USB-C/Thunderbolt Ethernet adaptor keeps disconnecting

raff_u

Hello everyone,

After months of reinstalling and troubleshooting the living hell out of my USB to ethernet adapters, I've come to the conclusion that they are just garbage. 
For a bit of context, I'm trying to setup a dual pc streaming setup, utilizing my tower as the gaming pc and a 2019 razer blade 15 as the streaming pc. This is all done through NDI over my LAN and when it works, it works perfectly fine for what I need.

I have a Juiced Bizhub USB C hub to which I only have ethernet cable plugged in. (Model is https://juicedsystems.com/collections/usb-c-adapters/products/bizhub-pro-usb-c-multiport-professional-adapter).
The issue comes whenever I put heavy load (in this case, sending over the gaming pc signal over the LAN NDI) on the ethernet connection to the laptop, the laptop simply stops recognizing the ethernet port and disconnects and connects back randomly, sometimes needing to be unplugged and plugged back in in order to work. This wouldn't be that bad of an issue, since I can just unplug and plug back in with no issues, but It sometimes outright refuses to connect to ethernet and sometimes it throttles down my connection to 100mbps (checked through windows network and sharing center). 

Now, 100mbps is not terrible for a LAN connection and I would be perfectly fine with it, but another issue comes around when the adapter slows down to 100mbps. I get +400 ping on any online game I'm playing as I'm guessing the NDI signal saturates the LAN connection and does not let me connect properly to whatever game's server I'm playing in. 

For the troubleshooting I've done, I've tried changing some properties in the device manager window, I've changed speed duplex to allow only 1gbps dual, and tried all of the settings in the "full speed and duplex" to no avail, still getting random disconnects under heavy load. 

• I have also changed the power saver and power profile setting in device properties in order to not power off under heavy load, still get random disconnects.
  • I have tried reinstalling windows 10, still get random disconnects.
  • Upgraded to windows 11, problem persisted, so I reinstalled w11, problem persists. 
  • I tried installing drivers from different reddit threads and online threads, problem still persists. 
  • At this point I thought It might be some other hardware issue, so I swapped the cables and ports in my ethernet switch for my gaming pc and streaming laptop, as expected the gaming pc mantained a stable 1gbps connection while the laptop kept dropping the connection.
  • Also, to top it off, thought It might just be the adapter itself, so I bought another adapter (https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Network-Ethernet-Supports-Nintendo/dp/B00MYTSN18/ref=sr_1_5?crid=8QPY9W1R3HZE&keywords=switch+ethernet+adapter&qid=1656640363&sprefix=switch+ethernet+adapte%2Caps%2C205&sr=8-5) only for the exact same issues to be replicated accross the board. 

After months of troubleshooting, I'm very close to giving up and simply single streaming PC, which I know is not terrible, but I'd like to utilize my second pc that I'm barely using now at least for something, as I will be using it in the future for Uni, so selling is not an option either. 

Does anyone know of ANY reliable USB or Thunderbolt adapter that can mantain at least a 1gbps connection under heavy load? or any way to fix my current issue with my ethernet adapters?

Sorry for the long writeup, I'm just extremely frustrated and finally decided to write up this post.

Thank you for your time.

--

Raff

@raff_uI've not had any problems with the 2.5Gbit and 5Gbit adapters out there which are based on Realtek or Aquantia/Marvell.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7