Help! Nvidia Control panel not showing monitors.

Camouflaged777

Okay. So I've already spoke with nvidia, they've gotten me to do the DDU and update the driver. No luck. I have one monitor hooked up to the HDMI port and one monitor hooked up via a USB to hdmi. In the control panel, it only shows the one directly connected to the HDMI port. Not my Laptop screen or the other monitor. But when i look at display settings for windows, it has no problem picking all 3 up and extending the screens.. but i need it all combined into one screen with the nvidia control panel......Yes ive already switched the preffered graphics processor to high performance NVIDIA processor.  No luck ........This has been such a headache considering on AMDs eyeighty, had it working in less then 2 minutes. I've been reading all over and I can't find a fix. Can anyone please help?

21 minutes ago, Camouflaged777 said:

one monitor hooked up via a USB to hdmi. 

Can you give some detail here? If this is a DisplayLink USB video adapter, its not going to show up in NVCP, its not controlled by your GPU.

15 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Can you give some detail here? If this is a DisplayLink USB video adapter, its not going to show up in NVCP, its not controlled by your GPU.

No problem. It is not, it is a standard USB to HDMI Adapter. Again it has no problem registering on the laptop in the display settings but when I try to use the Nvidia control panel, it only shows the one hdmi.

5 hours ago, Glenwing said:

NVIDIA control panel only shows monitors connected to an NVIDIA GPU.

I've read some things like that. But still don't fully understand. 1. So why doesn't it show the Laptop Screen? 2. Why does AMD have no problem with the eyephinity? And 3. How do I go about fixing this problem. This is a bit ridiculous coming from a company like Nvidia. I've poured money into this and it can't even handle doing 3 screens unless there somehow all connected to their GPU??? Makes no sense when the 3 screens show up when connected to my laptop in the display section/windows settings on the same damn laptop that's running the Nvidia.

4 hours ago, Glenwing said:

NVIDIA control panel only shows monitors connected to an NVIDIA GPU.

Pls don't tell me I'm screwed lol. The only reason I bought this 100 dollar damn adapter was so I could use two screens and make them one for my gaming laptop. But I've already switched my preferred graphics processor to Nvidia. & that's the ONLY solution I've been seeing people mention for my problem and it hasn't fixed anything. 🙃 

Just now, Camouflaged777 said:

Pls don't tell me I'm screwed lol. The only reason I bought this 100 dollar damn adapter was so I could use two screens and make them one for my gaming laptop. But I've already switched my preferred graphics processor to Nvidia. & that's the ONLY solution I've been seeing people mention for my problem and it hasn't fixed anything. 🙃  never buying a Nvidia product again in my life time.

42 minutes ago, Camouflaged777 said:

No problem. It is not, it is a standard USB to HDMI Adapter. Again it has no problem registering on the laptop in the display settings but when I try to use the Nvidia control panel, it only shows the one hdmi.

The adapter should have been $15, can you link what you bought?

19 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

The adapter should have been $15, can you link what you bought?

I live in Canada. If you are going off USD pricing it is waaaay more expensive.also you might be looking at USB c adapters which tend to be cheaper. This is a USB A- to HDMI - https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/j5create-usb-3-0-to-4k-hdmi-adapter-jua354/12469043?cmp=seo-12469043&cmp=knc-s-71700000065512360&gclid=CjwKCAjwwo-WBhAMEiwAV4dybZfmv_wwY4Gv2y75ySq_NxsQ_grZ8qvME6Mz927n7FinNS-e_O1vyBoCkkEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

2 minutes ago, Camouflaged777 said:

I live in Canada. If you are going off USD pricing it is waaaay more expensive.also you might be looking at USB c adapters which tend to be cheaper. This is a USB A- to HDMI - https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/j5create-usb-3-0-to-4k-hdmi-adapter-jua354/12469043?cmp=seo-12469043&cmp=knc-s-71700000065512360&gclid=CjwKCAjwwo-WBhAMEiwAV4dybZfmv_wwY4Gv2y75ySq_NxsQ_grZ8qvME6Mz927n7FinNS-e_O1vyBoCkkEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

That's essentially a basic external video card, its not connected to your Nvidia GPU, and that's why it was so expensive. Likely uses something similar to a DisplayLink chip like what I suggested above. 

With it connected, open Device Manager and expand Display adapters and link a screenshot.

4 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

That's essentially a basic external video card, its not connected to your Nvidia GPU, and that's why it was so expensive. Likely uses something similar to a DisplayLink chip like what I suggested above. 

With it connected, open Device Manager and expand Display adapters and link a screenshot.

That's ridiculous if so. I was told this was better then a splitter because it actually made the two monitors their own, with the laptop screen. So i figured I'd have no problem with them showing up in the Nvidia control panel to simply set them all as one like I can easily do on my AMD run computer.

16570492002666814764723475876572.jpg

Yeah, that's exactly what that is. If you have a Type C port, that may tie directly into the onboard GPU but that adapter is essentially its own external graphics card. 

5 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Yeah, that's exactly what that is. If you have a Type C port, that may tie directly into the onboard GPU but that adapter is essentially its own external graphics card. 

For f sakes. I do not have any USB c ports. Only USB A, that's why I got this adapter. I appreciate you identifying and clarifying that for me though. My laptop is a HP Pavillion Gaming laptop if that's easier to look at the ports it has. Also so then why isn't Nvidia picking up the laptop screen either? 

Lastly is there ANY solution to get the monitors to work as one and show up in Nvidia control panel, like a different adapter or anything or I'm I basically screwed to one monitor for my gaming laptop because it only has one HDMI port? 

I have my older computer that runs AMD software and has one HDMI port and a VGA port. I have one monitor hooked up via The HDMI port and one hooked up through a vga- HMDI adapter with no issues. I use eyephinity and it has no problem setting up the two monitors as one big one.. is there a different adapter or anything I can to make these two monitors register on my gaming laptop in the Nvidia control panel? Because like I mentioned with that adapter I sent you above^, it has no problem extended the screens through the laptop in the windows display settings. But to make them all one, I need them to show up in the Nvidia control panel. This is such a headache lol.

2 hours ago, Camouflaged777 said:

Also so then why isn't Nvidia picking up the laptop screen either? 

Likely because the HDMI port is connected directly to the iGPU, not the Nvidia gpu. Someone else can probably answer that better. 

Lastly is there ANY solution to get the monitors to work as one and show up in Nvidia control panel, like a different adapter or anything or I'm I basically screwed to one monitor for my gaming laptop because it only has one HDMI port? 

If you only have a single HDMI output, yeah you're not getting any other monitors connected natively. Not without external devices like that adapter you already bought.

I have my older computer that runs AMD software and has one HDMI port and a VGA port. I have one monitor hooked up via The HDMI port and one hooked up through a vga- HMDI adapter with no issues. I use eyephinity and it has no problem setting up the two monitors as one big one.. is there a different adapter or anything I can to make these two monitors register on my gaming laptop in the Nvidia control panel? Because like I mentioned with that adapter I sent you above^, it has no problem extended the screens through the laptop in the windows display settings. But to make them all one, I need them to show up in the Nvidia control panel. This is such a headache lol.

Again if you only have a single video out, you're only going to be able to use a single external display. Then this goes back to  what I said earlier about the HDMI port being directly connected to your iGPU. Nvidia Surround if that was the ultimate goal likely isn't happening on this laptop.