Used parts PC needs an upgrade

Budget (including currency): $300 CAD

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ericsartor/saved/H7zZZL

Above is the PC in its current state.  I built this for a friend who had a very low budget entirely out of local used parts.  It is obviously not a perfect build, but lately she has been noticing CPU usage bottlenecking her, especially when trying to stream on Discord with for her friends while gaming/voice chatting.

I feel like the GTX1060 is fine for what she's using it for, but it seems like maybe the CPU is bottlenecking her a bit.  The problem is this motherboard only appears to support 6/7 series Intel CPUs, so I'm thinking I might have to upgrade both the motherboard and the CPU, which is probably out of her budget, even if I try to go the used route again.

Any thoughts/suggestions? To my knowledge, the "bottlenecking" has been apparent since I fresh installed Windows, so I don't THINK it's a software issue, but I suppose it's possible.

7 minutes ago, EricSartor said:

I feel like the GTX1060 is fine for what she's using it for, but it seems like maybe the CPU is bottlenecking her a bit.  The problem is this motherboard only appears to support 6/7 series Intel CPUs, so I'm thinking I might have to upgrade both the motherboard and the CPU, which is probably out of her budget, even if I try to go the used route again.

I think I would agree, the 1060 works fine for Discord and light 1080p gaming.  Although you have the 1060 with 3GB of RAM, when there was also a version available with 6GB (I currently use one).

The complication with changing out the CPU would be the stuff that goes with it.  You would need a slightly better cooler if you go for a newer/higher end CPU.  It would likely need a new motherboard, which may also mean moving to using DDR4 RAM.  Your motherboard says it supports DDR4 but the RAM you list is DDR3.  Maybe adding an additional 8GB of RAM may be a help also.

Your specs also don't include the Power Supply - depending on the wattage, you would need to make sure it could accommodate the newer components.

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700  |  Motherboard: Asus Strix X370-F  |  RAM: Corsair Vengance LPX 32GB
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe White  |  Cooler: Cryorig R1 Universal
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo SSD M.2  -- Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD SATA  --  2x WD Caviar Green 2TB HDD  -- Seagate 4TB HDD SATA -- Seagate 3TB HDD SATA

Display: Dell U2713HM -- Viewsonic - VX2257  |  PSU: Corsair RMi Series RM850i

My Current PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/dvmmLs

Well only options are the i7 6700 or 7700 (normal or K series though you can't overclock on that motherboard) or an new platform. Both will be relatively expensive, used 6th/7th gen i7's are over priced still, full platform upgrade will require new ram as well. 

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x3D |  GPU - RTX 3080 TUF OC | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570 | RAM - Patriot Viper Blackout 32GB 3200MHz | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Corsair MP600 PCIe 4.0  Storage - 2 x 1TB SSD's & 1 500GB SSD | PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold 1000w | Display - ASUS TUF VG27WQ Curved 1440P 165Hz | Cooling - ASUS TUF LC240 AIO + 5 aRGB Fans

1 hour ago, EricSartor said:

Budget (including currency): $300 CAD

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ericsartor/saved/H7zZZL

Above is the PC in its current state.  I built this for a friend who had a very low budget entirely out of local used parts.  It is obviously not a perfect build, but lately she has been noticing CPU usage bottlenecking her, especially when trying to stream on Discord with for her friends while gaming/voice chatting.

Any thoughts/suggestions? To my knowledge, the "bottlenecking" has been apparent since I fresh installed Windows, so I don't THINK it's a software issue, but I suppose it's possible.

If you can do a little over $300 CAD, then I would recommend this.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/BNKkgb

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos