GPUs for folding

I was looking at parts for a future rig and previously I had my mind set on GTX 680/780 due to Nvidia's dominance in folding, but now with Core 17 I'm very much considering 7970/8970. What do you guys think of it? ( I wasn't sure to post it in the graphics card forum or here since it's folding ) I'm also planning to do video editing + CAD so with OpenCL I think the idea of going for AMD is pretty good. I just wonder when the frame rating thing will be fixed.

core 17 may take a while to really be released and it fluctuates quite a bit, so its safer to go for nvidia if its for folding but the performance MAY be better on amd, we just cant be sure, really

a single amd card would be good, its crossfire that has problems, mainly.

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

I was looking at parts for a future rig and previously I had my mind set on GTX 680/780 due to Nvidia's dominance in folding, but now with Core 17 I'm very much considering 7970/8970. What do you guys think of it? ( I wasn't sure to post it in the graphics card forum or here since it's folding ) I'm also planning to do video editing + CAD so with OpenCL I think the idea of going for AMD is pretty good. I just wonder when the frame rating thing will be fixed.

My 670 broke the 44,000 point barrier today. I'm not sure how Core 17 would affect AMD cards though, nor do I know what points they can achieve.

CPU: Intel i5-2320 @ 3.9gHz

GPU: MSI GTX 670 PE @ 1411/7387

I wanna go fast! :P

My 670 broke the 44,000 point barrier today. I'm not sure how Core 17 would affect AMD cards though, nor do I know what points they can achieve.

7970 hit about 100k and Titan is about 110k, this is mainly the reason why I'm debating it.

The main problem is it is still Beta. They may pull it back, tweak it, etc. Know clue when a final will come out. SO, eval when you are ready to buy. If still in Beta, I would go for NVidia. If beta is done and the points are rocking, then AMD. :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

The main problem is it is still Beta. They may pull it back, tweak it, etc. Know clue when a final will come out. SO, eval when you are ready to buy. If still in Beta, I would go for NVidia. If beta is done and the points are rocking, then AMD. :)

Thanks for the idea, yeah I suppose I'll wait out buying things and buy new headphones/microphone first then my rig. 

hey guys i have almost the same issue here after reading this i a sticking with nvidia for now but my question is which one to choose i might be able to replace my 2 gtx 465's that are only giving me 17k a piece  with the beta core with 2 gtx 660 or should i just get one more gtx 660ti which is giving me 60k. would the ppd be worth the extra $.

At 17K... why replace? :)

My 660 isn't doing to great, even with the 7663 - go with a 660ti if you getting that much.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99