Cooling questions

RedhaRay
Go to solution Solved by freeagent,

No problem.

I didn't use it long enough to notice any loss. I got the 2g tube and I think I got 3.5 applications.. came up short for the 4th.. though it could have been the 3rd..

All pastes cure.. usually takes a few days. But some dry out more than others. I hit it with high heat right away because that's how I roll lol.. it was good. If you lose performance at a higher temp range, chances are its too thin. I was up in the 90s and it was ok, but I was pushing the CPU fairly hard. I was using Le Grand Macho RT Passively on a 3600XT with a static OC at 4500MHz. 4400 didn't run as hot 😄

I don't know if you will need 10 minutes, maybe 5.. but even that seems like a bit long. I can say, don't be afraid to put some pressure on the spatula, you want it to spread and it will take a little pressure. And don't over think it, just relax.. 

You are welcome 👍

Question 1:
i've got an arctic liquid freezer ii 360 top mounted - as exhaust
3x 140mm front fans - as intake
1x 140mm back fan - as exhaust

P600S "I Recommend it for mounting 360 rad at top"

i've a chance of buying 3x Arctic P12 which are the same fans that comes with arctic liquid freezer ii 360,

in this case, i can do push-pull configuration
" 6 fans on the rad, 3 on top and 3 on bottom"
would that make a real difference? 5-6C at least?
Or is it not worth it at all?

AMD 5950X - 128GB Ram - RTX 3080

Question 2:
been using zlaman thermal paste for a few years now,
i've thought to check what's the best, Noctua pastes isn't available in my country while Arctic MX is a good option, but all vendors here are selling fake ones, then i came across thermal grizzly kryonaut extreme, but seeing that the non-extreme version will degrade very shortly i decided not to risk it and i ended up buying thermalright tfx, looked some benchmarks it looks good with a long-lasting paste, have anyone tried it?
It should come with 2 grams, which i believe is  enough for 3-4 applications " either x method or spread only"
any tips of how good is it? How to store it after use, like in refrigerator or something? How thin or thick i need to spread it on the CPU " AMD 5950X"

Question 3:
this one is regarding a different machine i have,
if dust isn't an issue and i will clean the PC every week or so,
in such case, will remove the side panel completely offer good temps? The reason i'm asking is that i don't have enough fans inside the PC case if i have to close it i would need to buy some fans, so i thought if i can leave the side panel off, would that offer better temperatures than buying some cheap fans? Currently, the case have a 140mm rad for CPU as exhaust along with 140mm intake and 140mm exhaust, that's why i was considering to leave the side panel off and try to clean it on a weekly basis, would that work?

i7 6950x - 32gb ram - RTX 3070ti

Thank you.

On a P600S you can't fit push+pull Arctic fans + rad  on top not enough clearance to the mobo rear i/o

I've tried 🙂

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

4 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

On a P600S you can't fit push+pull Arctic fans + rad  on top not enough clearance to the mobo rear i/o

I've tried 🙂

i just measure it now right after your comment, it should fit, maybe you're using a different motherboard or larger rams that won't allow it? i'm using Asus Rog Strix X570-E Gaming Wi-Fi ii with g.skill jsaw non-rgb ram kit 4x32gb, why it didn't fit in your case?

3 minutes ago, RedhaRay said:

Question 1:

i've a chance of buying 3x Arctic P12 which are the same fans that comes with arctic liquid freezer ii 360,

in this case, i can do push-pull configuration
" 6 fans on the rad, 3 on top and 3 on bottom"
would that make a real difference? 5-6C at least?

You may see 0-2C difference. It's not really not worth the trouble unless you intend to run the fans at full speed, but worth the gain. If you really want to see a difference try taking the side panel off. With your current set with the radiator on the top, it is sucking some heated air from the CPU, RAM and other components and exhausted it through half the surface of the radiator.

12 minutes ago, RedhaRay said:

Question 3:
this one is regarding a different machine i have,
if dust isn't an issue and i will clean the PC every week or so,
in such case, will remove the side panel completely offer good temps?

3 minutes ago, RedhaRay said:

You can try that to see how it goes as long as you don't have pets going near your computer. I leave my panel off on  case to keep it cooler. One thing I have noticed with having the case open and if you can keep the air moving still it may not be any dustier. The dust seems to go to difference places.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

5 minutes ago, alyen said:

You may see 0-2C difference. It's not really not worth the trouble unless you intend to run the fans at full speed, but worth the gain. If you really want to see a difference try taking the side panel off. With your current set with the radiator on the top, it is sucking some heated air from the CPU, RAM and other components and exhausted it through half the surface of the radiator.

Thank you so much for the help,

That's an excellent idea, my side panel is made of glass and can be opened and closed just like a door same as with the panel on the other side, so it's a good idea to leave it slightly opened while doing some load on the CPU and close it while idling or when the system is turned off, well, your idea totally made a use of the door system in my pc case, thank you for such cool suggestion.

