Strix 3080 too loud and too hot?

bigfootheyyq
Go to solution Solved by freeagent,
1 hour ago, jones177 said:

My Strix 3080 was cool and quiet. It idled in the 30s and gamed in the 60s. It was the only 30 series card I bought that I did not have to add fans to my cases to keep it cool.

That's pretty much like my stock 3070 Ti..

1155893660_Screenshot2022-06-24142248.png.afba57b2ad1067a78f2d352c95100769.png

Is there a way to disable 0 RPM mode, maybe a switch on the card? That should move a little more air through it..

Hello World,

I've finally snatched a Strix 3080 10GB for a goodish price (780€), and want to play on my 4k 120Hz without it sounding like a Jet Engine. That's what I came to expect from Strix cards, having used their 1080 and 2080Super for years each. I know the 3080 is a 370 watt powerhog, and that it can idle up to 60c with fans off without it being a problem. With GPU fans off and case (and CPU-)fans on 20% (350 RPM) mine idles (writing this post) around 55-60 degrees, 52-55 if I turn the GPU-fans to 20%. It's all set up with overlapping curves in FanControl (case fans ramp up when either CPU or GPU get hotter, and adapt to their respective curve of the higher temp).

While under load (Furmark or AC Origins 4k ultra) the GPU Cooler goes into overdrive and ramps up to around 80-90% in order to prevent thermal throtteling, temps hovering around 80c. The delta to the hotspot is around 15c, so temp is around 95c. While I can use the card as is, I really don't like the noise and the seamingly very small headroom to access the full 450w capability of this card.

RMA is out of the question I believe, since everything is still in spec. Here's what I'd like the advice on: Would this, in your mind, warrant a repaste of the card (it was bought in April) or am I just spoiled and don't keep up with what every 3080 is like now (super loud)?

Details on the build:

I have built inside a Fractal Define R6 (removed drive cage) with a LF280 push-pull with 4 arctic P14's as intake in the front, an additional P14 as intake on the bottom, two P14 + 1 Silent wing 3 in the back rear corner and on the top as exhaust. Case is off the floor and I have removed the front door of the case for good airflow, but would like to put it back because of noise, as soon as temps allow for it.

Rest of the System:

i5 12600k @ 5.1/5.1/5.0/5.0/5.0/5.0 with E-Cores @ 3.6

Z690 Gaming X DDR4 w/ 2x16GB Ripjaws 4400 CL19

Corair HX1000 from 2017

2 M.2 ssd's, 2 HDDs that don't obstruct airflow

I want to play on an LG 49NANO867NA 4k 120Hz panel.

Room temp around 25c.

Temps Strix idle.jpg

result.3dmark-result

Fancurve.jpg

Edited by bigfootheyyq
Added 3Dmark-File, added GPU fan-curve

Every card will be hot as the face of the sun when you run Furmark. Try 3dmark's stress test (its paid) or demanding games (RDR2 is one game that pushes my overclock to limits)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Here's the 3Dmark result. I think the temps here are lower than in gaming (AC Odyssey 4k 120 Hz), because the Stress Test isn't really taxing the CPU that hard.

result.3dmark-result

38 minutes ago, bigfootheyyq said:

Here's the 3Dmark result. I think the temps here are lower than in gaming (AC Odyssey 4k 120 Hz), because the Stress Test isn't really taxing the CPU that hard.

result.3dmark-result 966.12 kB · 1 download

Seems about right, it holds 77c and 1935-1920mhz on GPU core just fine. There is nothing wrong that result.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

36 minutes ago, Levent said:

Seems about right, it holds 77c and 1935-1920mhz on GPU core just fine. There is nothing wrong that result.

