Using TrueNAS as Network Video Recorder

Hello,
Due to recent events, I have decided it's time to upgrade my home security, and I've been looking at POE cameras from Ubiquiti and Lorex. The problem is that both of these systems, the majority of the cost is for a Network Video Recorder (NVR), and I already have a TrueNAS server, that seems like it should be capable of doing exactly the same thing the proprietary NVRs are. Does anyone know if there is a way to just use a POE switch and TrueNAS to replace the NVR?

There is nvr software you can run on the truenas box. Some options include blueiris. Id check the compatibility of the nvr software you want to use as many cameras use proprietary protocols.

34 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

There is nvr software you can run on the truenas box. Some options include blueiris. Id check the compatibility of the nvr software you want to use as many cameras use proprietary protocols.

I mentioned those two cause its the kind of thing I'm looking at, I have not bought any camera's yet. Do you have any recommendations for nvr software and cameras that would work with it? my main requirements are that I can run the live feed from the cameras on my third monitor and can record audio, and some nice to haves would be that it worked with two way audio, although I have my doubts that there is any way to actually get that working.

9 minutes ago, nasabeau79468 said:

I mentioned those two cause its the kind of thing I'm looking at, I have not bought any camera's yet. Do you have any recommendations for nvr software and cameras that would work with it? my main requirements are that I can run the live feed from the cameras on my third monitor and can record audio, and some nice to haves would be that it worked with two way audio, although I have my doubts that there is any way to actually get that working.

Id look at blue iris for software.  Both of those cameras brands should work with blue iris, but mgith need some configuratino of the cameras first.

46 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id look at blue iris for software.  Both of those cameras brands should work with blue iris, but mgith need some configuratino of the cameras first.

the part I'm worried about if having to have the proprietary NVR to configure the cameras, which defeats the point.I'll look into blue iris. any other recs for cameras/software to look into are welcome

Im running ispy from truechart works great.

Personal Rig: i9 12900k|Msi Z690 Edge DDR4|RTX 3090 Zotac Trinity|Tridentz ddr4 32Gx4 4000mhz|Samsung 970 evo plus 1tb x4|mx500 2tb x 4 | AX1600i | X27p & S2721QS | custom watercooled | AX1600i

NAS Server: 7980xe|H150i|Rampage VI Apex|Titan Xp |Tridentz ddr4 32Gx4 4000mhz|Samsung 970 evo plus 1tb x8|AX1600i

Homelab Server: AMD EPYC™ 7282|DARK ROCK PRO TR4|Supermicro H12SSL-i|Titan Xp |Samsung ddr4 8x32G Rdimm|Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB x8|AX1600i

Backup Server: 7920x|EK360 AIO|PRIME X299-A |Tridentz ddr4 16Gx4 3200mhz|Samsung 970 evo plus 500GB x4|THOR II 1000W