Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Z77m d3h for ram oc?

Found 2 z77 boards bundled together for 27$ but the catch is a few non functional usb ports and headers for the z77m d3h (otherwise completely normal and working) and the 2nd board which is a z77 g43 is dead and not displaying but apparently tested awhile ago and working so pretty sure just cleaning the socket, ram slots, or pcie slots will make it work again (most likely spray socket with 99% ipa and itll come back to life)

 

 

Now im wondering if the z77m d3h is any good for ram oc if i compare it to a board like the z77 extreme4, pretty much just need it to run 2600+ and thats it, vrms dont worry me as im not cpu ocing esp with a pentium (may cap mod the ram vrms tho for more stable volt)

 

And which of the 2 boards is best for ram oc? Just incase if the z77 g43 if fixed is something worth keeping and not selling off for a profit

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why keep spending money on these worn out parts?? 

 

When will you just save some coin and get into ddr4 while the gettin' is good?

 

We've discussed this, You want a Z97 OC formula and a 4770K or the like 4690K for high frequency clocks.

 

Spoiler

I am not ShrimpBrime. ok yes I am.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Guest 5150 said:

Why keep spending money on these worn out parts?? 

 

When will you just save some coin and get into ddr4 while the gettin' is good?

 

We've discussed this, You want a Z97 OC formula and a 4770K or the like 4690K for high frequency clocks.

Im just cheap ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯ 

 

Haswell is overpriced asf and i doubt ill be selling ddr3 3000+ when basically nothing can run that other than haswell

 

Also ryzens pretty damn expensive too and i need 3rd gen or better for proper ram oc (5000+) because earlier gens are trash, but maybe intel may have something since 10th and 11th gen are basically worthless now so maybe i can snag a 10100/5(f) + b560/z490

 

But how do these 2 boards stack up against the z77 extreme4 and z97 oc formula?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Im just cheap ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯ 

 

Haswell is overpriced asf and i doubt ill be selling ddr3 3000+ when basically nothing can run that other than haswell

 

Also ryzens pretty damn expensive too and i need 3rd gen or better for proper ram oc (5000+) because earlier gens are trash, but maybe intel may have something since 10th and 11th gen are basically worthless now so maybe i can snag a 10100/5(f) + b560/z490

 

But how do these 2 boards stack up against the z77 extreme4 and z97 oc formula?

Well it sounds like both boards have some sort of issue? One doesn't even post? 

 

The one that posts and works the d3h probably, but I can't say it's capable of running 3000mhz ddr3. That's a gamble.

 

Spoiler

I am not ShrimpBrime. ok yes I am.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Guest 5150 said:

Well it sounds like both boards have some sort of issue? One doesn't even post? 

 

The one that posts and works the d3h probably, but I can't say it's capable of running 3000mhz ddr3. That's a gamble.

Though pitted up against the extreme4 which of the 2 come the closest or outperforms the extreme4?

 

I only need to run like 2800 at most, 3000+ is just flexing for absolutely no reason and only hynixes are capable of those ludicrous speeds, basically haswell territory

 

i may also tec cool the pentium just to boost the imc to try matching haswell

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Though pitted up against the extreme4 which of the 2 come the closest or outperforms the extreme4?

 

I only need to run like 2800 at most, 3000+ is just flexing for absolutely no reason and only hynixes are capable of those ludicrous speeds, basically haswell territory

 

i may also tec cool the pentium just to boost the imc to try matching haswell

I'd say the extreme 4 is no better or worse than a d3h. I mean these are essentially entry level boards. 

 

Maybe look for a z77 extreme 9 instead..

 

Spoiler

I am not ShrimpBrime. ok yes I am.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

I'd say the extreme 4 is no better or worse than a d3h. I mean these are essentially entry level boards. 

 

Maybe look for a z77 extreme 9 instead..

Next best thing is a z77 fatal1ty, though i wonder if i can trade my worthless p6t for that since this pile of garbage will just not sell and i really need something capable of at the very least 2400 but pref near 3000

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Next best thing is a z77 fatal1ty, though i wonder if i can trade my worthless p6t for that since this pile of garbage will just not sell and i really need something capable of at the very least 2400 but pref near 3000

3000mhz would be a far stretch even for like a Sabortooth o the Z77 chipset.

 

And that's what I've been trying to tell you all along. 

 

Z77 just isn't the platform to reach the ddr3 speeds you want. There's no other ways to word it. There's no secret tricks to make z77 better at overclocking and then choosing low end boards with low end chips, I just don't see you reaching 3000mhz let alone 2800 or even 2600. 

 

Spoiler

I am not ShrimpBrime. ok yes I am.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Guest 5150 said:

3000mhz would be a far stretch even for like a Sabortooth o the Z77 chipset.

 

And that's what I've been trying to tell you all along. 

 

Z77 just isn't the platform to reach the ddr3 speeds you want. There's no other ways to word it. There's no secret tricks to make z77 better at overclocking and then choosing low end boards with low end chips, I just don't see you reaching 3000mhz let alone 2800 or even 2600. 