See, that's where I hope you're not quite spot on, since the fan speeds are pretty high, the noise it took to produce these temps isn't that great. And after playing for about 30 minutes the temps are steadily around 80c. On a beefy chunky top of the pops Strix Cooler. Is that really the way it's supposed to be? O.o

22 minutes ago, bigfootheyyq said:

See, that's where I hope you're not quite spot on, since the fan speeds are pretty high, the noise it took to produce these temps isn't that great. And after playing for about 30 minutes the temps are steadily around 80c. On a beefy chunky top of the pops Strix Cooler. Is that really the way it's supposed to be? O.o

I cannot see your fan speeds in the benchmark file you listed. Other than that card seems to hold its temperatures, so either cooler design is bad, you got a bad GPU or you got a bad thermal application from factory (unlikely but still possible). Case also matter a ton when it comes to graphics card temperatures. I am not sure how good Define R6 is but I dont see many airflow decisions from the couple of photos I glanced at (you can test if the case is the problem by testing with no side panel and see if fan is quieter or runs at lower RPM).

37 minutes ago, bigfootheyyq said:

400w man.. that's a lot.  Its not the 200w card you had before.. 

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

1 hour ago, Levent said:

I cannot see your fan speeds in the benchmark file you listed. Other than that card seems to hold its temperatures, so either cooler design is bad, you got a bad GPU or you got a bad thermal application from factory (unlikely but still possible). Case also matter a ton when it comes to graphics card temperatures. I am not sure how good Define R6 is but I dont see many airflow decisions from the couple of photos I glanced at (you can test if the case is the problem by testing with no side panel and see if fan is quieter or runs at lower RPM).

I've attached my fan curve. At 80c the fans turn at 85% meaning around 2200 RPM. Seems too loud, that's exactly my question. Case airflow is good, as stated in Topic-Post.

Fancurve.jpg

Just now, bigfootheyyq said:

I've attached my fan curve. At 80c the fans turn at 85% meaning around 2200 RPM. Seems too loud, that's exactly my question. Case airflow is good, as stated in Topic-Post.

Your fan profile doesnt look any better than what stock fan curve provides, it just looks like it comes on late and aggressive. As I said, test with side panel off and see if that changes anything. Other than that, if you are unhappy with the card there is not much you can do other than repasting, or getting a card like 3080 Noctua. My 970 Strix also wasnt quiet but overclocked extremely well.

12 minutes ago, Levent said:

Your fan profile doesnt look any better than what stock fan curve provides, it just looks like it comes on late and aggressive. As I said, test with side panel off and see if that changes anything. Other than that, if you are unhappy with the card there is not much you can do other than repasting, or getting a card like 3080 Noctua. My 970 Strix also wasnt quiet but overclocked extremely well.

The fan curve is doing what it's supposed to: Nearly inaudible at idle and proper cooling at full load. Also, I know that the airflow is good. Not obstructed, good intake-exhaust fans with slight overpressure in the case. Sidepanel off doesn't change much.

I know that I'm unhappy with it, I just don't know if I'm justified in feeling this way. That's what I'm trying to figure out. But there aren't really many resources on Strix 10GB 3080s out there, and I don't really know how to find out whether it's worth voiding my warranty(-sticker) over the noise under load or not...

4 hours ago, bigfootheyyq said:

But there aren't really many resources on Strix 10GB 3080s out there, and I don't really know how to find out whether it's worth voiding my warranty(-sticker) over the noise under load or not...

I had one.

My Strix 3080 was cool and quiet. It idled in the 30s and gamed in the 60s. It was the only 30 series card I bought that I did not have to add fans to my cases to keep it cool.

It was in a CM H500 ARGB and later a Corsair 5000d.

Here is the stock Time  Spy run. Note that its average temperature was 64c. https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/63945593? It was using 370 watts in that run with default fans.

Here is its overclocked run in Time Spy. Note that its average temperature was 62c. https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/64110353?  It was using 450 watts in that run with fans at 100%. 

The Time Spy runs were in a CM H500 ARGB case with stock fans. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

Is there a way to disable 0 RPM mode, maybe a switch on the card? That should move a little more air through it..

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

I had one.

It was in a CM H500 ARGB and later a Corsair 5000d.

