AB350M-D3H good enough for 5600x?

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,

If it works with a 2700X the 5600X will be a cake walk. The 2700X is more power hungry than the 5800X for reference.

I have a Gigabyte B350 motherboard with the latest 5000-ready BIOS. Will its VRMs etc be able to handle the 5600G? I know it’s not a super hungry CPU but I wanted to make sure. It’s a build I’m giving away to a friend. I know the mobo isn’t ideal but it’s what I had, found it in ewaste recycling in perfect condition and it works stably with a 2700x under stress tests etc. I’ve tested it extensively with that 2700x, I think it was just tossed when someone upgraded not because of any physical problems.

As mentioned above, if it works well with a 2700X, a 5600X will work fine. 2 less cores so less demand on the VRM's. If you were upgrading to something with more cores than the 2700X then you should be concerned.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

16 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If it works with a 2700X the 5600X will be a cake walk. The 2700X is more power hungry than the 5800X for reference.

Nice, thanks! I thought so but I just wanted to make sure lol, I’d heard 5000 series was power-hungry but I guess that’s just the upper-end chips.

4 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

Nice, thanks! I thought so but I just wanted to make sure lol, I’d heard 5000 series was power-hungry but I guess that’s just the upper-end chips.

Yeah, it's just the 12 and 16 core chips that are kinda power hungry. My 5900X will pull back 200W+ if I lock the frequency. The 5600X and 5800X will stop somewhere around the 100W mark (about where they become uncoolable), both of which should be OK on that board. 

2 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Yeah, it's just the 12 and 16 core chips that are kinda power hungry. My 5900X will pull back 200W+ if I lock the frequency. The 5600X and 5800X will stop somewhere around the 100W mark (about where they become uncoolable), both of which should be OK on that board. 

nice- I have a 12700KF as my main chip and it is SUPER power-hungry, and in stress test hangs in the high 90s with a U12A (it’s overclocked to 5.0GHz). Obviously apples to oranges as it’s Intel rather than AMD, but still.

I would put my D15 on it but it might not fit in the orientation it needs to go in (vertical, since it’s in the SL600M with a vertical Noctua 3070) and I only game on it so the U12A is perfectly adequate. I will definitely try undervolting it though.

2 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

nice- yeah I have a 12700KF as my main chip and it is SUPER power-hungry, and in stress test hangs in the high 90s with a U12A (it’s overclocked to 5.0GHz) 

I would put my D15 on it but it might not fit in the orientation it needs to go in (vertical, since it’s in the SL600M with a vertical Noctua 3070)

I'd try to fit the D15 on the 12700KF, if it's the case I think that I think that is it should fit no problem, and the D15 is a much better cooler than the U12A. 

I have a couple friends with 12th gen systems, they're really nice (at stock the friend with my 12700K currently beats my 5900X in basically everything). I'd really want to mess around with them personally, they do look interesting to overclock, but I'm more waiting for one of the B660 boards with BCLK and DDR4 support before trying to get it and mess with them. 

20 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I'd try to fit the D15 on the 12700KF, if it's the case I think that I think that is it should fit no problem, and the D15 is a much better cooler than the U12A. 

I have a couple friends with 12th gen systems, they're really nice (at stock the friend with my 12700K currently beats my 5900X in basically everything). I'd really want to mess around with them personally, they do look interesting to overclock, but I'm more waiting for one of the B660 boards with BCLK and DDR4 support before trying to get it and mess with them. 

The problem is more GPU clearance: it’s mounted with a top-to-bottom airflow orientation because intake is at the bottom and exhaust at the top. Because of that I don’t think it’ll fit right with the vertical GPU. I haven’t tested it but eyeballing it, it’s EXTREMELY tight and likely a waste of effort. If I ever need more extreme performance (highly unlikely, although maybe in 10 years I’ll need to push it further to keep up with modern games) I’ll go ahead and install a custom water loop or an Arctic Freezer II/Galahad 360.

If you’re looking for a mobo, try the z690 UD DDR4- it’s a really, really cheap z690 board from Gigabyte (cheaper than many B660 boards). I have the z690 Aero G DDR4 myself, along with 32GB Ballistix Max DDR4-4000 CL18, and like it a lot, but I’ve heard as far as cheap boards go the UD is decent.

3 hours ago, NF-A12x25 said:

The problem is more GPU clearance: it’s mounted with a top-to-bottom airflow orientation because intake is at the bottom and exhaust at the top. Because of that I don’t think it’ll fit right with the vertical GPU. I haven’t tested it but eyeballing it, it’s EXTREMELY tight and likely a waste of effort. If I ever need more extreme performance (highly unlikely, although maybe in 10 years I’ll need to push it further to keep up with modern games) I’ll go ahead and install a custom water loop or an Arctic Freezer II/Galahad 360.

If you’re looking for a mobo, try the z690 UD DDR4- it’s a really, really cheap z690 board from Gigabyte (cheaper than many B660 boards). I have the z690 Aero G DDR4 myself, along with 32GB Ballistix Max DDR4-4000 CL18, and like it a lot, but I’ve heard as far as cheap boards go the UD is decent.

I'm more waiting for the B660M Mortar MAX to come out. The thing with that board is that it allows for overclocking of non-K CPUs like the 12400F through the use of BCLK adjustments (the same way you used to overclock X58 if you were around for that), and will still be about the same price as the UD. I am aware I could go 12600K and a UD for real cheap, but a 12400F overclocked to 5.2GHz sounds really enticing. 

2 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I'm more waiting for the B660M Mortar MAX to come out. The thing with that board is that it allows for overclocking of non-K CPUs like the 12400F through the use of BCLK adjustments (the same way you used to overclock X58 if you were around for that), and will still be about the same price as the UD. I am aware I could go 12600K and a UD for real cheap, but a 12400F overclocked to 5.2GHz sounds really enticing. 

ah, good idea!