SHP 9500 vs HD 518 vs HD599 SE vs 58X (canada)

AmyTheBun

Hi

I used to have a pair of HD 518 but i sadly had to abandon them when moving to Canada and give them to my brother.

I need a new pair now to replace them

the options in Canada (I'm from Vancouver) seem to be the SHP 9500 for 125$(CAD, way more expensive than the us) a  Fidelio X2HR for 200$CAD HD 599 SE for 129$CAD. the 58X are 149$USD but I get a 20$USD coupon (Not working again today but i contacted support). unlike the other it has  shipping and customs upon arrival (15$USD shipping, no idea about duties, estimate is 187 CAD with duties after coupon)

I'm not exactly rich and I can't pay much, but considering that my last pair lasted 7 years and didn't even die (I just gave them away) I really rather invest in something similar rather than something that'll break again

I honestly can't tell anything above 256kbps apart and although my WH-1000XM2 are noticeably worse than my HD 518 I might probably not hear a lot of the differences most audiophiles do?

I listen to metal/punk mainly but I love all kinds of music. I think I prefer a more "flat" neutral sound. I wear it a lot so I want something very comfy like my HD 518

i'd love wireles but I know that even if I up my budget I won't get anything good. my HD 518 were connected to a fiio btr3k.

I heard that the 599 were pretty much the same as my 518 sound quality wise just more expensive so it makes me sad, though it's a good thing in a way because that HD 518 was more durable than a tank. I dropped it ran over it with my chair and barely scratch!

TLDR: any ideas which I should get? any other recommendations? I'm not sure if the Fidelio has replaceable pads as that's VERY important to me

I'd try and grab something off of eBay, you can get some really killer deals on nice kit. If you sign up at DYKPost, you can have it shipped to a US address, and the shipping is quite cheap. They then bring the item to their office in Richmond. IIRC there isn't any duty on headphones.

I haven't found even expensive wireless units to match the quality of a decent wired set.

I'd also look into how different pads affect the sound. With some headphones different pads absolutely destroy it.

You'll get some good suggestions here, but some really excellent ones over at Head-Fi.org.

I picked up a pair of new DT 177x Go headphones for about $200 recently.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

21 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I'd try and grab something off of eBay, you can get some really killer deals on nice kit. If you sign up at DYKPost, you can have it shipped to a US address, and the shipping is quite cheap. They then bring the item to their office in Richmond. IIRC there isn't any duty on headphones.

I haven't found even expensive wireless units to match the quality of a decent wired set.

I'd also look into how different pads affect the sound. With some headphones different pads absolutely destroy it.

You'll get some good suggestions here, but some really excellent ones over at Head-Fi.org.

I picked up a pair of new DT 177x Go headphones for about $200 recently.

I understand that this may be Irrational or weird but I am very paranoid about hygiene and have OCD and since my own headphones got ear gunk and some marks on the inner drives from my ears touching them I rather spend the money on a new pair!

I could replace the pads but the inner fabric and the heads trap are hard to replace.

again I understand that there's practically nothing wrong with doing that but with headphones I rather stay away from it.

I can always try asking there too! this sale is gonna end soon tho 😅

Just now, AmyTheBun said:

I understand that this may be Irrational or weird but I am very paranoid about hygiene and have OCD and since my own headphones got ear gunk and some marks on the inner drives from my ears touching them I rather spend the money on a new pair!

I could replace the pads but the inner fabric and the heads trap are hard to replace.

again I understand that there's practically nothing wrong with doing that but with headphones I rather stay away from it

Not everything on eBay is used 😉 Everything I buy for myself is new.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Not everything on eBay is used 😉 Everything I buy for myself is new.

oh are you from Canada too?

i thought ebay is just used stuff! Sorry I'm very new here 😄 do you know about duties etc from ebay?

which one do I get from ebay?

EDIT: They didn't have anything for cheaper. the shp9500 was cheaper the rest were either unavailable or more expensive

11 minutes ago, AmyTheBun said:

oh are you from Canada too?

i thought ebay is just used stuff! Sorry I'm very new here 😄 do you know about duties etc from ebay?

which one do I get from ebay?

EDIT: They didn't have anything for cheaper. the shp9500 was cheaper the rest were either unavailable or more expensive

Aye, I lived in the GVRD most of my life.

No need to apologize!

Depends how you get it. If you use DYK, you pay a brokerage company to fill out the paperwork and you pay the appropriate duty. It's $5/package (I think, it's been a while since I used their service).

If you want to save some money, you can go pick it up in Point Roberts. Then you'd just bring it back across the border, pay the CBSA the tax, and you're good to go. No brokerage or duty. Depending on the price of the item they might not even ask for the tax. Also, going this route, you don't pay tax on the shipping; with DYK you do.

If you focus in on only a few, you might not find a great deal. You generally have to check it out for a week or two and wait for something to pop up, but something always will. You can also look up headphones that cost hundreds more and sometimes they'll go cheap. I got my DTs for about $450 less than what they would have been from Drop.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Headphone Bar also has the Sivga Robin SV021, which might be worth checking out. They're on sale for $169, and they might have demo units available. The also have the HD560S on sale for a touch over your budget.

