Overkill Airflow ?

Elajitz
Go to solution Solved by OhioYJ,
5 hours ago, Elajitz said:

Can i use two of this fans in one header on my mobo

Using Noctua y-Split NA-YC1

Two of those yes. Generally two fans is fine. Most, and I use the word most carefully, motherboard headers will handle up to 1 amp. So generally two fans are safe. I have two of those Chromax 140s on every header on my Z690 board in my gaming machine.  

I would NOT put two of those industrial Noctua fans on a header together, I believe those are rated a little over 0.5 amp each. That might be asking a bit much of your motherboard. 

13 minutes ago, Elajitz said:

but i think i will getting use to it after some time its just the spin up of the fans at boot that scared the shit out of me

If it's just during boot, then that's fine. But if the noise settles down soon after then it's ok yeah?

Anyway, for IDLE/light PC use you could also turn down the PWM via your fan curves, as they may maintain the same temps at lower RPM.

I assume your fans are as follows:

• CPU Pull fan = 811RPM
  • CPU Push = Chassis #2 = 777RPM?

^ Try & have these matched btw - may be better for noise & airflow through the heatsink

• Front Upper fan = Chassis #3 = 1470RPM?
  • Front Lower fan = Chassis #4 = 1503RPM?

^ You could try tweaking this to lower noise at IDLE/Light use. Maybe run them at 1000RPM & check temps, but keep the same curve after say 55-60 degrees as you have now, so LOAD temps are kept in check.

• Rear fan = Chassis #1 = 1595RPM?

^ Again, for IDLE/light use, you could try to reduce this fan curve PWM similar to the front fans.

Having a better case with good airflow allows you to do the above with more confidence, as you'll get a more efficient use of air flowing through it at the lower RPMs, so it may not work as well for you...or maybe it will! - It's more to make IDLE/light use more bearable, noise-wise.

??That's 5 fans, but you have 6 in total? - where's the Top-Rear fan in HWMonitor??

11 hours ago, Elajitz said:

yea max load temp i have seen atm is 55/56 c  but mostly it jumps up and down! everything at stock and an ambient temprature of 26

at every restart or boot my new fans spinning up like hell and then they settle

is that normal?

Anytime you monitor and watch temps you'll see it do that, numbers jumping up and down like a herd of wired rabbits on a bad trip or something.

What you do want to watch for is the range in which they jump - That will tell you alot about it. It's not unusual at all to see temps jump from 30c to 60c+ when you place it under load but if it's jumping from 30c all the way up to 85c or more AND it's staying there, you've got a problem.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

4 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

It's not unusual at all to see temps jump from 30c to 60c+ when you place it under load

I’ve noticed my CPU jump from low 30s to mid/high 50s, just from using YouTube or Twitter in the Chrome browser. I can make it jump by hovering over videos in YouTube & previewing them. Without fail, CPU use goes to 15%+, yet when clicking the video & playing it in full resolution (1440p), CPU use isn't as high..

Not sure if it’s the Browser or Apps causing this, but it started doing it recently. 

My 5900X runs like an Intel CPU, no spikes, nothing crazy.. maybe your TIM is a bit thin?

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

26 minutes ago, freeagent said:

My 5900X runs like an Intel CPU, no spikes, nothing crazy.. maybe your TIM is a bit thin?

"like an Intel" my intel spikes from 60 to 90 XD 

36 minutes ago, NorKris said:

"like an Intel" my intel spikes from 60 to 90 XD 

You gotta quit using those AIO's 😄

33 minutes ago, freeagent said:

You gotta quit using those AIO's 😄

them jokes! xD

7940x 4.6ghz custom cooling with 2x 360 rads 😛 

19 hours ago, Ralfi said:

If it's just during boot, then that's fine. But if the noise settles down soon after then it's ok yeah?

Anyway, for IDLE/light PC use you could also turn down the PWM via your fan curves, as they may maintain the same temps at lower RPM.

I assume your fans are as follows:

• CPU Pull fan = 811RPM
  • CPU Push = Chassis #2 = 777RPM?

^ Try & have these matched btw - may be better for noise & airflow through the heatsink

• Front Upper fan = Chassis #3 = 1470RPM?
  • Front Lower fan = Chassis #4 = 1503RPM?

^ You could try tweaking this to lower noise at IDLE/Light use. Maybe run them at 1000RPM & check temps, but keep the same curve after say 55-60 degrees as you have now, so LOAD temps are kept in check.

• Rear fan = Chassis #1 = 1595RPM?

^ Again, for IDLE/light use, you could try to reduce this fan curve PWM similar to the front fans.

Having a better case with good airflow allows you to do the above with more confidence, as you'll get a more efficient use of air flowing through it at the lower RPMs, so it may not work as well for you...or maybe it will! - It's more to make IDLE/light use more bearable, noise-wise.

