MSI Liquid Cooling GeForce(R) GTX 1080Ti Sea Hawk passive at 70C

PastorCat

I got two of MSI Liquid Cooling GeForce(R) GTX 1080Ti Sea Hawk that i have bought in 2018.

Its one of those that comes with built in water cooling

image.png.fd0b01fb2eebd91851ee9889817d9cfe.png 

Earlier this year I noticed FPS drop and checked temps and it was running hot. It looked like fans were wonky so i replaced them with noctua just to be sure.

Nothing changed. Fans are spinning but GPUs are still hot.

So one of 2 things went wrong. Either liquid isnt circulating at all and needs replacing.

Or thermal paste has gone to shit and isnt working.

When temps reach over 90 the fans that are built into GPU start to kick in and it cools down a bit but then they turn off and temp goes up again.

My question is how likely is it that something went wrong with the aio water cooling and how easy is it to replace. It looks sealed and i didnt see any leakage or anything like that.

Any advise on how to replace water? or maybe there is a way i can check it somehow.

Weird thing is i have 2 of them and they both behave the same way and both went bad at the same time as far as i can tell.

I watched video from tech jesus where he takes apart essentially same card here

And it looks straight forward. I havent taken apart GPUs before but i installed CPUs so it should be straight forward.

Any advice is welcome. Anything i should watch out for or be aware of when im doing this?

You will not be taking apart the AIO to refill it, thats just not happening without breaking it. What id reccomend is find the exact AIO They used for it, sometimes they sold it on their site. You can then try to replace it with a new one, however it has been 5 years since they launched it. It should be a pretty standard 140mm AIO if all else fails, but the problem will be how it mounts. 

Other things you could do : Buy a Aircooler for it such as the Arctic Cooling kit and try your luck there, or one of the MSI 1080ti ones.