cleaning pc without compressed air?

Is it possible? If yes how? I don't wanna look on youtube cuz a lot of them say vacuum which is dangerous, i know this because I damaged 1 of my PCs

With a paint brush sorta. But really compressed air + paintbrush is king.

You can also get one of those pc duster devices they cost about 30$ at most. Way more economical than getting weak sauce cans of "air".

yes, it's possible but it takes a lot of time.. you can use isopropyl alcohol and paper towel/cloth to clean your pc

Just now, Noir_68 said:

yes, it's possible but it takes a lot of time.. you can use isopropyl alcohol and paper towel/cloth to clean your pc

where tf can I get that alcohol? I know alcohols generally come in percentages so how much percent of what do I need? I also wanna change the thermal paste on my cpu so I'd like to use the same alcohol for both

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

With a paint brush sorta. But really compressed air + paintbrush is king.

You can also get one of those pc duster devices they cost about 30$ at most. Way more economical than getting weak sauce cans of "air".

the big paint brush u paint walls with? or small xd

It's a bit painful and takes longer, but it can be done.

3 minutes ago, yagamilight said:

where tf can I get that alcohol? I know alcohols generally come in percentages so how much percent of what do I need? I also wanna change the thermal paste on my cpu so I'd like to use the same alcohol for both

Pharmacies, drug stores, grocery stores. I typically buy 72% isopropyl alcohol and it works fine for all my cleaning purposes.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I use a vacuum cleaner along with a brush lol

It's a shitshow if it sucks in a loose cap or some mosfet

Asus ROG G531GT : i7-9750H - GTX 1650M +700mem - MSI RX6600 Armor 8G M.2 eGPU - Samsung 16+8GB PC4-2666 - Samsung 860 EVO 500G 2.5" - 1920x1080@145Hz (172Hz) IPS panel

Family PC : i5-4570 (-125mV) - cheap dual-pipe cooler - Gigabyte Z87M-HD3 Rev1.1 - Kingston HyperX Fury 4x4GB PC3-1600 - Corsair VX450W - an old Thermaltake ATX case

Test bench 1 G3260 - i5-4690K - 6-pipe cooler - Asus Z97-AR - Panram Blue Lightsaber 2x4GB PC3-2800 - Micron CT500P1SSD8 NVMe - Intel SSD320 40G SSD

iMac 21.5" (late 2011) : i5-2400S, HD 6750M 512MB - Samsung 4x4GB PC3-1333 - WT200 512G SSD (High Sierra) - 1920x1080@60 LCD

Test bench 2: G3260 - H81M-C - Kingston 2x4GB PC3-1600 - Winten WT200 512G

Acer Z5610 "Theatre" C2 Quad Q9550 - G45 Express - 2x2GB PC3-1333 (Samsung) - 1920x1080@60Hz Touch LCD - great internal speakers

10 minutes ago, yagamilight said:

Rubbing alcohol is widely available and is the right sort of %, make sure it has no additives that could leave sticky residue. I use a Compu Clean mains air duster (cost £35 + a box of 35 lint less swabs of different sizes)  and a small soft paint brush, works fine.

4 minutes ago, thekingofmonks said:

I use a vacuum cleaner along with a brush lol

It's a shitshow if it sucks in a loose cap or some mosfet

This. I've been using a vacuum and automotive detail brushes for years, never been an issue. I prefer to suck up dust, not blow it around. 

You can get one of those electric dusters which works well enough. Depending on your environment, stuff may get caked on and the duster won't work to remove it. In those cases, Q tips and 91% IPA works well.

As far as cleaning.......if you have any type of pets or otherwise dirty environment (near kitchen, etc) you'll just get dusty and dirty. Not much to do about it. I used to be really anal about making sure my shit was clean, but these days I just blow the big chunks out. I notice almost no difference in thermal performance between a 5 minute once-over with the blower to get the big chunks out and a deep deep clean. So it's not really worth it for the most part to get that last 10-20% cleaned out.

I see stuff like Greg Salazar mention what he thinks is "filthy"...uh yeah, sure buddy. Often the before shot is what my PC's look like after a "good" cleaning.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 hour ago, yagamilight said:

the big paint brush u paint walls with? or small xd

Both! Big for general brushing and deep heatsinks. Small for the finer details and hard to reach places.

2 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

This. I've been using a vacuum and automotive detail brushes for years, never been an issue. I prefer to suck up dust, not blow it around. 

how tf do I use a vacuum? Everyone has been saying that it's bad now it's suddenly good? Idk what to do now

12 minutes ago, yagamilight said:

how tf do I use a vacuum? Everyone has been saying that it's bad now it's suddenly good? Idk what to do now

I didn't say it was good, I just don't care what other people say. I use my own judgement and recognize i'm at fault if there is a problem. 

Now, 15 years later, I've not managed to kill anything yet. YMMV.

1 hour ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I didn't say it was good, I just don't care what other people say. I use my own judgement and recognize i'm at fault if there is a problem. 

Now, 15 years later, I've not managed to kill anything yet. YMMV.

do u use the vacuum on max power or do u put it on low power ? If theres even an option on your vacuum for that

7 minutes ago, yagamilight said:

do u use the vacuum on max power or do u put it on low power ? If theres even an option on your vacuum for that

There is only one setting on any vacuum i've used. 

Technique is important, i'm not shoving the nozzle into the components, i'm just leaving it near them as I brush dust from the surface of things into it.

5 hours ago, Shimmy Gummi said:

I see stuff like Greg Salazar mention what he thinks is "filthy"...uh yeah, sure buddy. Often the before shot is what my PC's look like after a "good" cleaning.

I got raked over the coals here for having a nightmare filter pc because it has a very slight bit of dust on the gpu backplate. I don't know where other people live, but where I am, if you don't dust every day, dust is reality. 

And for the op, I use an old toothbrush for heatsink fin cleaning. No components to break off, so you can be pretty aggressive. 

16 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

I got raked over the coals here for having a nightmare filter pc because it has a very slight bit of dust on the gpu backplate. I don't know where other people live, but where I am, if you don't dust every day, dust is reality. 

And for the op, I use an old toothbrush for heatsink fin cleaning. No components to break off, so you can be pretty aggressive. 

Interior shot about 2 weeks or so after a "blow the chunks out" cleaning:

PXL_20220617_232901524.thumb.jpg.d8d58c5f9a428b81f287a71582f0d467.jpg

Nice layer of dust everywhere. It's imperfect....but idgaf anymore. Gets me 90% of the way there and spending more time doesn't actually benefit the time wasted

This is with positive airflow too....6 in (3 side in,  3 front in) 4 out (3 top out, 1 rear out)....

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

13 hours ago, Shimmy Gummi said:

Interior shot about 2 weeks or so after a "blow the chunks out" cleaning:

PXL_20220617_232901524.thumb.jpg.d8d58c5f9a428b81f287a71582f0d467.jpg

Nice layer of dust everywhere. It's imperfect....but idgaf anymore. Gets me 90% of the way there and spending more time doesn't actually benefit the time wasted

This is with positive airflow too....6 in (3 side in,  3 front in) 4 out (3 top out, 1 rear out)....

damn bro ur pc looks nice ngl

23 hours ago, yagamilight said:

i usually bought them from local online shop.. maybe you can find one in your local pharmacy. Rubbing alcohol is fine too

If you're in the states, Walmart sells 91% IPA for cheaper than dirt generally

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-91-Isopropyl-Alcohol-Liquid-Antiseptic-32-fl-oz-Twin-Pack/979211867

This amount will last you for like....ever.

91% IPA and the rest is purified water, no other detergents or moisturizers like sanitizers