Overkill Airflow ?

Elajitz
Go to solution Solved by OhioYJ,
5 hours ago, Elajitz said:

Can i use two of this fans in one header on my mobo

Using Noctua y-Split NA-YC1

Two of those yes. Generally two fans is fine. Most, and I use the word most carefully, motherboard headers will handle up to 1 amp. So generally two fans are safe. I have two of those Chromax 140s on every header on my Z690 board in my gaming machine.  

I would NOT put two of those industrial Noctua fans on a header together, I believe those are rated a little over 0.5 amp each. That might be asking a bit much of your motherboard. 

Hello again 😄

I using a Fractal Design R5 Case Define R5

whit Dynamic GP-14 Fans Fractal Design Dynamic GP-14 140mm

that have bin spinning for some years now and i am in for an upgrade

and this is my idea and i want you to tell me if this is a overkill

or a total failure..

The current setup is

Two 140Mm 3 pin fans as intake in the front. 8xx ish max RPM

Tree 140Mm 3pin as exhaust Fans, placed on the Top, Back, and Side panel of the case as 8xx Max RPM

The new setup i will have

The 5 fans i will get hopefully tomorrow is

Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 140mm PWM ( 2 Front intake and 1 back Exhaust)

Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax .black.swap ( 1 Exhaust side and 1 Exhaust top-back

is this a way to go or will it be a mess?

If you want to murder your wallet getting Noctua is a good way to do it.

If you want good fans that don't cost 30$ each, Arctic P14 PWMs are nearly as good for 1/4th the price.  Buy a 5 pack.

Anyways, the side panel probably should be intake, not exhaust.

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

If you want to murder your wallet getting Noctua is a good way to do it.

If you want good fans that don't cost 30$ each, Arctic P14 PWMs are nearly as good for 1/4th the price.  Buy a 5 pack.

Anyways, the side panel probably should be intake, not exhaust.

yea i am god at killing my wallet XD

okay i have the side panel as an Exhaust just to blow the heat out  from the graphic card!

but i can try and change and test and see if there will be any difference 🙂

If you want to buy noctua (which I totally understand, have only noctua fans myself), maybe wait a few more month. They will release a new 140mm fan this year afaik

8 minutes ago, Devryd said:

If you want to buy noctua (which I totally understand, have only noctua fans myself), maybe wait a few more month. They will release a new 140mm fan this year afaik

okay! Nice Interesting! i will keep an eye open! 🙂 

but i already got them 😄

i will prob make a new PC build when the next RTX 4xxx NV Card will arrive so i might will try them out later 🙂

32 minutes ago, Elajitz said:

yea i am god at killing my wallet XD

18 minutes ago, Elajitz said:

but i already got them 😄

🤣🤣😅

So is this the case?

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/define/define-r5/black/

If so, it has a solid front panel with slits as intakes 😒

If you're not happy with temps, I think you need another intake either on the top-front or bottom-front & bottom-rear, as the front of the case may be too obstructed for 800rpm 140mm fans. The Noctuas which start at 800rpm (& go to 3000rpm) should improve things. Interested to know by how much.

What are your current Idle/Load temps?

I would experiment a bit with fan placement. You may or may not need an exhaust. I have a bunch of iPPC 3K in my case, and find that an exhaust fan just gets in the way for the most part. It is possible to run the fans quietly too.. they can get pretty rowdy 🤘

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

9 hours ago, Elajitz said:

is this a way to go or will it be a mess?

As long as you don't try to extremely fight physics/fluid dynamics, overkill is fine. Where and when overkill becomes a problem is when you're trying to flow way more air into the case, than air is exiting.

There is a hard limit to airflow in a case, and that's how much air can exit the case, that governs everything. If the air exiting is slightly-moderately less than intake, you get positive pressure which keeps dust out. But if the air exiting is significantly less than air intake (too much intake), then airflow stops completely, and major hot pockets form and case is done for. A practical way to test this is put your hands on the exhaust areas when computer is running full tilt. If you feel tons of hot/very hot air coming out, that's good that means not many hot pockets formed. if the air is cold, normal temp at exhaust, that's bad.

You don't need fans to have intake/exhaust. Mesh with big and nicely shaped holes, is intake/exhaust area as well.

Just imagine air as liquid, water in an aquarium with holes/pumps, or a garden hose (with holes).

