32 GB G.Skill 4400 ram.......Gear 1 or Gear 2?

My question is this.  I have 32gb of ram that runs at 4400 in gear 2.  I tried to change it to gear 1 at that speed and fail.  Went into preset speeds and highest gear 1 setting was 4000 mts.  Is it better to run at 4000 in gear 1 or 4400 in gear 2?

Thanks

What CPU, Motherboard, RAM?

Run whichever is stable or supported by your motherboard. Unless you want to go beyond XMP profiles and get into RAM overclocking

If you found my answer to your post helpful, be sure to react or mark it as solution 😄

Depends on games tested and settings used.

If your a LowerDetail eSports gamer, the lower latency gear 1 modes would likely be the way to go.

If your mostly using GPU bound settings or resolutions, they equalise and either would fit the bill.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Depends what you're doing. Gear 2 has the memory controller run at half speed, allowing for much higher memory speeds, but it introduces a lot of memory latency, and since it's higher latency it also lowers the bandwidth. 4400MHz is when it starts to have a bandwidth advantage over Gear 1, so if you have a workload that benefits from memory bandwidth a lot then yeah, go for Gear 2. If you just game, Gear 1 is probably better.

I just use it to game(Mild games, very few AAA titles) and general purpose(mostly just email, youtube, netflix....).  Not a work computer at all.  Would it be worth it to take a 400 Mhz hit in bandwidth, just to get a little quicker response time?