I damaged my motherboard during my first build, how bad is this??

Lucy789

Damaged motherboard, how bad is this?

I’m sorry Ik this isn’t perfectly on topic but I need to know and I couldn’t find another place 

A1EB02F8-E192-430F-9AE1-9219EAA65200.png

EFA9A326-D4CE-4523-9EFC-E94215A2BBB2.jpeg

That looks like a smudge that can be wiped off or a trace thats been fked, try wiping it and see what happens just incase its just a smudge

If its actually a fked trace then itll prob boot but you may run into something not working though unsure what that chip above the 2nd pcie x16 slot is, you could also be completely fine

5 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

If its actually a fked trace

If it is, and it causes issues, it's actually a really easy fix for anyone with experience working on that scale of electronics, it can be jumped locally, or traced to vias and wired with minimal effort. You'll probably spend longer trying to find someone to fix it than they will spend actually fixing it.

22 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

That looks like a smudge that can be wiped off or a trace thats been fked, try wiping it and see what happens just incase its just a smudge

If its actually a fked trace then itll prob boot but you may run into something not working though unsure what that chip above the 2nd pcie x16 slot is, you could also be completely fine

Thank you so much, I swear to gosh how did I not check if it was a piece of something and not actual damage. Crisis averted - it was a flake of some kind - and now I gotta make sure that my gpu is fine bc that’s what made that “scratch” anyways. Thanks!!

1 minute ago, Lucy789 said:

Thank you so much, I swear to gosh how did I not check if it was a piece of something and not actual damage. Crisis averted - it was a flake of some kind - and now I gotta make sure that my gpu is fine bc that’s what made that “scratch” anyways. Thanks!!

Well thats the best case scenario, happy building i guess and dont forget to turn on xmp just to save you the headache of rams not running at their advertised speed

32 minutes ago, Ralphred said:

If it is, and it causes issues, it's actually a really easy fix for anyone with experience working on that scale of electronics, it can be jumped locally, or traced to vias and wired with minimal effort. You'll probably spend longer trying to find someone to fix it than they will spend actually fixing it.

Depends what it's being used for. If it's for PCIe then you're probably screwed because of how tight the signal tolerances are (IIRC the traces need to be within 1/200th of an inch). Getting something within that narrow a window by hand is basically impossible (the tolerances are within the width of a human hair). 

26 minutes ago, Lucy789 said:

I'm not saying to stomp on your gear or anything, but you'd be amazed what hardware can survive 🙂

If you do have any issues, make sure to look at your warranty or return policies!

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Snip

The biggest issue is capacitance with the ground and power planes, so as long at you know what your doing, it's really not that hard, especially on a break of that size (assuming it was a chip out and not some detritus on the board.

1 hour ago, trevb0t said:

you'd be amazed what hardware can survive

I've got a mate, that when he's bored of trying to find the problem and the item is ready for the recycling pile, literally bends the PCB just up to the point of failure, in both planes; this has a 50% success rate in resurrecting "dead" PCBs'. DO NOT DO THIS TO MULTI LAYER BOARDS.