Gigabyte AORUS - equivalent to ASUS ROG...?

NGamer

Hello,

Just a quick question...

Was mainly looking at ASUS and MSI for my build - but then came across some very interesting stuff from AORUS...

I assume AORUS is the higher-level branding from Gigabyte - like ROG is for ASUS...?

Are both about the same quality...?

Or is it like everything else - they both make good and bad products...?

Thanks!

They're both just "premium" l33t g4m3rz branding. That branding means nothing about the quality of the product. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Yep, AORUS is Gigabyte's edgy gamer branding. They're generally on par with other brands' equivalently priced SKUs.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

1 minute ago, NGamer said:

I assume AORUS is the higher-level branding from Gigabyte - like ROG is for ASUS...?

Not exactly. Aorus is more or less just their gaming brand, there are low end Aorus boards and there are high end Aorus boards. ROG is kinda the same way, but they tend to focus on the high end offering with very few low end ROG boards, while there are quite a few different low end Aorus boards (B550M Aorus Pro-P, for example). 

4 minutes ago, NGamer said:

Or is it like everything else - they both make good and bad products...?

There there are good and bad. It's the same way with ROG, the Maximus Z690 Apex is top two motherboards on Z690 (it's debatable whether the Dark or Apex is the better board) while the Rampage VI Apex was terrible (VRM had the tendency to just blow up), and the ROG Strix B450-F was just a mediocre board overall. Aorus is the same way, there are some awesome boards like the Z690 Tachyon and X570 Xtreme, and there are some pretty mediocre ones as well like their entire B450 lineup. 

Well, yeah, I agree, comparing actual products would probably be better...

But, maybe it is just a sign of the times, but...

After looking around the Internet and YouTube - it appears that Gigabyte/AORUS had a serious problem with some of their power supplies in the last few years - and their response to the problem was not very good...

And it appears that Gigabyte just all of a sudden pulled their US forum off the Web back in May - with no official word, nothing.

Gigabyte consumers were going to the forum with questions/problems - and it was just gone.

Doesn't exactly instill confidence! :)