Here is the stock Time  Spy run. Note that its average temperature was 64c. https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/63945593? It was using 370 watts in that run with default fans.

Here is its overclocked run in Time Spy. Note that its average temperature was 62c. https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/64110353?  It was using 450 watts in that run with fans at 100%. 

The Time Spy runs were in a CM H500 ARGB case with stock fans. 

Yooo, thanks a lot. This is very helpful, and exactly what I expected my card to be like as well. This definitely points into the direction of repasting it! Might I ask about the room temp for those GPU temps?

33 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Stock Strix 3070ti you mean? Yeah, that's what I've done now. 0rpm is only overridden by Fancontrol when I put at least 47% of Max RPM. Not really annoying, but still audible.

Now with fans at 50% and case fans at 25% I idle around 35c. Which is still too much in my book.

15 minutes ago, freeagent said:

The Strix 3080 did not have zero rpm if "Prefer maximum performance " was enabled in the Nvidia control panel but it idled at 60c. With it set to "Normal" it idled at 30c with zero rpm on the fans. 

It was not that hard to cool but the rest of my 30 series cards were so I now like to use cases that intake air from the bottom so the GPUs have more cool air.

4 minutes ago, bigfootheyyq said:

Yooo, thanks a lot. This is very helpful, and exactly what I expected my card to be like as well. This definitely points into the direction of repasting it! Might I ask about the room temp for those GPU temps?

My place is a constant 21c since it is air conditioned 24/7, 12 months out of the year. It is 33c out side now so not much choice. 

I would run it on a bench first or with a floor fan pointed at it before a repast since stuff happens.

It just may not like your case.

I have a CM H500P Mesh and all my 30 series cards ran hot in it for some unknow reason.  I replaced it with a Lian Li o11 dynamic and the temps dropped by 10c. My Strix 3080 was in a CM H500 ARGB that has basically the same design as the H500P Mesh but ran cool.  

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

39 minutes ago, jones177 said:

With it set to "Normal" it idled at 30c with zero rpm on the fans. 

I've had to set it to normal in order to stop chugging down above 100 watts idle with one monitor connected.

With floor fan you mean case fan, that's on the floor of the case? because I already have one of my P14's blowing through mesh practically directly into the GPU-shroud...

I don't really see a way around repasting at this point. Do you have experience with the thermal pad situation? With my 2080 Super I was able to just let the pads alone and repaste the GPU-die without losing any temps on the VRAM's. I'd love to JUST change thermal paste and not touch the pads, since I don't plan on mining heavily, and the VRAM temps are relatively fine...

16 hours ago, bigfootheyyq said:

With floor fan you mean case fan, that's on the floor of the case?

I mean a floor fan. They are about 20" wide and cost about $20 at Walmart.

With the side of a case open they can fill the case with cool air so it gives you the ideal temperature of the GPU. I use them when I don't have a computer on a bench.  

Spoiler

floorfan.png.6d76a91c3d7b993f044e7f32636b6831.png

16 hours ago, bigfootheyyq said:

because I already have one of my P14's blowing through mesh practically directly into the GPU-shroud...

I don't really see a way around repasting at this point. Do you have experience with the thermal pad situation? With my 2080 Super I was able to just let the pads alone and repaste the GPU-die without losing any temps on the VRAM's. I'd love to JUST change thermal paste and not touch the pads, since I don't plan on mining heavily, and the VRAM temps are relatively fine...

I have never needed to repast or replace pads on any GPU. I have added them when they were missing.

With the type of setups I use it is also not necessary. 

This is my RTX 3090 ti setup. With one intake fan on the bottom of the Lian Li o11 dynamic EVO it is only 3c hotter than on the bench. It now has 2 fans so about the same as on the bench. Since the intakes are below the GPU it only gets cool air. It averages 60c in the Time Spy with the 3090 ti at stock. https://www.3dmark.com/spy/27879092

Spoiler

20220512_105805.thumb.jpg.da3117e4467dbe143f0d9c274d87e030.jpg