Regarding the fans, unless the gain is more like 5-6 i won't bother,

because i would need to buy x3 fans + a fan hub, and a lot of cables,

all that for like 1-2 degrees?

i thought the gain would be 5-6C at least,

maybe your idea of opening the side panel is better, and it's free!

One thing about AIO, i really don't understand how should i set them up in the bios,

it should be DC running at full speed for the pump, right?

And a curve for the other fans, and i should choose PWM?

Any information regarding this would be highly appreciated because i don't have any experience dealing with fans.

As for the third question, so having an open case with no side panel is similar or even better than having some extra fans inside with closed side panels if i cleaned it every week or so?

I've used TFX before, probably the best performing TIM that I have used. Mine was a bit thick, and a little difficult to apply.. but I got er 🙂

SYY-157 is what I buy the most. It performs similarly to TFX, but is much cheaper, and is easier to apply. 

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

44 minutes ago, freeagent said:

I've used TFX before, probably the best performing TIM that I have used. Mine was a bit thick, and a little difficult to apply.. but I got er 🙂

SYY-157 is what I buy the most. It performs similarly to TFX, but is much cheaper, and is easier to apply. 

That's good to know, thank you so much,

SYY isn't available just like the Noctua ones,

and spending +$5000 on my PC i thought i should use a good thermal paste,

the TFX looks so hard to apply, any tips or a video of doing it?

Some even said i should put it in a boiling water for like 15 minutes,

others said to use a hair dryer, and i'm yet to find a good way of doing it,

it also doesn't work with dot or x methods, the paste needs to be spread out,

and i'm not sure how much is enough, not sure how to store it after i use it,

refrigerator? Or room temperature while in winter -3 in summer +40,

so i'm really not sure, the only thing i know is it's the best thermal paste at the moment and i placed the order today, so any helps or tips would be highly appreciated,

thank you so much.

1 minute ago, RedhaRay said:

That's good to know, thank you so much,

SYY isn't available just like the Noctua ones,

and spending +$5000 on my PC i thought i should use a good thermal paste,

the TFX looks so hard to apply, any tips or a video of doing it?

Some even said i should put it in a boiling water for like 15 minutes,

others said to use a hair dryer, and i'm yet to find a good way of doing it,

it also doesn't work with dot or x methods, the paste needs to be spread out,

and i'm not sure how much is enough, not sure how to store it after i use it,

refrigerator? Or room temperature while in winter -3 in summer +40,

so i'm really not sure, the only thing i know is it's the best thermal paste at the moment and i placed the order today, so any helps or tips would be highly appreciated,

thank you so much.

No problem.

I got mine from Amazon if that helps.

With TFX I just draw a line down the side of the CPU, and pull it over with the spreader. It shouldn't be too bad, just be patient, and try to get it thin, but not translucent.

For me I was doing it in the winter, so the house was pretty cool, about 70f.. but more like 68 lol. I didn't use any heat tricks to get it softer, I just went bare back.

2 minutes ago, freeagent said:

No problem.

I got mine from Amazon if that helps.

With TFX I just draw a line down the side of the CPU, and pull it over with the spreader. It shouldn't be too bad, just be patient, and try to get it thin, but not translucent.

For me I was doing it in the winter, so the house was pretty cool, about 70f.. but more like 68 lol. I didn't use any heat tricks to get it softer, I just went bare back.

Thank you that really helped out a lot, I really do appreciate your efforts, i'm going to try your method,

a few things worth noting:

Have you noticed any degradation in 3-6 month from the point where you applied the thermal paste?

On their website they say no curing time, but on other forums some people said to avoid going over 70c in the first week or so after applying the TFX, because high temperatures in the first week or so will ruin it, how true is that?

Is 2 gram sufficient? For how many CPUs, approximately?

While applying the TFX, can i do it slowly, like for +10 minutes?

Because it's my first time applying a thick thermal paste plus it's also my first time doing the spreading method, therefore this should take some time,

any negative effect for that on the thermal paste in case i needed to heat it up" with a hair dryer" a few times or so?

That was all, thank you so much for your time.

No problem.

I didn't use it long enough to notice any loss. I got the 2g tube and I think I got 3.5 applications.. came up short for the 4th.. though it could have been the 3rd..

All pastes cure.. usually takes a few days. But some dry out more than others. I hit it with high heat right away because that's how I roll lol.. it was good. If you lose performance at a higher temp range, chances are its too thin. I was up in the 90s and it was ok, but I was pushing the CPU fairly hard. I was using Le Grand Macho RT Passively on a 3600XT with a static OC at 4500MHz. 4400 didn't run as hot 😄

I don't know if you will need 10 minutes, maybe 5.. but even that seems like a bit long. I can say, don't be afraid to put some pressure on the spatula, you want it to spread and it will take a little pressure. And don't over think it, just relax.. 

You are welcome 👍