What is my PC lacking? Or just poorly optimised?

DonMatteo13

Hi Guys,

so for Christmas I was gifted a gaming PC from my partner (very lucky I know). She doesn't know much about PC gaming so when she bought the system she asked if it could pretty much run everything coming out in the next few years (i.e 5ish years) on ultra with no problems. The guy that sold it to her said it should have no issue running everything at max frames on ultra (dependent on my monitor). I'm primarily a console gamer so my knowledge of PC stuff is limited. My monitor is 144hz so I was expecting to run everything between 120-140 frames with limited drops.

Anyway I just downloaded the Metal Hellsinger demo on steam (pretty rad you should check it out). And with everything thrown on ultra, the max frames I could get was 90 and it dipped into the 40's in the boss battle (with micro stutters every 10-15 seconds.)

My setup is as follows:

-OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit -Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor (16 CPUs), ~3.6GHz -Motherboard: MSI B450M MORTAR -Memory: 16Gb RAM DDR4 (dual channel) -Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 (2x Ventus) -PSU: RMx Series™ RM650x 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX -Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD (Game is installed here), Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb and Seagate HDD ST2000DM001-1ER164 2TB.-Monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ HDR 27" WQHD 2560x1440 165Hz

I thought it was relevant to mention the monitor as I have both G-sync and ELMB sync enabled.

From this, does anyone see a clear lacking and where a part needs to be replaced? Or everything here should run games better and my PC isn't optimised correctly perhaps?

Any feedback would be great!

See the temps with the MSI Afterburner, then come back here.

Your game shouldn't be running the game like this, probably the game is with a terrible optimization.

9 minutes ago, DonMatteo13 said:

She doesn't know much about PC gaming so when she bought the system she asked if it could pretty much run everything coming out in the next few years (i.e 5ish years) on ultra with no problems. The guy that sold it to her said it should have no issue running everything at max frames on ultra (dependent on my monitor). I'm primarily a console gamer so my knowledge of PC stuff is limited. My monitor is 144hz so I was expecting to run everything between 120-140 frames with limited drops.

Well, this PC should run everything on Ultra at 1440P at 120 FPS or higher without struggling, this PC is a monster basically.

I don't speak english fluently, i'm sorry if you don't understand some things.

12 minutes ago, Pepse said:

See the temps with the MSI Afterburner, then come back here.

Your game shouldn't be running the game like this, probably the game is with a terrible optimisation.

Well, this PC should run everything on Ultra at 1440P at 120 FPS or higher without struggling, this PC is a monster basically.

OK just running around in the 70-90fps area: GPOU temp is about 71 degrees and CPU is about 53. Will see what it is at the boss battle. 

Just now, DonMatteo13 said:

OK just running around in the 90fps area: GPOU temp is about 69 degrees and CPU is about 50. Will see what it is at the boss battle. 

So i don't think you can do something about it. This game is poorly optimized, there isn't any problem with your setup.

7 minutes ago, Pepse said:

So i don't think you can do something about it. This game is poorly optimized, there isn't any problem with your setup.

I do notice it in other games. For example, I just beat Black Mesa, which definitely should have ran at a locked 120 at least, but it ran at about 100fps and dipped to 60 in the outside areas (again with the micro stutters). 

Battlefield 2042 also stutters heavily and cant break 100 on ultra - Same with back for blood.

Deus ex Mankind divided also runs poorly on max

So I am convinced there is something up with my PC.

6 minutes ago, DonMatteo13 said:

Battlefield 2042 also stutters heavily and cant break 100 on ultra - Same with back for blood.

Battlefield 2042 is one of the worst games of the decade, the optimization with this game is terrible, walks with Cyberpunk, and Back 4 Blood isn't an example.

7 minutes ago, DonMatteo13 said:

I do notice it in other games. For example, I just beat Black Mesa, which definitely should have ran at a locked 120 at least, but it ran at about 100fps and dipped to 60 in the outside areas (again with the micro stutters).

This is strange. Maybe the 3700X can't handle it, but it is a very good CPU...

Do you at least know what is causing this lag, if it's the CPU?

Just now, Pepse said:

Battlefield 2042 is one of the worst games of the decade, the optimization with this game is terrible, walks with Cyberpunk, and Back 4 Blood isn't an example.

This is strange. Maybe the 3700X can't handle it, but it is a very good CPU...

Do you at least know what is causing this lag, if it's the CPU?

No worries can completely understand! 🙂

And I have absolutely no idea, it happens in almost every game ever since I got the PC and it annoys the hell out of me. Here is an example of the stutter I recorded in back for blood. But it occurs like this in almost all games.

https://streamable.com/5ba6ds

https://streamable.com/chv4kr

And yeah black mesa not getting to 120 at least was concerning.

Doom 2016 runs quite well in Vulcan mode, hovers between 120-140 frames. The only good experience with this PC so far.

A first step would be to not put things on ultra. This is because ultra settings are meant to be extremely taxing but return very little in terms of visual improvements if any.

Secondly the game does seem to have comments about running poorly on good systems so optimization issues most likely.

BF2042 is badly optimized on basicaly any platform no worries. Back for blood similar issues.

However there is one giveaway here with black mesa. It's a game that pushes the og source engine quite badly but tends to run pretty well. Are you sure your ram is actually in dual channel and what speed is it running at?

12 hours ago, jaslion said:

A first step would be to not put things on ultra. This is because ultra settings are meant to be extremely taxing but return very little in terms of visual improvements if any.

Secondly the game does seem to have comments about running poorly on good systems so optimization issues most likely.

BF2042 is badly optimized on basicaly any platform no worries. Back for blood similar issues.

However there is one giveaway here with black mesa. It's a game that pushes the og source engine quite badly but tends to run pretty well. Are you sure your ram is actually in dual channel and what speed is it running at?

RAM speed is I believe 3000Mhz

I did some user benchmark testing: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/53153849 as well as 3Dmark from steam: https://freeimage.host/i/3d-mark-1.hc7VRI and https://freeimage.host/i/3d-mark-2.hc7WNt Looks like my CPU is underperforming?

On 6/11/2022 at 1:56 AM, DonMatteo13 said:

RAM speed is I believe 3000Mhz

I did some user benchmark testing: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/53153849 as well as 3Dmark from steam: https://freeimage.host/i/3d-mark-1.hc7VRI and https://freeimage.host/i/3d-mark-2.hc7WNt Looks like my CPU is underperforming?

Yeah your all core boost seems to be about 3.7ghz when normal all core boost is between 4.1-4.3. So there might be a setting in the bios turned off that doesn't allow it to boost properly.

On 6/13/2022 at 8:22 AM, jaslion said:

Yeah your all core boost seems to be about 3.7ghz when normal all core boost is between 4.1-4.3. So there might be a setting in the bios turned off that doesn't allow it to boost properly.

Anything in particular in the bios I should look out for that might be the reason?

9 hours ago, DonMatteo13 said:

Anything in particular in the bios I should look out for that might be the reason?

Pbo might be what you need to turn on

The 3070 is plenty powerful for 1440p gaming, however it's not going to consistently pull 144FPS at Ultra settings. 

That's going to be a title-to-title basis. 

On 6/9/2022 at 6:37 PM, DonMatteo13 said:

Hi Guys,

so for Christmas I was gifted a gaming PC from my partner (very lucky I know). She doesn't know much about PC gaming so when she bought the system she asked if it could pretty much run everything coming out in the next few years (i.e 5ish years) on ultra with no problems. The guy that sold it to her said it should have no issue running everything at max frames on ultra (dependent on my monitor). I'm primarily a console gamer so my knowledge of PC stuff is limited. My monitor is 144hz so I was expecting to run everything between 120-140 frames with limited drops.

Anyway I just downloaded the Metal Hellsinger demo on steam (pretty rad you should check it out). And with everything thrown on ultra, the max frames I could get was 90 and it dipped into the 40's in the boss battle (with micro stutters every 10-15 seconds.)

My setup is as follows:

-OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit -Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor (16 CPUs), ~3.6GHz -Motherboard: MSI B450M MORTAR -Memory: 16Gb RAM DDR4 (dual channel) -Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 (2x Ventus) -PSU: RMx Series™ RM650x 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX -Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD (Game is installed here), Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb and Seagate HDD ST2000DM001-1ER164 2TB.-Monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ HDR 27" WQHD 2560x1440 165Hz

I thought it was relevant to mention the monitor as I have both G-sync and ELMB sync enabled.

From this, does anyone see a clear lacking and where a part needs to be replaced? Or everything here should run games better and my PC isn't optimised correctly perhaps?

Any feedback would be great!

Monitors and TV are only "capable".. In your case the monitor is capable of displaying 144 fps.. It has nothing to do with the frame rate of your computer.. You're numbers are perfectly fine. I also have a 144hz monitor and on ultra AC Odyssey averages 60fps, other games can crack ridiculous frame rates over 300 or even 1000's of frames per second (Quake for example).. The monitor or TV has no impact on your system performance, it's only "capable" of displaying X amount of frames per second.. It's a visual upgrade only..

There is another post here talking about micro-stutter on 3000 CPUs. They are known for their less than stellar latency, which can cause micro-stutter. This is why the 5000 series that came out over a year ago was such a hit, it fixed all the short comings in the 3000 series to make it a true gaming contender.

To be honest, the store should not have sold something 6 months ago with a 2.5 year old CPU at the time. You weren't to know, but OEMs and stores always clear out older CPUs in their systems because all anyone looks at is the GHzzzzz and they know it.

4 minutes ago, Cafuddled said:

There is another post here talking about micro-stutter on 3000 CPUs. They are known for their less than stellar latency, which can cause micro-stutter. This is why the 5000 series that came out over a year ago was such a hit, it fixed all the short comings in the 3000 series to make it a true gaming contender.

To be honest, the store should not have sold something 6 months ago with a 2.5 year old CPU at the time. You weren't to know, but OEMs and stores always clear out older CPUs in their systems because all anyone looks at is the GHzzzzz and they know it.

That would not cause stuttering in the way that the untrained eye would be bothered by it.  The entire last console gen was on bulldozer and people were fine with it.  The entire current console gen is on a lower frequency version of the zen 2 chip in question and people are cumming themselves over it.  This kind of stuttering is likely more tied to specific game coding or age than hardware shortcomings.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

10 hours ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

That would not cause stuttering in the way that the untrained eye would be bothered by it.  The entire last console gen was on bulldozer and people were fine with it.  The entire current console gen is on a lower frequency version of the zen 2 chip in question and people are cumming themselves over it.  This kind of stuttering is likely more tied to specific game coding or age than hardware shortcomings.

Few things to mention and I'll work back to front as it makes more sense. The consoles use GDDR6 on a custom SOC that has been tweaked every which way for games, very different than a 3000 series with some DDR4 and pick any low speed you want.

Bulldozer again was a custom SOC and again had much faster ram, and while it had low IPC it did not have the latency issues inherent in 3000 series and older.

And latency inside a CPU very much can cause micro-stutter of every kind, noticeable and otherwise, that's the part that depends on game and code to a degree. It's one of the good things about the monolithic Intel chips of old.

AMD have had to work hard to get the chiplet design to work as well as it does now, but 3000 series and below was known for it's sub-par gaming performance, stuttering being one of the more common complaints.