, wouldn't it?

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite

Ryzen 7 3800X paired with an NZXT Kraken X63

G.skill TridentZ RGB 16GB 3200MHz

And the usual litany of peripherals. Keyboard, keypad, mouse, 120mm exhaust fan, that 1TB ADATA NVMe ssd that was really popular a year or two ago, a 2TB WD Black, headset... whatever random amount of power all that stuff draws.

750W might be fine, depending on how much power your system draws at load.

I'd probably roll with it and see what happens, but stand by for a PSU upgrade in case it's necessary.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

13 hours ago, manikyath said:

does your PSU have the necessary 8-pin connectors for the 6800XT? they tend to go a bit overboard on the PSU requirements, because some people run an fx9590 (is that joke dated yet?) a threadripper 64-core.

i've got an R7 5800X, and a (painfully dated) GTX970, and i dont go past 400 watts at benchmark load on both sides. assuming that your 6800XT doesnt abuse it's 8-pins more than my GTX970 abuses it's single 8-pin, i wouldnt expect you going past the 600 watt mark too far.

It does. The card has 2 8 pin connectors, and I believe my PSU has 4. 

But you just reminded me that I need to drive an hour back to my parents' place because that's where all my extra cables are. Ugh...

EDIT: nevermind, my Vega 56 uses two 8 pins as well, so the new card should be mostly plug and play, I guess.