Radeon 6650xt crash upon installing/repairing drivers.

Story: This is my first pc build, and everything was going well. I started the pc up, and everything turned on as expected, and the monitor booted fine. However, upon checking to make sure all the components were detected, I noticed the GPU (Radeon 6650 XT) was not detected by the PC and was instead using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. After unplugging and replugging the graphics card, the 8 pin GPU power cable, the power supply, and the display port cables, I rebooted the pc and monitor. The monitor now displayed No Signal, despite all the connections being solid and it being set on Display Port. I unplugged and replugged everything in the same fashion multiple times, and the monitor finally turned on again. It still did not detect the GPU. This time, I used AMD's cleanup software to wipe the cards drivers, and then used AMD's autodetect driver software to redownload the drivers. (The autodetect did detect that the card was connected and fully powered.) At about 49% through with the driver installation, the screen flicked black, and then displayed No Signal. Upon unplugging and replugging everything again, the monitor would keep displaying No Signal. The monitor will now randomly work or display No Signal every time I unplug and replug everything. I tried repairing the drivers instead of completely wiping them and redownloading them on one occasion that the monitor did work, however it did the same thing and displayed No Signal. I tried plugging the monitor to a different device to see if it was the problem, and it worked completely fine. Rarely, after unplugging and replugging everything, and the monitor actually works, the pc will actually detect the GPU in device manager, but it just says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Error Code: 43) I've tried using HDMI, I've tried reinstalling the CMOS, and I've tried reinstalling the RAM. I've checked all cable connections as well. When pc starts up, the GPU fans start running, and stop after about 5 seconds. The RGB lights in the GPU remain on. 

UPDATE: the monitor turns back on 100% of the time now when pc is restarted after attempted driver installation shut-off. still black screens and says no signal when trying to install, or repair drivers still.

Windows Specifications: Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, version 21H2

System Specs:

Intel Core i5-12400f

ID-COOLING SE-214-XT ARGB WHITE 68.2 CFM CPU Cooler

MSI MAG B660M MORTAR WIFI DDR4 Micro ATX LGA 1700 Motherboard

Team T-Force Delta RGB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 RAM

Western Digital Blue SN550 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD

Powercolor Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB Hellhound GPU

Phanteks AMP 650 Watts 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

AOC 24G2 23.8" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor

BIOS Version:

(Most Recent)  7C94v1C2

Edited by vietiscool

We are having the SAME exact issue. One option someone suggested was to Flash the GPU BIOS, but I pulled the PowerColor 6650 XP and put is in another computer and it worked just fine, so I'm not confident that will fix the issue. We are taking the 6650 XP back and probably just going with the RTX 3060.

System Specs:

Intel I5-12400

MSI PRO B660M-A WIFI Board

Corsair (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 RAM

I'm also experiencing the exact same issue, and I can't help but notice how similar all our specs are.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

PowerColor Hellhound Spectral White AMD Radeon RX 6650 XT

Intel i3-12100F

MSI PRO B660M-A DDR4 Micro-ATX Motherboard

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz CL18

I contacted PowerColor and they mentioned they had been seeing some issues with MSI's 12th gen Intel motherboards but offered no solutions. I also contacted MSI and they just blamed the GPU. Perhaps the RAM is an issue since Alder Lake only officially supports 3200 (although mine is running at 2133)?

EDIT: PowerColor also suggested trying a different PCIe slot, but mine wouldn't fit since that slot is right on the edge where cables are plugged in.

UPDATE: It is the PCIe slot! At least for me. I had to unplug my front fan and USB ports to fit the card in slot 2, but it was able to install the drivers when I did that. It's only a PCIe 3.0 x4 slot for me, so probably not the best solution, but it's something.

Here's what PowerColor told me:

This issue’s been confirmed by both MSI & AMD Taipei.

The issue revolves around how the motherboard delivers power to lane 1.

When a ‘generic’ GPU is plugged in, the motherboard has no issues delivering the appropriate amount of power.

However, as soon as you install the driver you run into the power issue.

I bought the MSI PRO B660M-A WIFI DDR4 and PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 6650 XT Hellhound two weeks ago and had this exact issue. I found nothing online about it and tried everything including returning everything and buying it again, BIOS updates, CMOS reset, changing the top slot to 3.0, and on and on. It worked fine in the 4x slot but slow.  It worked fine in my old pc.  I contacted MSI and PowerColor.  MSI said there shouldn't be an issue, PowerColor said

"I just got off the phone with my team in Taipei.

It seems like there’s an issue with 12 gen intel MSI motherboards’ power delivery on that first PCIE lane.

When the GPU’s plugged in but drivers aren’t installed, everything seems to work fine.

But the minute the GPU starts to be utilize (ie. Drivers are installed) the motherboard isn’t supplying enough power to the lane.

" I sent this to MSI and they said they would forward it to their production team.  I haven't heard anything back from them.  Ended up buying another MOBO and now everything works fine.

• 3 weeks later...

i am having the same issue on a gigabyte motherboard with the black version

of the hellhound 

• 1 month later...

I have this same exact issue. Except it is with the Powercolor Fighter 6600XT. I've been trouble shooting all day, changed the PSU, it will only work in the top slot without drivers or in the second slot (Gen 3 x4). My GTX 970 works perfectly fine in my board.  Unfortunately my board is well past the return period which sucks since the Powercolor Fighter was at a great price. I think I'm just going to spend extra on a RTX 3060 so I don't have to deal with this headache.

System Specs:

i3-12100f

Corsair 3200 mhz 2 x 8 (16gb) CL16

MSI Pro B660M A

• 2 weeks later...

Update!

I got an MSI Mech 2X 6600XT and it runs flawlessly on my board.  The Powercolor card was put in my sisters older PC with an i7-4790 and a Gigabyte B85M board and it is also working flawlessly in her setup.

I also updated the MSI bios and had no success with the Powercolor card so I feels like its more likely an issue on Powercolor's side, although it is strange how it mostly seems to affect 12th Gen MSI boards.

• 3 months later...

Hello guys, i had to make account here so i can update you. I had Exact same problem !!!! and very similar specs also.
I tried basically everything from reseating my RAM, GPU, checking drivers updates, windows updates etc...
At the end i had to completely delete my drivers with DDU in safe mode and install new ones so that's what works for me.

But i generally wanted to talk about this topic, do you guy have often driver related problems with RX 6650 XT ??? leave a comment. 

My specs: 

RX 6650 XT XFX 

Ryzen 5 3600 
Corsair 3200 Mhz 2x8 
MSI X370 gaming pro carbon 

Seems like the fix could be setting your top pcie slot from pcie 4.0, to 3.0 for now.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)