7 hours ago, Dogzilla07 said:

As long as you don't try to extremely fight physics/fluid dynamics, overkill is fine. Where and when overkill becomes a problem is when you're trying to flow way more air into the case, than air is exiting.

There is a hard limit to airflow in a case, and that's how much air can exit the case, that governs everything. If the air exiting is slightly-moderately less than intake, you get positive pressure which keeps dust out. But if the air exiting is significantly less than air intake (too much intake), then airflow stops completely, and major hot pockets form and case is done for. A practical way to test this is put your hands on the exhaust areas when computer is running full tilt. If you feel tons of hot/very hot air coming out, that's good that means not many hot pockets formed. if the air is cold, normal temp at exhaust, that's bad.

You don't need fans to have intake/exhaust. Mesh with big and nicely shaped holes, is intake/exhaust area as well.

Just imagine air as liquid, water in an aquarium with holes/pumps, or a garden hose (with holes).

Okay! what speeds should my in and out  fans be? running them all at PWM and turbo as it not sounds to much 😛

I have 3 of Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 140mm PWM  2 in the front as intake

And one back as exhaust.

And on top back i have  one Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax .black.swap as exhaust.

The case side intake Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax .black.swap is off i haven't any free fan slots left on my mobo i do have molex but just 2 pin and that did not work

so i can use it, can i plug it in the CPU_OPT or will i burn the header? i use Y.split for my CPU Fans from CPU_Header

image.png.dda4766dfd38a0d16ed33b0094813b35.png

My Mobo Asus X99A

image.png.93fbb945a66b8feaa33e25a1e2ec39ab.png

This is my new fan setup should i do it in a another way?
switch places? what speeds do i need to run at in and Exhaust fans intake fans ?

I dropped about 3-4 C In CPU temp
highest i saw whit front dust filter on is 50/55 C ambient temp 26,5c
it barley reaches 50 when the front dust filter is of

image.thumb.png.a79c110189c32a6a05a32bde3de05624.png

17 hours ago, Ralfi said:

🤣🤣😅

So is this the case?

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/define/define-r5/black/

If you're not happy with temps, I think you need another intake either on the top-front or bottom-front & bottom-rear, as the front of the case may be too obstructed for 800rpm 140mm fans. The Noctuas which start at 800rpm (& go to 3000rpm) should improve things. Interested to know by how much.

What are your current Idle/Load temps?

this is my idle temp whit the new noctua fans

image.png.6bf6bddac21f62d72d405d2d8e94e3e6.png

17 hours ago, Ralfi said:

I know I'm using the that case for my TrueNAS build and I ended up drilling a bunch of holes in the front panel (in a pattern, so it doesn't look too bad) in front of those intake fans on my case. The inner panel of that hinged door I just cut a hole in behind the drilled holes. 

I made a wall of fans (3 - 120mm) on the other side of the drive bays as well, so the hard drives have fans in a push / pull configuration basically. 

2 hours ago, Elajitz said:

Okay! what speeds should my in and out  fans be? running them all at PWM and turbo as it not sounds to much 😛

You can run them at any speeds, just sync them up to be similar (slightly faster on the intake if u got the same number of intake/exhaust fans for positive pressure dust prevention).

Btw, coretemp doesn't show correct numbers, use Hwinfo64.

28 minutes ago, Dogzilla07 said:

You can run them at any speeds, just sync them up to be similar (slightly faster on the intake if u got the same number of intake/exhaust fans for positive pressure dust prevention).

Btw, coretemp doesn't show correct numbers, use Hwinfo64.

okay thx for the head sup 😄

image.png.3fa77a430721e7a6bff2d43e496b1849.png

32 minutes ago, Elajitz said:

okay thx for the head sup 😄

Brain fart, i mean cpuid hwmonitor, the one you linked in pics, that was is completely innacurate. CoreTemp and Hwinfo64 are good xD

this is my idle temp whit the new noctua fans

image.png.6bf6bddac21f62d72d405d2d8e94e3e6.png

Temps at idle are mostly meaningless, it's temps seen UNDER LOAD that really counts.
Idle temps can be an indicator but the real deal is only seen once the system is doing something.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

44 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Temps at idle are mostly meaningless, it's temps seen UNDER LOAD that really counts.
Idle temps can be an indicator but the real deal is only seen once the system is doing something.

yea max load temp i have seen atm is 55/56 c  but mostly it jumps up and down! everything at stock and an ambient temprature of 26

at every restart or boot my new fans spinning up like hell and then they settle

is that normal?

