OC'd CPU made GPU temps go up(?)

Gravemind
Go to solution Solved by BiotechBen,

A few °C difference is nothing to be super worried about. OC'ing the CPU may have let the GPU stretch it's legs more if the game is CPU bound with the FX chip. 

OC'd my FX-8300 by about 6% and noticed my GPU (RX-480 8gb) seems to be working harder than before, while CPU temps are going down.

Watching Youtube it'll go up to 110°F when it'd maybe only do 100°F before.

Playing Genshin Impact it'd usually level-out at 145°F and now in the exact same testing spot it'll be 155°F

So, what gives? Did the OC just throw my rig out of sync? Are the sensors wrong? Is my GPU actually working harder for some bizarre reason?

I won't know you're talking to me unless you reply/quote me.

10F difference isn't a great deal. A few degree swing seems normal to the ambient temp swing, be it room and case temps one or the other or both.

I think the temps look good either way. But use Celsius when monitoring temps. PCs are measured in the metric system.

2 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

10F difference isn't a great deal. A few degree swing seems normal to the ambient temp swing, be it room and case temps one or the other or both.

I think the temps look good either way. But use Celsius when monitoring temps. PCs are measured in the metric system.

When the temp' was always the same and it only happened immediately after my OC, then something's going on.

My room is always the same temperature so it's not that.

And no, Fahrenheit is more accurate so that's what I use.

A few °C difference is nothing to be super worried about. OC'ing the CPU may have let the GPU stretch it's legs more if the game is CPU bound with the FX chip. 

14 minutes ago, Gravemind said:

When the temp' was always the same and it only happened immediately after my OC, then something's going on.

My room is always the same temperature so it's not that.

OK. You overclocked. Things changed. The thermals a part of the result. Seems like minimal change to me. A couple of C = a few F.... lol. 

2 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

OK. You overclocked. Things changed. The thermals a part of the result. Seems like minimal change to me. A couple of C = a few F.... lol. 

Must be lonely up on Condescension Hill being all smug like that.

Thanks for literally nothing

Just now, Gravemind said:

That's why decimals exist. Celsius is what everyone else uses when monitoring computer temps, so saying 110F is just gibberish to most people. This is coming from an American who loves his freedom units, I have no clue how hot or cold 110F is on a PC without converting it to Celsius to know it's 43C, a temp that's warm for idle but not out of the ordinary. 

It's fine if you want to use it on your own time, but if you're gonna post anyway use C so we don't have to go and convert it ourselves. 

For why it's getting hotter in game, it's got less of a CPU bottleneck so it can push more FPS, thus get a bit warmer. Idle temps are usually all over the place anyway, and as long as they're below 50C and your load temps look good I wouldn't worry about it when watching youtube.

Just now, Gravemind said:

Must be lonely up on Condescension Hill being all smug like that.

Thanks for literally nothing

Some people can't handle truth and straight to the point answers. You're one of them. 

Enjoy your PC. 68.5c is under the recommended 70c of your chip. So you're all good to go!