F¥ck hp and windows 11

Hey, guys hear me out 

I bought a hp pavilion 15 with 

Intel 1235u, 12gb ram, windows 11 home, crappy 41wh battery (see specs through link)

https://support.hp.com/hr-en/document/c08262368

Here goes the STORY:

ON a fine evening i decided to download my favourite old game gta San Andreas. I go to <redacted> download it and then install it as per the installation guide (I'm quite aware that is piracy and has the potential to brick windows 11 itself.

But idk it's 2 decades old game 😤)

Then it runs fine without restarting and i restarted my laptop and the fun began 

The windows won't boot and gave me bsod with code : windows_nonbootable partition (or something)

I was like $hit and knew this was going to happen with piracy but I'm 18.

I created a win 11 boot usb and then install problem solved. It should be easy right? Wrong!!

Windows 11 asked me to connect 

To internet but the in-built WiFi card wouldn't work because of lack of drivers i guess.

I don't have usb c/a to rj 45 cable.

Rj 45 port has become a rear unicorn with thin and light laptops.

I literally craped my pants and the realisation dawned. The track pad too didn't work had to connect external USB mouse. I was like Shit and started to think how to get out of this situation (the laptop was bought at Costco i could have returned it to them, unlucky me i live in India and the laptop was gifted to me by my uncle)

After a lot of pondering i remembered win 10 didn't required internet for setup then again realisation struck win 10 doesn't have proper instructions set for Intel hybrid architecture (p and e cores) and i was like let me just get this laptop working first!

At installation page same issue track pad doesn't work and i couldn't control the brightness of screen from function keys it was default set To max. I set it up and still the wifi wasn't working i pondered what can be done and remembered usb tethering and connected my phone to laptop and viola the internet works

I reached out to hp USA with the same laptop. I explained my situation They said I may have to ship it out to them (it was just a week old). I said I can't cause i Live outside us 

They guided me through how to "hp cloud recovery" and it took a solid 2hrs to download and install on my usb. The software specifically asked for 32gb usb pendrive (the win 11 doesn't need more than 16gb pendrive it's for all the hp bloatware i guess 🤧)

lucky me i had that on hand.

And it again took 1 hr to install win 11 (I was afraid wifi wouldn't work at installation page but it did thank God and the track pad too.)

and all the bloatware was at least the pc works fine now

I had to stay up all night because of this mistake and i have learnt my lesson laptops and prebuilt pcs suck so does win 11

why the hell does it need internet at the time of installation it self?

I was like f u Microsoft the whole time

Tldr: don't do piracy, always have a working pc in hand and most important of all win 11 and hp bloatware suck 

Thanks for reading 💕

Edited by LogicalDrm

That's never happened when I pirated ALL 3 of the first GTA games, and that was on XP. We're only going downhill. (PS, get abandonware from archive.org CD rips not some random fishy site)

Yup, as a refurbisher OEM systems are very very strange. At least yours booted from USB, belive it or not, many will not. 

What you said with mouse driver and screen brightness, that is normal before drivers are installed, which happens later in setup.

Don't go and say all laptops suck so fast. Yes, Win11 is pretty garbage, but there are some good laptops out there, such as older ThinkPads and Precision laptops (what I'm typing this on now) that are very serviceable and moddable.

12 minutes ago, Brinda said:

usb tethering and connected my phone to laptop and viola the internet works

At this point all you had to do was go to support.hp.com and download and install all the drivers for your laptop. Windows couldn't find the drivers for your devices, so those things didn't work.

Edited by RockSolid1106
On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

Windows 10 asks to connect to the internet to install. You can tell it you don't have internet and just continue the install offline.

Windows 11 asks to connect to the internet to install. You can tell it you don't have internet and just continue the install offline.

I do both regularly at work in order to bypass the annoying insistence both versions of Windows have on using a Microsoft Account instead of a Local account. For Windows 11 I was using Windows 11 Pro though, perhaps W11 Home doesn't let you continue offline. It works on both editions of Windows 10 for sure.

2 minutes ago, RockSolid1106 said:

At this point you only had to go to support.hp.com and download and install all the drivers for your laptop. Windows couldn't find the drivers for your devices, so those things didn't work.

^^^ Have had to do this on all the newer laptops I've worked on, from HP and from Samsung. W10/11 install packages don't include all the drivers for them yet.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I think the point here is that anyone should avoid certain manufacturers that claim they are better just because they are proprietary, which ropes you into dealing with them and their BS once you've bought the product. And after that, they don't care how mad they make you. I feel for anyone that falls for this crap.

Granted, this is a laptop (and stuff like this is the reason I don't recommend gaming laptops), but meanwhile, my home-built 5900X / RTX3060ti will likely happy chug away for years to come.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

16 hours ago, Brinda said:

Windows 11 asked me to connect 

To internet but the in-built WiFi card wouldn't work because of lack of drivers i guess.

I don't have usb c/a to rj 45 cable.

Rj 45 port has become a rear unicorn with thin and light laptops.

You have 2 options:

• You can get a USB-3.0 to Ethernet adapter. They are real cheap. And useful for cases like this, or you encounter a desktop or laptop with brother Ethernet port. It is the think you'll definitely rarely use it, but considering their low price, should not be a problem. You don't need to get a fancy one. 100Mbps USB 3.0 is plenty for troubleshooting. USB 3.0 is not technically needed if your home internet isn't reaching 100Mbps, but it is more to get simultaneous bi-directional support (USB 2.0 can only transfer data in 1 direction at a time... so for Ethernet, it is download OR upload, so if you do both, which you do on modern websites, packets will be sent both way, one at a time, so the internet experience would be annoying... despite good speed test results when conducted. USB 3.0 solves this). I mean, if you see a 1GBPs USB 3.0 adapter at a price you can afford as it is only a few dollars (well, Ruppes, in your case) more, then sure get that.

• Get the drivers from another device, put it on a USB flash drive, then pug the drive on your laptop, and go in Audit Mode on it ( CTRL + SHIFT + F3 ), you'll get a desktop environment, you can install all your drivers there. Then once all done, click on the "OK" box in the System Preparation window that will be there, opened, centered of the screen, and you'll go back to were you were... but now all your drivers. Audit Mode is what is used by OEMs, like HP, Dell, and so on, to setup a system (then they make an image, and mass deploy them on drives as the laptop is produced).

Windows 11 Home doesn't allow you to complete the setup offline, however with a bit of command prompt magic that issue can be side stepped.

Press Shift + F10 to launch command prompt

Type: taskkill /F /IM oobenetworkconnectionflow.exe

Close command prompt

For one, 2 decades is not enough for anything to become something you can justify piracy with. Its not abandonware either as Rockstar still sells it.

For two, if pirating software/games bricks your OS, that alone is probably best version of DRM yet.

For three, HP is shitty manufacturer of anything but printers.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv