Linux not working on dell laptop

Go to solution Solved by LIETZIBOY,

Update: My laptop is now retired but I managed to get lubuntu working. I just downloaded the iso flashed it with rufus (no special settings) and booted and it worked.

Hey there, i wanted to install ubuntu on my old Dell xps 17 L702x. I´ve been having almost the same problems as described in this Thread. (I doesnt let me go into the menu for installing ubuntu)

I´ve tried installing ubuntu on an ssd on my pc and then inserting it back in the laptop but it also said "Operation System not found"

Fedora also doesnt work.

I just really need some suggestions.

Edited by LIETZIBOY
+

So you're able to install Ubuntu from the installation media but when you go to boot the OS for the first time the laptop says it can't find it?

Does the laptop support both Legacy & UEFI or only one or the other?

You shouldn't have to but you can try disabling Secure Boot if you're using UEFI. Might help.

@Windows7ge

Oh, excuse me I misread the other tread.

i am unable to install ubuntu. I cant even get to any menu of sorts.

The Laptops bios doesnt even have the options to to anything like legacy uefi or secure boot. Its the worst bios i have ever seen.

6 minutes ago, LIETZIBOY said:

@Windows7ge

Oh, excuse me I misread the other tread.

i am unable to install ubuntu. I cant even get to any menu of sorts.

The Laptops bios doesnt even have the options to to anything like legacy uefi or secure boot. Its the worst bios i have ever seen.

So it's very picky about what it boots to I assume.

What are you using to try and install Ubuntu. If it's a USB stick what did you use to burn Ubuntu to it?

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

So it's very picky about what it boots to I assume.

What are you using to try and install Ubuntu. If it's a USB stick what did you use to burn Ubuntu to it?

Apperantly it is.

I downloaded the newest iso from ubuntu directly (I did the checksums) and then i used etcher.

4 minutes ago, LIETZIBOY said:

I downloaded the newest iso from ubuntu directly (I did the checksums) and then i used etcher.

Etcher on MacOS, Linux, or Windows?

At the same time do you have a Linux or MacOS computer accessible to you right now?

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Etcher on MacOS, Linux, or Windows?

At the same time do you have a Linux or MacOS computer accessible to you right now?

On Windows

I could install linux on my pc (native or vm doesnt matter) real quick or is Wsl sufficent?

1 minute ago, LIETZIBOY said:

On Windows

I could install linux on my pc (native or vm doesnt matter) real quick or is Wsl sufficent?

I don't think WSL has proper access to USB devices for what I would suggest.

On Windows try Rufus. See if picking "BIOS or UEFI" makes any difference. Depending on the .ISO file it may mot let you pick an alternative which should be fine.

If you have access to a native Linux system I would try using DD. These instructions work on Debian based distros like Ubuntu.

umount /dev/sdc*
sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdc
sudo dd if=/path/to/ubuntu-22.04-desktop-amd64.iso of=/dev/sdc status=progress

Replace the letter c in sdc with the letter associated with your USB stick. That's how you can make bootable USB drives on Linux.

10 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I don't think WSL has proper access to USB devices for what I would suggest.

On Windows try Rufus. See if picking "BIOS or UEFI" makes any difference. Depending on the .ISO file it may mot let you pick an alternative which should be fine.

If you have access to a native Linux system I would try using DD. These instructions work on Debian based distros like Ubuntu.

umount /dev/sdc*
sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdc
sudo dd if=/path/to/ubuntu-22.04-desktop-amd64.iso of=/dev/sdc status=progress

I just noticed that rufus also has a dd mode.

So im flashing a stick right now. Lets wait for the results.

And thanks for the patience and help, i am really at a los with this stuff.

1 minute ago, LIETZIBOY said:

I just noticed that rufus also has a dd mode.

So im flashing a stick right now. Lets wait for the results.

And thanks for the patience and help, i am really at a los with this stuff.

It's fine. I've got a headache project of my own I'm working on anyhow.

Laptops are notorious for being more locked down than desktops. Especially big name brands like Dell. Have you tried Windows installation media? Does it play friendly with that?

Just now, Windows7ge said:

It's fine. I've got a headache project of my own I'm working on anyhow.

Laptops are notorious for being more locked down than desktops. Especially big name brands like Dell. Have you tried Windows installation media? Does it play friendly with that?

Windows works fine for some weird reason.

Ive tried finding unlocked bios but that just doesnt excist.

Anyways Rufus is at 80%.

Quick update:

The Rufus dd mode didnt make a difference still the same error when booting from usb (Operation System not found)

I am now trying to do native linux dd now

5 minutes ago, LIETZIBOY said:

Windows works fine for some weird reason.

Ive tried finding unlocked bios but that just doesnt excist.

Anyways Rufus is at 80%.

That could be chucked up to a security feature issue then. With UEFI Windows boot media has a certificate signed by Microsoft to authenticate that the files aren't tampered with. Meanwhile some Linux distro certificates are self-signed which UEFI can in instances not trust. This is when disabling Secure Boot would be necessary.

Most popular distros usually work fine but like the project I'm working on which is booting installers off the network instead of from USB UEFI does not trust iPXE self-signed media.

Based on your photos it doesn't look obvious where you might be able to disable it for testing purposes though.

2 minutes ago, LIETZIBOY said:

Quick update:

The Rufus dd mode didnt make a difference still the same error when booting from usb (Operation System not found)

I am now trying to do native linux dd now

It was worth a shot. Rufus works for most computers. This isn't a good sign for this laptop. They may have locked it down in the BIOS to where Linux is not an option. Have you googled around beforehand? Anybody else get Linux running on it?

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

That could be chucked up to a security feature issue then. With UEFI Windows boot media has a certificate signed by Microsoft to authenticate that the files aren't tampered with. Meanwhile some Linux distro certificates are self-signed which UEFI can in instances not trust. This is when disabling Secure Boot would be necessary.

Most popular distros usually work fine but like the project I'm working on which is booting installers off the network instead of from USB UEFI does not trust iPXE self-signed media.

Based on your photos it doesn't look obvious where you might be able to disable it for testing purposes though.

It was worth a shot. Rufus works for most computers. This isn't a good sign for this laptop. They may have locked it down in the BIOS to where Linux is not an option. Have you googled around beforehand? Anybody else get Linux running on it?

I havent found anything elso on google except the thread that i mentioned before.

I am trying the native linux dd but if that doesnt work i am giving up and just buying another cheap laptop.

5 minutes ago, LIETZIBOY said:

I havent found anything elso on google except the thread that i mentioned before.

I am trying the native linux dd but if that doesnt work i am giving up and just buying another cheap laptop.

Beyond giving DD a shot you said you already tried installing Ubuntu on another computer and moving the drive over. That'd be my last ditch effort suggestion but since that didn't work either I don't have anything else for you.

Looking at the Boot Priority Order what do the + marks signify? Do clicking on these show you storage devices that are available or does it just let you change the order of what's on the screen?

This is a final idea I have but it's not likely it will help. Check if there's a BIOS Update available. This suggestion is a long shot but it could possibly work if it's a BIOS bug or feature not available in the current version.

22 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Beyond giving DD a shot you said you already tried installing Ubuntu on another computer and moving the drive over. That'd be my last ditch effort suggestion but since that didn't work either I don't have anything else for you.

Looking at the Boot Priority Order what do the + marks signify? Do clicking on these show you storage devices that are available or does it just let you change the order of what's on the screen?

This is a final idea I have but it's not likely it will help. Check if there's a BIOS Update available. This suggestion is a long shot but it could possibly work if it's a BIOS bug or feature not available in the current version.

When you press enter on the plus it just shows you the devices that are in the category.

And i have the newest bios installed.

I will just give up at this point.

Thanks for the awesome help doe.

Edit: I didnt wanna give up entirely so i posted in the dell forums.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Unable-to-install-linux/m-p/8236063#M100149

Hi there,

I decided today to just put in my unraid usb and it worked for some reason.

So are there any linux distros that are similiar to unraid but work like ubuntu?

(weird question ik)

• 5 weeks later...

Update: My laptop is now retired but I managed to get lubuntu working. I just downloaded the iso flashed it with rufus (no special settings) and booted and it worked.