A mysterious technical problem with my PC (freezes)

Hi!

I've been struggling with technical problems with my PC for a long time. I hope someone might have an idea how to solve this.

Information about my PC:
-was bought at the end of December 2021 and assembled by myself
-Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
-CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
-Motherboard: B550-A Pro
-GPU: MSI Geforce RTX 2080 Super
-Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX LP black DDR4-3200
-Power supply: 700 watts be quiet! System Power 9 Non-Modular 80+ Bronze
-1x Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
-1x 1 TB HDD from my old laptop (MSI GE72-6QD16)

After everything was installed, I quickly noticed that I had a lot of laggs, freezes and especially fps drops. Then, with a friend, I found out that Windows was always having problems with the fact that although I had bought and entered a Windows 10 Pro key, it was only installing Windows 10 home. After we did an upgrade in the store, the laggs and freezes were gone. I mention this first problem because it could possibly be related to the current problem.

My current problem:

Everything worked fine for about three to four weeks. But then it started, regardless of whether it was playing high-end games, simply using Word and Spotify, that my PC completely froze for a few seconds. Sometimes this freeze lasted 2-3 minutes.

However, after doing the following, the problem still persists.

-Driver updated
-Checked SSD and HDD for errors
-Memory checked for errors
-BIOS updated for several times (had to be flashed for first use)
-Resource monitor, event viewer and task manager gave no error messages or information about whether something is currently using my entire CPU when the PC freezes
-G-snyc disabled
-Microsoft defender disabled once
-DirectX reinstallation
-Windows reinstall and reset

Many interviewed technicians could not help me. No connections can be established as to when the freezes occur. Sometimes programs hang on startup, sometimes they don't. Sometimes, when playing high-demand games, it doesn't happen. Ultimately, I really hope that someone has an idea and would also show my appreciation.

Edit: I'm grateful for any advice. Since this is such a difficult problem and the help is on a voluntary basis, I would also pay for the help. I could also imagine that PC parts may be broken or not compatible.

Annika Z.

What are your temps like?  (Probably not an isssue if so many people have looked at it but it’s the first thing to check after cable connections.  Any XMP or other overclocks running?  If so they need to be removed for diagnostics.  Sometimes this alone fixes the problem.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 6/26/2022 at 9:50 PM, TheNgbaka said:

Registry TdrDelay settings?

Thank you for your answer. So your idea is to disable TDR?

32 minutes ago, Annika Z. said:

Hi thank you for the answer. I have checked the temps. CPU and GPU are not too high. I have done stress tests as well.

How about the overclock thing?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 6/26/2022 at 9:05 PM, Bombastinator said:

How about the overclock thing?

So I should try to overclock? Here is a pic of my temps after using my PC for 2-3 hours, but I haven´t played any high-demand games. (normal use for Word etc.)

Unbenannt.png

So no overclock unless the memory was previously less than 3200.  There are situations where very small overclocks or can be useful.  I don’t recognize this as one of them.  I have heard that an undervolt can be useful with ryzen3.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

So no overclock unless the memory was previously less than 3200.  There are situations where very small overclocks or can be useful.  I don’t recognize this as one of them.  I have heard that an undervolt can be useful with ryzen3.

Thank you! I´ll try.

On 6/26/2022 at 2:32 PM, Annika Z. said:

Thank you for your answer. So your idea is to disable TDR?

Actually, I would suggest writing down your current settings and then increasing the decimal up to about 15. If that doesn't work, make sure to set it back to the original values. If the registry doesn't exist, you will have to create it under this path: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers. Then right click in the right column and create a New Registry value by selecting the DWORD (32-bit) Value, type in TdrDelay. Right click on the new key and select modify, then select the Decimal value and type 15 in the field. You will then have to reboot and see if it makes a difference. If not, change the settings back or delete (if you created) and reboot again. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2022 at 5:38 PM, Bombastinator said:

Unfortunately, it did not help, but thanks anyways.

On 6/29/2022 at 12:17 AM, TheNgbaka said:

Actually, I would suggest writing down your current settings and then increasing the decimal up to about 15. If that doesn't work, make sure to set it back to the original values. If the registry doesn't exist, you will have to create it under this path: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers. Then right click in the right column and create a New Registry value by selecting the DWORD (32-bit) Value, type in TdrDelay. Right click on the new key and select modify, then select the Decimal value and type 15 in the field. You will then have to reboot and see if it makes a difference. If not, change the settings back or delete (if you created) and reboot again. 

Thank you for your explanation. I've done all that and one will see if it helps.

Edit: it did not help, but thank you for the idea!