G.Skill 256GB RAM speeds and Threadripper 3970x

Hi! I finished my build, and I might have shot myself in the leg. Note, that I am not an expert on the topic by any means, I just wanted to build a system which is futureproof, reliable workstation for modeling and bioinformatics, as well as a good gamestation.

Here is my setup:

-ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha

-AMD Threadripper 3970x

-2xMSI RTX 3090 Suprim X

-G.Skill 256GB (8x32GB) kit 3600

Now, I just realised that the Threadripper 3970x officially maxes out at 3200Mhz memory speed, and only the 3990x supports 3600Mhz. Since I purchased the 3600Mhz kit, I am affraid I might have lost performance, since the CL numbers are as follows:

3200 kit: CL16-18-18-38

3600 kit: CL18-22-22-42

After doing the math, I realized that even after I set the RAM to 3200Mhz, I'll have longer latency due to the larger CL numbers, compared to if I have gone with the 3200Mhz kit.

My question is: is there any way to maximize my performance, decreasing latency? Either by setting the CL numbers lower, or running the RAM at 3600Mhz? Is it possible to tune these sticks to get the same performance or better, as if I have gone with the 3200 kit? Anything like the infinity fabric or using the DRAM calculator?

Thank you very much in advance!

28 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

With the 3600 kit, you may be able to set it to the 3200 timings manually.

Thank you for the help! I will try. However, would the different timinigs be a problem? Can I tune them down as well to increase speed?

1 hour ago, CapnBlue said:

Thank you for the help! I will try. However, would the different timinigs be a problem? Can I tune them down as well to increase speed?

In theory, if both kits are from the same manufacturer, the 3200 kit may be a 3600 kit that didn't make it to 3600.