PC upgrade for friend.

So I have a full 3600/GTX 1080 machine just lying around doing nothing, And thought that I might lend it to him friend for while so He can finally retire he athlong rig

However, I the only part I *do not* have is the storage, but he does. A full windows 10 install and what not.

So the question is, with Windows basically being able to recognise all of the data on a drive, Can he just migrate everything over *if* all proprietary drivers are uninstalled on his current rig? Such to the degree that no data is lost at all? Even game data? I haven't done a full migration like this before

Yeah, windows 10 is really good at that, just make sure that it is not win 10 1809 or some ancient version like that.

You could also do it "Ship of Theseus style", swapping one part at a time, if you want to be extra sure.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

3 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Yeah, windows 10 is really good at that, just make sure that it is not win 10 1809 or some ancient version like that.

You could also do it "Ship of Theseus style", swapping one part at a time, if you want to be extra sure.

Nah this is a temporary loan sort of deal, thanks for the idea though.

42 minutes ago, Nexblitzer said:

Nah this is a temporary loan sort of deal, thanks for the idea though.

If it is temporary, you could still do it, make sure that he has a full windows licence instead of OEM beforehand tho.

And just chuck his drive into the system and see what happens, most probably it will boot loop a few times while it gets new drivers, installs and restarts, might take a few minutes, and after that should work fine. You can ofcourse deinstall existing drivers beforehand if you want to.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.