Actually, if you're willing to grab it either via DYK or getting it from a package receiver across the border, AKG has the K371 on sale for $100 US. It's pretty highly regarded as well.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Aye, I lived in the GVRD most of my life.

No need to apologize!

Depends how you get it. If you use DYK, you pay a brokerage company to fill out the paperwork and you pay the appropriate duty. It's $5/package (I think, it's been a while since I used their service).

If you want to save some money, you can go pick it up in Point Roberts. Then you'd just bring it back across the border, pay the CBSA the tax, and you're good to go. No brokerage or duty. Depending on the price of the item they might not even ask for the tax. Also, going this route, you don't pay tax on the shipping; with DYK you do.

If you focus in on only a few, you might not find a great deal. You generally have to check it out for a week or two and wait for something to pop up, but something always will. You can also look up headphones that cost hundreds more and sometimes they'll go cheap. I got my DTs for about $450 less than what they would have been from Drop.

I'm an international student so I don't have a US visa and I can't cross it. plus no car or anything.

i am ok with waiting more. and damn 450 less?! was it new?!!

do you think a more expensive headphone like 58x is even worth it for me? I could just order the hd 559 right now from amazon.ca and save some money, but if it's really that much different and worth it i rather get the 58x while there's a big sale still

the K371 is sadly closed! so is the other one!

but I could always go there to the store even tho it's time consuming and a big walk!

I heard that the HD 560s will be similar to my hd 518 with barely any difference. is that true?

10 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

The 58X are budget HD600 I’d go with them 

despite the duties? ok!

how much better are they vs HD518 or 599 can the average music lover tell

I had a pair of shp9500 and I would HIGHLY suggest going with the shp9600 if they're available and in budget.  The 9500 was VERY bright and fatiguing with onboard audio, they NEED an external dac/amp to be livable.  I got a schiit fulla and it tamed them into the acceptable realm, while I don't have first hand experience with the 9600 they are supposed to fix the treble problems with the 9500 for a very small increase in price (for USD at least).

I can say that my Sennheiser 6xx is competent with onboard audio but a dream with a good chain behind it.  If the 58x is an easier to drive version like @Imbadatnames says I could easily recommend them.  The 600/650/6xx are very durable and my blind friend used some 599 for a decade, 8-12 hours a day and the only issue was the earpads fell off, which I believe can be replaced.  So if you're looking for quality and durability I can recommend sennheiser in general.  My game one headset lasted for years even being thrown at a wall multiple times and run over by my chair.  Only replaced the wire once but after hitting the wall one to many times the volume wheel got glitchy so they're retired.  Sennheiser is very durable, I'd say on par with beyerdynamics for durability.  Also my first ever high fidelity experience was a pair of sennheisers back in 04' and it gave me the bug.

*edit: oh and I love my X3 though while their build quality is excellent I wouldn't call them a tank (very similar to X2HR)

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

On 7/12/2022 at 9:52 PM, AmyTheBun said:

I'm an international student so I don't have a US visa and I can't cross it. plus no car or anything.

i am ok with waiting more. and damn 450 less?! was it new?!!

do you think a more expensive headphone like 58x is even worth it for me? I could just order the hd 559 right now from amazon.ca and save some money, but if it's really that much different and worth it i rather get the 58x while there's a big sale still

the K371 is sadly closed! so is the other one!

but I could always go there to the store even tho it's time consuming and a big walk!

I heard that the HD 560s will be similar to my hd 518 with barely any difference. is that true?

Yup, brand new in the box.

Hard to say whether you'd see a difference or not. I don't really have any experience with the Sennheiser line, so I can't say. I also don't really like open backed headphones, so I don't know what one is like compared to another.

There's an open box HD560s on eBay right now for $80 USD. No bids.

On 7/13/2022 at 10:23 AM, AmyTheBun said:

despite the duties? ok!

how much better are they vs HD518 or 599 can the average music lover tell

You shouldn't be charged any duty. Just tax, which you'd have to pay anyway.

Always keep in mind that audio is a very subjective hobby, and what one person likes, might not be the same to your ears 😉

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

I can add another suggestion to the list, The Rode NTH-100

I just got mine today and they're built very well and extremely comfortable.  The only build issue I'm aware of is that the ear cups might not accommodate larger ears.

They are neutral for the most part and have a very "full" sound to them, kind of like an energy to them that I've only heard on my DT880-600 hooked up to a speaker amp.  However these are VERY easy to drive at 32ohm and 110db sensitivity.  I've only listened to them for a few hours but for the first time in a few years they've actually got me thinking about selling off some headphones.  They're only $150usd/200cad

I would highly recommend taking a look at them as every review I've seen of them is positive with only minor complaints.  The only common con would be the smaller ear cups and everyone says that the bang for the buck factor is through the roof.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission