Days wasted on installing Windows (any of them) on an older machine

DANK_AS_gay
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
1 minute ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

But why did windows 10 go to the blinking cursor? I'm downloading windows 7 rn from Internet Archive, as I can't find anywhere else that doesn't look like I'll unleash the next global pandemic but for computers if I hit a single "download" button.

Cause Winblows 10 is too new. Lol. 

Vista or W7. XP just doesn't have enough without service pack 3.

Basically, I have been fighting my stupid Core 2 Duo/GTX 460 build trying to get anything else besides Linux Mint to work. Specifically because the drivers for the ethernet controller are not supported, and I can't download them without internet... I have tried manually messing with the disk that has Linux Mint on it, and the 240GB drive shows up as 512mb, and completely empty. I have tried Rufus, with an official Windows 10 ISO flashed to my 16GB USB drive, but that failed. BIOS setting changes fail. (they save, I replaced the CMOS battery). I am at a loss. I have a Windows XP machine (the one I am typing to you on) that I can use for this. Nothing else newer. Yes, I know that connecting a Windows XP computer to the internet isn't safe. No, I don't click the "free iPhone" offers.

Anywho, Motherboard GA EP35 DS3L

use the machine you're currently using to download the network driver for that machine on whichever version of windows you want then transfer it after windows is installed

1 hour ago, emosun said:

use the machine you're currently using to download the network driver for that machine on whichever version of windows you want then transfer it after windows is installed

I can't get windows installed in the first place. That's what I need help with

18 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

I have tried Rufus, with an official Windows 10 ISO flashed to my 16GB USB drive, but that failed.

What actually failed?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 hour ago, xAcid9 said:

What actually failed?

The booting on the computer I'm trying to install it on. The flash worked as far as I can tell. It even flashes the windows splash screen with the 4 blue squares and the black background for a split second before going to a black screen with a flashing cursor. (the old school type prompt flashing line sort of cursor, not the mouse kind)

Use W7 instead. It will probably have all the drivers for the board.

Me refreshing on a machine from 2003 with a Pentium M 2.26 Ghz that's running at 1.7 Ghz because the old CPU was 1.7 Ghz and apparently being socketable =\= upgradeable

1 hour ago, Guest 5150 said:

Use W7 instead. It will probably have all the drivers for the board.

But why did windows 10 go to the blinking cursor? I'm downloading windows 7 rn from Internet Archive, as I can't find anywhere else that doesn't look like I'll unleash the next global pandemic but for computers if I hit a single "download" button.

1 minute ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Hmm, I am using 2 machines. 1 is the one that isn't working that I am trying to get Windows 10 on. I have put Windows 10 on a machine with similar specs (q6600, gtx 460) with no issues.(DELL Precision T3400) The 2003 machine I am not even gonna upgrade to Vista. It won't be worth it. Not even with the ATI PRO 9600 MOBILITY TURBO (actual name lol) that only got drivers for less than a year from DELL, and official ati 9600 drivers don't work! I love DELL so much for supporting a product for only 9 months!

Also, have any idea why my Pentium M 780 is running at 1.7 Ghz? According to HWInfo, 3dMark 2000, Windows XP, etc. My 2.26 Ghz processor is running at 1.7 Ghz, and although it was 9$, It is still frustrating that the system recognizes it and boots correctly, but the FSB won't clock correctly.

36 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Also, have any idea why my Pentium M 780 is running at 1.7 Ghz? According to HWInfo, 3dMark 2000, Windows XP, etc. My 2.26 Ghz processor is running at 1.7 Ghz, and although it was 9$, It is still frustrating that the system recognizes it and boots correctly, but the FSB won't clock correctly.

I'd have to see some cpu-z screen shots.

38 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Wait NVM. The 780M is a BGA chip. Your's is not a BGA chip. Probably a Pentium M 1.7ghz. 

CpuWorld link. Do the part numbers match the chip? https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_M/Intel-Pentium M 1.7 GHz RH80535GC0291M (BXM80535GC1700E).html

Wait NVM. The 780M is a BGA chip. Your's is not a BGA chip. Probably a Pentium M 1.7ghz. 

CpuWorld link. Do the part numbers match the chip? https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_M/Intel-Pentium M 1.7 GHz RH80535GC0291M (BXM80535GC1700E).html

the 1.7 is on the Banias Architecture. The 780 is Dothan. Banias has a 100 mhz FSB. Dorian has a 133 mhz FSB.

I upgraded from a 1.7GHz CPU to the 2.26Ghz one. Given that the FSB is different for the different architectures, it makes sense that it would run slower.

I've found a pin mod that OCs the FSB of the processor, using a bit of wire.

Turns out that what I have learned in the past year has made my searches far more fruitful. Thanks for the help!

CPU-Z confirms it, I have the 780, and it is installed, but due to the differing Architectures and FSB ratios, it is clocking lower than it should be.

RETROIDS.txt

3 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

the 1.7 is on the Banias Architecture. The 780 is Dothan. Banias has a 100 mhz FSB. Dorian has a 133 mhz FSB.

I upgraded from a 1.7GHz CPU to the 2.26Ghz one. Given that the FSB is different for the different architectures, it makes sense that it would run slower.

I've found a pin mod that OCs the FSB of the processor, using a bit of wire.

Turns out that what I have learned in the past year has made my searches far more fruitful. Thanks for the help!

CPU-Z confirms it, I have the 780, and it is installed, but due to the differing Architectures and FSB ratios, it is clocking lower than it should be.

RETROIDS.txt 34.26 kB · 0 downloads

Yea, should be running 533mhz so 2267mhz cpu frequency. 

Should be this one right?

https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_M/Intel-Pentium M 780 RH80536GE0512M (BX80536GE2266FJ).html

11 hours ago, Guest 5150 said:

Yea, should be running 533mhz so 2267mhz cpu frequency. 

Should be this one right?

https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_M/Intel-Pentium M 780 RH80536GE0512M (BX80536GE2266FJ).html

Yeah, I tried the pin mod, but because I don't have any wire small enough to bridge the pins and not bend them when I try to socket the CPU, It just refuses to turn on. I took it out and it worked just fine, so I didn't break anything, but I think I have to pull out the soldering iron if I want this to work.

On 7/3/2022 at 10:37 PM, Guest 5150 said:

Ok, everything is installed, except the LAN driver. There is no option to enable/disable LAN in the BIOS, but when I try to install the driver, it says that now LAN device exists on my computer, despite it existing. I am at a loss.

2 hours ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Ok, everything is installed, except the LAN driver. There is no option to enable/disable LAN in the BIOS, but when I try to install the driver, it says that now LAN device exists on my computer, despite it existing. I am at a loss.

Which W7 did you install? Try now updating the service packs.

18 hours ago, Guest 5150 said:

Which W7 did you install? Try now updating the service packs.

It's Service Pack 1