BSOD after RAM Upgrade (4x8GB@3200MHZ =>4x16GB@3200MHZ)

System:
i9 9900k
Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-gaming WiFi motherboard
RTX 2080
4x8GB 3200MHZ DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB CMW16X4M2C3299C16

A few months ago I purchased 2 sets of 2x16GB 3200MHZ Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 RAM which i inetended to replace my 2 sets of 2x8GB 3200MHZ Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 RAM. I get the new RAM in and Immediately I noticed that, although it should be higher capacity the new sticks are shorter than my current ones. The working sticks of RAM are all CMW16X4M2C3299C16, and the new set is all CMH32GX4M2E3200C16. After installing the new RAM, my pc would not boot with the RAM at 3200MHZ, if i set it to 3100 or 3000 MHZ then my pc would boot, but then would BSOD after roughly 30 minutes. Immediately after that I went to remove the RAM as I had work I needed to complete and noticed that the RAM sticks (CMH32GX4M2E3200C16) were quite warm. I did attempt to get an RMA from corsair, but silly me thought to troubleshoot it with them first and that process took me out of the 30 day refund policy. I have no idea how DDR4 RAM could be incompatible with a DDR4 motherboard, further still how my motherboard which has been running 3200MHZ RAM and is stated of having a capacity of 128GB is incapable of running 64GB of RAM at the same frequency that it has been for almost two years now. I did try to reaset my BIOS to see if there might have been a setting that the motherboard would automatically detect if I put the new RAM in, but alas nothing helped. I have tried each of the new sticks individually and i encounter the same issue. Also it cannot be a faulty RAM slot as all of my current RAM is detected properly. I did also try several times to re-seat the new RAM to no avail. IK someone was going to suggest taht so i thought to nip that right in the bud XD.

I will attach a picture of all 8 sticks of RAM. The old and perfectly functional ones are on the left, and the new ones that are giving me trouble are on the right.

If anyone has encountered this issue before or knows what i might be able to do to fix it i would really appreciate it. This whole ordeal has been sufficiently frustrating and I this is the last place I could think to go,

Thank you soo very much,

-Erabior

20220316_172705.jpg

42 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

When was the last time this thing had its BIOS updated?

That is a good question. I was considering doing a BIOS update but i was un sure if that would fix the issue and did not want to go through any pain that may or may not come from a BIOS update if it did not fix my problem.

It looks like the new sticks are considerably newer, it may be that the new sticks aren't recognized by the board correctly, a BIOS update may fix that.

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2022 at 9:27 PM, BiotechBen said:

It looks like the new sticks are considerably newer, it may be that the new sticks aren't recognized by the board correctly, a BIOS update may fix that.

is it probable to rectify the issue, even if the sticks were getting warm? is it possible that they were overheating? can RAM overheat if they are at spec? can the bios update fix that?

sorry for the late response, this whole situation is incredibly disheartening.

If the sticks are getting warm, that means that current is flowing through them.

You'd need to push that ram really really hard for overheating to be an issue.

BIOS updates are always expanding compatibility and efficiency.