??That's 5 fans, but you have 6 in total? - where's the Top-Rear fan in HWMonitor??

okay this is the setup!

image.png.52e37efc559fa0760bacbd39deefcc81.png

the fan six, the side intake is missing because i haven't any more  free fan header for my mobo a Asus x99A,

it only has 5 headers including CPU / CPU-OPT.

the fan i have as a side intake  it's a Noctua NF-A14 Chromax black swap but it's not running atm,

So is it safe to use a Y-splitter cable that came whit the NF-F12 fans i got for my CPU to use? 

Like 2 Noctua NF-A14 Chromax in one header whit that  y split ? or will i burn the fan header?

I do have 2 NF-F12 in Y.Split from my CPU fan header for my push pull on cpu!

Cant find any info on the net! 😕

image.png.5a970fc0a3bf545aeefd5a63a45e5c47.png

15 hours ago, Ralfi said:

I’ve noticed my CPU jump from low 30s to mid/high 50s, just from using YouTube or Twitter in the Chrome browser. I can make it jump by hovering over videos in YouTube & previewing them. Without fail, CPU use goes to 15%+, yet when clicking the video & playing it in full resolution (1440p), CPU use isn't as high..

Not sure if it’s the Browser or Apps causing this, but it started doing it recently. 

mindcraft will freeze my pc lag and even stop videos playing and the sound stops for a 3 seconds... at first your thinking well that could be the hdd disc spinning up but i use an ssd... 

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

5 hours ago, Elajitz said:

Two of those yes. Generally two fans is fine. Most, and I use the word most carefully, motherboard headers will handle up to 1 amp. So generally two fans are safe. I have two of those Chromax 140s on every header on my Z690 board in my gaming machine.  

I would NOT put two of those industrial Noctua fans on a header together, I believe those are rated a little over 0.5 amp each. That might be asking a bit much of your motherboard. 

13 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

Okay! 🙂  do you think my Asus X99A will handle 1 amp on the headers?

it's a pretty Old Mobo 😛

No the Industrial 3000RPM ones have there own slot 🙂

Just now, Elajitz said:

Okay! 🙂  do you think my Asus X99A will handle 1 amp on the headers?

it's a pretty Old Mobo 😛

No the Industrial 3000RPM ones have there own slot 🙂

That two fans per header "rule" goes back a very long way. I've been doing that for a very long time (My PCs still had floppy drives kind of long time). Your X99A is "modern enough", that I would hook two of those chromax fans to one header. It's only 0.26 amp on a header. Just one of your industrial fans is drawing more than that.

Every now and then you'll find a manual that specifies a limit on those headers. I know a very long time ago I called Gigabyte, and asked for one of my motherboards. They wouldn't give me a specific limit, but when I told them which motherboard I had, and the current I wanted to draw, they said no problems.

I use the two fan rule as a general rule of thumb. I would not try and necessarily approach the 1 amp limit (especially as we have nothing that says that is the limit). No reason to try and "fly to close to the sun".

I run my 4x iPPC 3K fans from a Molex powered hub, Works good.. I have them all as case fans atm.

On 7/1/2022 at 11:09 PM, Elajitz said:

My Mobo Asus X99A

image.png.93fbb945a66b8feaa33e25a1e2ec39ab.png

Your manual on this page mentions a max of 1A for the CPU_FAN header. Look through other pages to hopefully confirm max limits for your other headers. I’d assume they’re also 1A as mentioned by others here, but your manual should have it somewhere.

Okay thx to you all for helping me getting some where with my Fan and temp issues here at LT! 🙂

I have hooked the other Chromax 140 whit a Y-split so this is the results 🙂

Thx again! 🙂 ❤️

image.png.d7e9415b1d57845177fb9c88c32d624c.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2022 at 12:36 AM, freeagent said:

I run my 4x iPPC 3K fans from a Molex powered hub, Works good.. I have them all as case fans atm.

You were so eager to ask the question "if I could" that you forgot to ask "whether I should"

4x iPPC at 2500+ RPM each. My ears bleed at the thought of it

1 hour ago, aliasdred said:

You were so eager to ask the question "if I could" that you forgot to ask "whether I should"

Nope, I have been running high performance fans since 2006. My pc sits 9 feet from me. You can also limit speeds, set curves.. do whatever you want..

On 6/30/2022 at 11:18 PM, tkitch said:

If you want to murder your wallet getting Noctua is a good way to do it.

If you want good fans that don't cost 30$ each, Arctic P14 PWMs are nearly as good for 1/4th the price.  Buy a 5 pack.

Anyways, the side panel probably should be intake, not exhaust.

Actually Arctic p14:s are better for 1/5th of the price. A14 is just horribly outdated and they need to drop it near 10$ soon if they want to keep the brand as something worth the extra. You cant sell premium priced stuff that performs worse than much cheaper ones and expect diy-pc customers to not notice.