Are there atleast any alternatives? I can tec cool if i need to

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Are there atleast any alternatives? I can tec cool if i need to

Not really any alternatives..... the Z97 platform was just better at memory overclocking than the z77.

 

It's like that with 6700K on ddr4 vs say an 8700k or 9900k. The 6700K just wasn't a good platform for ddr4 clocking. That's the situation you're in, just with ddr3 instead. Hopefully that makes sense.

 

Spoiler

I am not ShrimpBrime. ok yes I am.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

DDR3K on Z77? I had a hard time going past 2200 but was dual rank.. you might be able to do it with a lesser board than what I was using.. but I think your expectations may be set a bit too high.

 

But I could be wrong. Honestly, I think you would have more fun with something a bit more modern. I went from a 4700MHz 3770K to a 3600XT and was blown away at the progress. Then a 5600X was another solid bump, then a 5900X because I couldn't buy a GPU and wanted 5GHz that I had been trying to nail down for over 10 years lol.. got it! 🙂

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Frost Commander 140
Asus Strix B550-XE | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200C14
EVGA RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 Ultra | WD SN850, 2x SN750
Seasonic Prime GX-750 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

Not really any alternatives..... the Z97 platform was just better at memory overclocking than the z77.

 

It's like that with 6700K on ddr4 vs say an 8700k or 9900k. The 6700K just wasn't a good platform for ddr4 clocking. That's the situation you're in, just with ddr3 instead. Hopefully that makes sense.

Not even subzero pentium?

 

2 minutes ago, freeagent said:

DDR3K on Z77? I had a hard time going past 2200 but was dual rank.. you might be able to do it with a lesser board than what I was using.. but I think your expectations may be set a bit too high.

 

But I could be wrong. Honestly, I think you would have more fun with something a bit more modern. I went from a 4700MHz 3770K to a 3600XT and was blown away at the progress. Then a 5600X was another solid bump, then a 5900X because I couldn't buy a GPU and wanted 5GHz that I had been trying to nail down for over 10 years lol.. got it! 🙂

If only i could get a ryzen, board is like 20$ for a seemingly working x470 fatal1ty but the cpus are 100$+, cheapest thing i can get thats good at ram oc would be the 4100 but 4500 is just a few $ more, technically these are supposed to be beasts at ram oc cause really good imc but pretty horrible as a cpu cause no cache

 

 

Guess for now ill just find some ddr3 sticks and see if i can sell some with an oc profile for 2000+, unfortunately ill be limited to selling for 775, x58, and maybe 1155 if theyre imcs are so bad they cant even get to 2600, oh well i can cheat because haha volt go brrrrrrrrrrrr

 

Maybe when i can sell a couple i can convice mom to actually invest and finally be less of a failiure 🙂 /s

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Voltage doesn’t solve everything.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Frost Commander 140
Asus Strix B550-XE | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200C14
EVGA RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 Ultra | WD SN850, 2x SN750
Seasonic Prime GX-750 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, freeagent said:

Voltage doesn’t solve everything.

Laughs in 2.46v rev f

 

Though that ram is just trash in the first place and only improves from 9-11-11-24 to 8-11-10-20/18 while needing an extra 460mv

 

Basically i can cheat because 1.9v profile vs 1.65v profile on the same ic (assuming it scales with volt, ill pick ics that scale ofc) course the damn higher volt profile will win cause itll either do higher freq, tighter timings, or both. Then theres cooling issues but ram fan and diy aluminium strip heatsink (yes i wont use cheater foil)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would never feed my sweet BBSE, Or my Hypers that way with 24/7 voltage. What you are talking about is hardware abuse, like benching stuff is 24/7 stuff. Well good luck with that.

 

When you kill some hardware take note of what you were doing when it died, and try to learn from it. 
 

Enjoy 🤘🏻

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Frost Commander 140
Asus Strix B550-XE | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200C14
EVGA RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 Ultra | WD SN850, 2x SN750
Seasonic Prime GX-750 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, freeagent said:

I would never feed my sweet BBSE, Or my Hypers that way with 24/7 voltage. What you are talking about is hardware abuse, like benching stuff is 24/7 stuff. Well good luck with that.

 

When you kill some hardware take note of what you were doing when it died, and try to learn from it. 
 

Enjoy 🤘🏻

Hypers will take voltage, bbse i dont think so when the damn ddr3 ic thread says it scales to a measly 1.9v

 

I wont be making settable profiles with any higher than 2.1v (x58 or older) or 1.9v (newer than x58) so degradation should not be an issue, though 4gbit chips seem to scale to rather measly voltages (except microns) so i think 1.9v tops is what ill be able to do but who knows maybe theyll scale higher and will be eligible for a 2.1v profile

 

The samsung lasted 8 hours of p95 large ffts stress without any noticable degradation if it even degraded, prob more likely for the imc to degrade first but oh well im dealing with bulletproof hardware so whaddaya expect, course it dont die or even degrade

¯\_ (ツ) _/¯ 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×