2xGPU setup - 2060 Super/3080 - Need PSU recommendations

0x0luke
Go to solution Solved by Mayday793,

sounds like price of the psu isnt really a concern for you as the difference from a 750 to 1000w is like 60$ or something. If you do go 1000w that also allows you to upgrade your parts in the future if you want to as well . Over buying on the PSU never really hurts a build 🙂

Also you put your response as solution. I crave the validation of having the solution checkmark if u wanna change that 😂😂😂 

Hello all,

I'm about to upgrade my system and I'd quite like to maintain my 2060 super as a Linux GPU and use my new 3080 as my Windows GPU via QEMU,

I've developed and programmed the software needed to support this situation, however I'm stuck on the PSU, I have no idea what sort of wattage I should buy for this rig. I'm removing hard drives completely as you can see in the planned list below

Specs;

CPU: AMD 3950x

RAM: KLEVV 3600MHz 32GB

STORAGE: 1 x NVMe 1TB PCIe Gen 3 - 1 x NVMe 2TB PCIe Gen 3

GPU - RTX 3080 - RTX 2060 Super

PSU - ????

Can you guys recommend a PSU that will bear this load without crashing, bare in mind I will run all my PCI devices in gen 3...

I think it depends on how you plan to use the two in tandem. I imagine you're not gonna be running say, apex legends on your windows side at 144 hz high resolution on one screen and then running some gpu intensive calculation on the linex vm on your secondary monitor? If you plan on only using one at a time, you would just need the power supply to handle the 3080 and then a bit of extra head room since you have an extra PCIe device plugged in. 
My suggestion would be a good quality 850w power supply but depending on your use case might need more.

How do you plan to use both these devices?   

13 minutes ago, Mayday793 said:

I think it depends on how you plan to use the two in tandem. I imagine you're not gonna be running say, apex legends on your windows side at 144 hz high resolution on one screen and then running some gpu intensive calculation on the linex vm on your secondary monitor? If you plan on only using one at a time, you would just need the power supply to handle the 3080 and then a bit of extra head room since you have an extra PCIe device plugged in. 
My suggestion would be a good quality 850w power supply but depending on your use case might need more.

How do you plan to use both these devices?   

While the 3080 is in use, the 2060 will be simply running a desktop environment, maybe Chromium at a push, so not much wattage at all 

ya so sounds like the 2060 will barely hit 10% usage i bet. So assuming some basic video playback on chromium, itll draw like 20w. So if you plan for a good power supply that can handle your 3080 there should surely be enough headroom to handle an idling 2060 while the 3080 is under load. 
AMD 3950x  ~ 105w, 
3080 ~ 350w 

2060 ~ 20w (since it wont loaded when the 3080 is loaded)
everything else ~ 100w 
(rough numbers from googling) 
I'm pretty sure you could get away with a 750w power supply but no less than that.  The difference in price from a 750w power supply and a 850w power supply isnt huge so spending an extra 20$ on the power supply to get the 850w one should be more than enough. Also the 3080 can sometimes power spike under heavy load so you want to well above its recommended power usage. 

I should add having that extra head room should handle if you accidentally load both. 

On 6/26/2022 at 4:27 AM, Mayday793 said:

ya so sounds like the 2060 will barely hit 10% usage i bet. So assuming some basic video playback on chromium, itll draw like 20w. So if you plan for a good power supply that can handle your 3080 there should surely be enough headroom to handle an idling 2060 while the 3080 is under load. 
AMD 3950x  ~ 105w, 
3080 ~ 350w 

2060 ~ 20w (since it wont loaded when the 3080 is loaded)
everything else ~ 100w 
(rough numbers from googling) 
I'm pretty sure you could get away with a 750w power supply but no less than that.  The difference in price from a 750w power supply and a 850w power supply isnt huge so spending an extra 20$ on the power supply to get the 850w one should be more than enough. Also the 3080 can sometimes power spike under heavy load so you want to well above its recommended power usage. 

I should add having that extra head room should handle if you accidentally load both. 

Thanks for the help dude,

I'm going to aim for a 1000w PSU just encase I decide to run some machine learning on my host OS, that'd also give me some headroom for my CPU TDP as I've seen it reach 170w when OC'd

sounds like price of the psu isnt really a concern for you as the difference from a 750 to 1000w is like 60$ or something. If you do go 1000w that also allows you to upgrade your parts in the future if you want to as well . Over buying on the PSU never really hurts a build 🙂

Also you put your response as solution. I crave the validation of having the solution checkmark if u wanna change that 😂😂😂