Mutli-use server

Hello!

I'm currently thinking about building a NAS at home for my family to use (with TrueNAS), and I was starting to wonder maybe ifI could use it for something else? My plan was to create a working NAS with a six-core CPU, two HDD's in Raid 1, a small cache drive, 16 gigs of RAM in a small enclosure for my family's storage needs. I've also been wanting to create a Minecraft server for me and my friends to play on, and I thought of the possbility of running it on the same system. Just wanted to hear advice on the subject whether it would be possible or not, and if it is, what steps I should make to configure them both properly. (P.S the MC server would only have about 4-6 players online at any given time and the NAS is a storage solution only; I'm not editing off it or anything we just need something to keep stuff safe. Would love to hear your advice

Eliahason

It's certainly possible, but you will want more RAM in the system. Minecraft server loves RAM even more than Chrome.

You will also have to forward the Minecraft server ports to the server machine if you want it to be accessible outside your network. (Or set all your friends up with a VPN back into your network.) Their experience will also depend on how good your Internet connection's upload speed is. You might be better off renting a server from a host, or running it on a free cloud server from AWS or Oracle.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.