spec for a PC that has to last a long time

Tom_nerd

Budget (including currency): roughly £1000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Lasting a long time, although needs compatibility with most workstation programs (basically it needs CUDA)

Current parts list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/NHgzhk

(no other parts needed)

Thanks in advance,

Tom

are you getting the 'k' chip for the 4 e-cores?

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Just now, SimplyChunk said:

are you getting the 'k' chip for the 4 e-cores?

yes

1 minute ago, Tom_nerd said:

yes

Then I have no suggestions.  Looks like a solid rig

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

If you mean last a long time as in you don't wanna upgrade or spend more on it, this is a very solid build and for both production work and gaming it's gonna last at least 5-6 years. The only time a machine gets outdated is when it can't provide a good experience. Heck I still use 11 year old hardware for budget system 1080p gaming today.

If however you mean last a long time as in, you still want to have the option of upgrading down the line, then this build isn't very good for that, or well not yet at least. It might be possible to upgrade to 13th gen but we don't know yet, and it's also DDR4. If upgradability is what you're after you'll wanna wait until 13th gen and Ryzen 7000's releases so we have more info.

It's a beast of a computer and could easily last 10 years assuming 4k doesn't become the standard for resolutions in that time, just that the upgradability of it isn't that much, but to be honest by the time you even need an upgrade you'll have enough for a full system so, don't let it hold you back from the purchase, I just wanted to inform you of it.

It is said that an Italian dies every time Spaghetti is broken.

That's why I break mine twice.

You may want to research exactly what workstation tasks you'll be running and determine if 16GB of system RAM is enough for them + daily computing tasks. 

I'd suggest a better cooler. The i5-12600k has a max turbo power of 150W. 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

On 7/22/2022 at 6:53 PM, brob said:

I'd suggest a better cooler. The i5-12600k has a max turbo power of 150W. 

what would you suggest?

On 7/22/2022 at 11:31 AM, Tom_nerd said:

Budget (including currency): roughly £1000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Lasting a long time, although needs compatibility with most workstation programs (basically it needs CUDA)

Current parts list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/NHgzhk

(no other parts needed)

Thanks in advance,

Tom

You should get a better air cooler, like others have noted. A better case would also be helpful. I generally recommend the Lian Li O11 Air Mini at a ~100 dollar US price point, Fractal Focus G at an ultra budget price point.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/kkrnyK

Not worth keeping a system for over 5 or 7 years just because new tech is just better, i mean a 7700k loses to a 3300x, once top end now entry level

1 hour ago, NF-A12x25 said:

You should get a better air cooler, like others have noted. A better case would also be helpful. I generally recommend the Lian Li O11 Air Mini at a ~100 dollar US price point, Fractal Focus G at an ultra budget price point.

Would not suggest wasting that much on a case, all it needs to do is house the pc parts, protect the pc parts, and allow for ample cooling. If all 3 are satisfied then i deem the case ok to use, even those office cases from 10 years ago still function fine so other than the outdated look and the bad airflow that can very easily be fixed by taking off the sidepanel it still works fine, so i dont see any issues going for a cheap case like the zalman s2

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Would not suggest wasting that much on a case, all it needs to do is house the pc parts, protect the pc parts, and allow for ample cooling. If all 3 are satisfied then i deem the case ok to use, even those office cases from 10 years ago still function fine so other than the outdated look and the bad airflow that can very easily be fixed by taking off the sidepanel it still works fine, so i dont see any issues going for a cheap case like the zalman s2

Fair point. I always have gone for at least decent cases because they’re both easier to build in (which is obviously better for a novice builder as well) and if selected carefully have great airflow stock. But you’re right in saying cheaper cases can be modded to have somewhat decent airflow, even if they are harder to build in.

1 hour ago, NF-A12x25 said:

Fair point. I always have gone for at least decent cases because they’re both easier to build in (which is obviously better for a novice builder as well) and if selected carefully have great airflow stock. But you’re right in saying cheaper cases can be modded to have somewhat decent airflow, even if they are harder to build in.

imo not worth paying an extra 100$ for easier build just because you only need to do it like once or twice depending if you wanna upgrade or run into issues, my 10$ office case is completely fine to build in and with this mesh sidepanel its pretty much equivalent to most decent cases already, i/o is obv lacking but you can just add more i/o to the back with those header to ex usb port in the back that take up an expansion slot