7 hours ago, Elajitz said:

Didn't your Noctua fan's come with splitters (Y-adapters)?  It is generally safe to plug to fans into the same motherboard header, without risking overloading the motherboard. So you could run 12 fans from that board.

I was just surprised to see one marked as disabled, no fan connectors left.

7 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Didn't your Noctua fan's come with splitters (Y-adapters)?  It is generally safe to plug to fans into the same motherboard header, without risking overloading the motherboard. So you could run 12 fans from that board.

I was just surprised to see one marked as disabled, no fan connectors left.

IPPC don’t come with anything but a box and a bag of screws. 

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

after 2/5h of Flight simulator and all the case fans at 1500RPM max temp i reached was 55 and it seems to stay in the 50ish outside major cities! and heavy scenery  🙂

10 hours ago, Elajitz said:

switch places? what speeds do i need to run at in and Exhaust fans intake fans ?

I dropped about 3-4 C In CPU temp
highest i saw whit front dust filter on is 50/55 C ambient temp 26,5c
it barley reaches 50 when the front dust filter is of

image.thumb.png.a79c110189c32a6a05a32bde3de05624.png

So CPU’s happy. Good. 👍🏼

after 2/5h of Flight simulator and all the case fans at 1500RPM max temp i reached was 55 and it seems to stay in the 50ish outside major cities! and heavy scenery  🙂

How’s the GPU temp after this play time?

I was going to suggest some options if it’s getting too toasty…

1) Move the rear exhaust fan to the bottom, as in intake for your GPU.

2) Move the pull fan on the CPU cooler to the bottom, as in intake for your GPU…CPU temps shouldn’t be impacted too much, if at all.

3) Move the top-rear fan to the bottom, as in intake for your GPU.

But if you’re happy, just leave it as is & remove any fans that aren’t enabled (your bottom one) to reduce clutter. Also, remove any HDD bays if possible - it will only improve airflow from the front, which is hindered due to the case design.

36 minutes ago, Ralfi said:

So CPU’s happy. Good. 👍🏼

How’s the GPU temp after this play time?

I was going to suggest some options if it’s getting too toasty…

1) Move the rear exhaust fan to the bottom, as in intake for your GPU.

2) Move the pull fan on the CPU cooler to the bottom, as in intake for your GPU…CPU temps shouldn’t be impacted too much, if at all.

3) Move the top-rear fan to the bottom, as in intake for your GPU.

But if you’re happy, just leave it as is & remove any fans that aren’t enabled (your bottom one) to reduce clutter. Also, remove any HDD bays if possible - it will only improve airflow from the front, which is hindered due to the case design.

Yea 😄 i need to open the front door to the case or else i getting jumping CPU temps everything from 55/60c during load, at Idle it stays 41/42c ish

so when its open and whit the dust filter still on it lands on a stable 50ish temp as max  53c

it might have to do whit the Indoor ambient temp of my room 27c atm "Dying 🤪"

i never encounter any problems whit the front case door closed! now i have Noctua NF-F12 On my cpu Push-pull maybe NF-F12's work differently than my other CPU Fans from the Hyper Evo 212 stock fans i still use the Radiator from EVO 212

yea i removed the over HDD bays under the ROM i just have the lower part  of the bays installed for the disks i use 🙂

The GPU Rtx 2080 Ti Ventus Temps are the best temps i have, almost all my cards have hitting 70 /80c and thermal throttled, 

This card not even touches 70 i think max i seen is 65c

using a pretty nice Fan curve in Afterburner not the most aggressive one but it makes wonders 😉

My Fan curve

image.png.edc9e20e50a0b3f278a38646d08871f5.png

2 minutes ago, Elajitz said:

Yea 😄 i need to open the front door to the case or else i getting jumping CPU temps everything from 55/60c

What CPU do you have? These temps aren't bad at all.

5 minutes ago, Elajitz said:

This card not even touches 70 i think max i seen is 65c

That's good. So long as you're happy with noise, then it seems you've worked it out.

7 minutes ago, Ralfi said:

What CPU do you have? These temps aren't bad at all.

That's good. So long as you're happy with noise, then it seems you've worked it out.

I am using a Old Goldie i7 5820K Running everything at stock! 🙂

Yea the noise is even worse now after my Noctua Fans installed running them all PWM Mode!

but i think i will getting use to it after some time its just the spin up of the fans at boot that scared the shit out of me

its like a rocket  trip To space 😛